Indiana Jones Land?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
After seeing Indy again this past week at HS, I can still confirm that it is an extremely popular show that still fills up to the sides with standing room only in the back. And I've seen it every time of the year in the past 2 years... August, November, June, December, January, and February. Packed house every time.

There's no denying Indy's popularity is still evident... Too bad they'll put it in the wrong park, though.

Last edited:

Eric M Blake

I mean...considering the mandatory Animal Enemies sequence in every movie, there IS a potential connection there, if the ride would be centered around that. In order for Indy to get X artifact he had to go through an ancient temple or whatever filled with creatures.

Perhaps the temple leads to a land of the dinosaurs...for example.😏

Cmdr_Crimson

I mean...considering the mandatory Animal Enemies sequence in every movie, there IS a potential connection there, if the ride would be centered around that. In order for Indy to get X artifact he had to go through an ancient temple or whatever filled with creatures.

Perhaps the temple leads to a land of the dinosaurs...for example.😏
I'll bring this up again...
maxresdefault.jpg

WondersOfLife

Is the show popular or is it in a park that is severely under built? DHS only 9 rides.
True. But a comparison to your statement would be to compare it to other shows in the same park. Beauty & the Beast and Frozen Singalong get good crowds too, but they aren't a capacity of 2,150 standing-room-only full... In fact, Those two shows always have several seats/bleachers left empty...

...Which leaves BATB with either 3/4ths full or half full of its 1,500 capacity... And Frozen with I'd say 3/4th's of its 1,000 seat theater per show...

So yea... 2,150 people per showing every hour or so is insanely popular for an opening day stunt show when people could simply just, not. :) People were lining up around the snack stand an hour before the queue opened up.

Bocabear

Isn't BATB a little long in the tooth at this point? Isn't it time to retire this show and maybe do something else... Even importing the Disneyland Mickey and the Magical Map show...which could be lightly styled to match the feel of MMRR and the Mickey Mouse shorts... Or just left as is....But it is seriously time for a fresh show... Sadly there is no Fantasyland Theater to host a refreshed and revamped version of the BATB show in a more appropriate park...

gerarar

Premium Member
I must admit, I love the BATB Live on Stage! show...and I really mean love.

Over the pandemic, for some reason I started watching a bunch of WDW's live stage shows (darn that algorithm). Two of them always stood out to me, BATB and Festival of the Lion King at AK. Even today, any livestream at DHS I always try to catch the show and any new recording that gets posted on YouTube.

It basically became another Fantasmic! for me, where I over-analyze the show, looking for certain casts and different quirks with every performance. Doesn't help the songs are so good and catchy imo.

When I visited WDW recently, I watched BATB at least 10 times over a 5-day trip. Idk, it's like a guilty pleasure to me lol. I also watched Lion King like 6 times throughout my solo trip. The older I get, the more appreciative I am of live stage shows other than just the rides.

I know it's dated, but for some reason it just comes across as "classic" to me. It was there when I was just a little kid visiting the parks with my parents in the early 2000's, and it's still there today when I visit the parks as a solo person. I also visited Disneyland recently, and the lack of live stage shows there is evident (The Hyperion especially). There is a lot more roