Indiana Jones Land?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
will we ever see a Indiana Jones ride at Walt Disney World?
Don’t think so...

People forget that Indiana Jones is basically a dead franchise...a great time that has passed.

How is Disney going to make that relevant again without leaning too heavy on aging Gen Xers??

Hell...they did a BRILLIANT job with Star Wars 😳

UNCgolf

Don’t think so...

People forget that Indiana Jones is basically a dead franchise...a great time that has passed.

How is Disney going to make that relevant again without leaning too heavy on aging Gen Xers??

Hell...they did a BRILLIANT job with Star Wars 😳

They're filming a new Indy movie this summer, so it's not a dead franchise.

It may be creatively dead, though. Crystal Skull certainly doesn't inspire confidence that this new movie will be any good. But you know the Bobs would love to be able to open a new ride that tied into a recent film.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They're filming a new Indy movie this summer, so it's not a dead franchise.

It may be creatively dead, though. Crystal Skull certainly doesn't inspire confidence that this new movie will be any good. But you know the Bobs would love to be able to open a new ride that tied into a recent film.
I don’t see the market now...

The kids forget/ don’t know now...but the 3 IJ movies were the best/coolest overall of the 1980s...Star Wars without the toys...better than Star Wars from an audience perspective - actually...

But I think it’s trapped in time. Same as a new ghostbusters or a new top gun (stoked for both) May be good films...but not to the level of Disney “theme park investment” caliber...

I hope Indy comes back..:not a great park path though in my opinion. Really no attachment at all for anyone under 40

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Classics are classics. There is some things you just don't touch. Sure, you could upgrade the AA to better ones. It is nostalgic for a lot of people. Peter Pan is a ride, while nice, is less immersive than the Jungle Cruise. You want to get rid of that too? Do you remember the outcry about Country Bears Jamboree possibly leaving? Disney would have a riot if Jungle Cruise left. As others have said, build on expansion plots, absorb more crowds, and stop with this idiotic idea of getting rid of a classic. It will never happen...

But do expect The Rock to be put if the movie is successful!
I really hate those two!

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
and stop with this idiotic idea of getting rid of a classic. It will never happen...

Mr. Toad
20K Leagues
Mickey Review
Skyway
Snow White
Flight to the Moon
If You Had Wings
Mission to Mars
Great Movie Ride
Horizons
Communicore
Journey Into Imagination
Universe of Energy
World of Motion
Body Wars
Back Lot Tour

R.I.P.

Piebald

Epcot is in a bad state right now, but DHS is even worse. All things considered. Barely anything worthwhile to keep you there more than 2ish hours.

Studios is in a weird place right now. If you ride RoTR and get in very early then you're not necessarily wrong. Last time we went we got a BG for Rise and within less than 2 hours after opening we rode ToT 2x, RnRC, TSM and Falcon before riding Rise and being gone by lunch time. Is there more stuff to do? Sure. But the thought of being there ALL DAY is very lost on me whereas years ago I could have done it.

UNCgolf

Classics are classics. There is some things you just don't touch. Sure, you could upgrade the AA to better ones. It is nostalgic for a lot of people. Peter Pan is a ride, while nice, is less immersive than the Jungle Cruise. You want to get rid of that too? Do you remember the outcry about Country Bears Jamboree possibly leaving? Disney would have a riot if Jungle Cruise left. As others have said, build on expansion plots, absorb more crowds, and stop with this idiotic idea of getting rid of a classic. It will never happen...

But do expect The Rock to be put if the movie is successful!
I really hate those two!

I already addressed this. The Jungle Cruise only works as nostalgia, because the vast majority of the ride consists of fake versions of something you can actually see in real life at Animal Kingdom. It offers almost nothing else. A ride like Peter Pan doesn't have that problem.

I also mentioned that I still think the Disneyland version of Jungle Cruise should remain. That's Walt Disney's original classic anyways, not the Disney World clone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Mr. Toad
20K Leagues
Mickey Review
Skyway
Snow White
Flight to the Moon
If You Had Wings
Mission to Mars
Great Movie Ride
Horizons
Communicore
Journey Into Imagination
Universe of Energy
World of Motion
Body Wars
Back Lot Tour

R.I.P.
Touché

I was specifically calling out MK rides like the big 6.

Pirates
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder
Haunted Mansion

Everyone can call multiple attractions, classics. It’s there opinion. But I put Jungle up there with the above to be never removed. I was heartbroken on a good majority of your list as well.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
I already addressed this. The Jungle Cruise only works as nostalgia, because the vast majority of the ride consists of fake versions of something you can actually see in real life at Animal Kingdom. It offers almost nothing else. A ride like Peter Pan doesn't have that problem.

I also mentioned that I still think the Disneyland version of Jungle Cruise should remain. That's Walt Disney's original classic anyways, not the Disney World clone.
Agree to disagree.
You said it. Jungle Cruise works. Others think it works quite well. With merchandise, books, a restaurant, a movie, etc it’s not going anywhere. To think so is just armchair Imagineering.
Big 6 will stay.

UNCgolf

Agree to disagree.
You said it. Jungle Cruise works. Others think it works quite well. With merchandise, books, a restaurant, a movie, etc it’s not going anywhere. To think so is just armchair Imagineering.
Big 6 will stay.

I didn't say I think it will go anywhere; it definitely won't considering they have a movie coming out. I just think it SHOULD go. The others you mentioned shouldn't go anywhere but Jungle Cruise is fundamentally different than those 5. I also wonder how well it actually works for people who don't have nostalgia for the ride. How many people under the age of 25 care strongly about the Jungle Cruise? It could be a lot; I have no idea. If I was placing a bet, though, I'd wager that it isn't very many.

Regardless, as was already said, the expansion plot should be used before they close any existing attractions, and they don't seem to have any plans for it at the moment. It'll probably be a decade or more before they'd even have a potential reason to close Jungle Cruise.

FigmentFan82

I didn't say I think it will go anywhere; it definitely won't considering they have a movie coming out. I just think it SHOULD go. The others you mentioned shouldn't go anywhere but Jungle Cruise is fundamentally different than those 5. I also wonder how well it actually works for people who don't have nostalgia for the ride. How many people under the age of 25 care strongly about the Jungle Cruise? It could be a lot; I have no idea. If I was placing a bet, though, I'd wager that it isn't very many.

Regardless, as was already said, the expansion plot should be used before they close any existing attractions, and they don't seem to have any plans for it at the moment. It'll probably be a decade or more before they'd even have a potential reason to close Jungle Cruise.
Also, don't forget there's this...

Josh Hendy

Also, don't forget there's this...
Ok could be a good movie. But if it's about a magical "galaxy stone" or "jungle stone" talisman that kills people, brings them back to life and saves the jungle and/or universe, I'm gonna puke.

I've been catching up on a lot of films with Disney+ and I've had it up to here with plots that need Magical McGuffins to provide danger and interest.

doctornick

I'm not sure it's generational since the ride relies on a type of humor that appeals to some people and bores others. My spouse hates JC and thinks it is lame but my father absolutely adores it. I'm sure there are teens and people in their 20's who like JC. I would also think that some people who dislike JC when they are younger may grow to appreciate and enjoy it as they are older as our tastes can change - that angst ridden teenager who thinks every is lame isn't going to be like that forever.

That all being said, I think the greatest thing going for JC is that is somewhat unique among WDW offerings with its live spiel and brand of humor. It is among the things that helps broaden the experience of the parks by offering a contrast to other attractions. It is really nothing like the animal attractions at DAK so I find bringing them up odd. yes, if JC operated in the way that it was originally planned as a "true" safari just using fake animals, then this might be a valid point but it has not been run like that in decades (never at MK).

UNCgolf

I'm not sure it's generational since the ride relies on a type of humor that appeals to some people and bores others. My spouse hates JC and thinks it is lame but my father absolutely adores it. I'm sure there are teens and people in their 20's who like JC. I would also think that some people who dislike JC when they are younger may grow to appreciate and enjoy it as they are older as our tastes can change - that angst ridden teenager who thinks every is lame isn't going to be like that forever.

That all being said, I think the greatest thing going for JC is that is somewhat unique among WDW offerings with its live spiel and brand of humor. It is among the things that helps broaden the experience of the parks by offering a contrast to other attractions. It is really nothing like the animal attractions at DAK so I find bringing them up odd. yes, if JC operated in the way that it was originally planned as a "true" safari just using fake animals, then this might be a valid point but it has not been run like that in decades (never at MK).

That's fair. The ride is more about the humor of the operator than anything else happening in the ride. I personally don't find it very entertaining, but obviously others do.

Haven't there been discussions about eliminating the guides and going with a prerecorded spiel, though? I remember reading that somewhere, and that would definitely be a cost-cutting measure the Bobs would go for.

doctornick

Back to Indiana Jones.... how about this for an easy to develop land for DHS? Make it a "movie based" adventureland (maybe "action" something) and use the POTC from Shanghai plus the IJA ride from DL/Tokyo and then a smaller scale third attraction (e.g. Raging Spirits). Heck for a third attraction even just a well themed play area could be reasonable for placemaking. Having IJ set in a South American type location could jive with a Caribbean setting for Pirates.

All cloned attractions to keep costs (relatively) down. POTC would be all ages which the park still needs, IJA offers additional thrill in the park more oriented that way but with a ride system/experience unique to DHS. I know it will never happen, but would help to expand the park in a sensible way and bringoer some very popular attractions missing from the WDW roster.

(Also,if you used Shanghai's POTC, you could remove the Captain Jack stuff from MK's POTC making the two experiences more distinct and appeal to the nostalgia folks.)

rowrbazzle

These phases were when SWL was going behind Indy. A version of a Cars Land would have gone where LMA was with the M:I coaster butting up to where TSL was built.

I realize this isn't what you meant, but when I see M:I I think of Mission: Impossible. One could make some insane rides based on all the stuff Tom Cruise does in those movies. Maybe someone should get on that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom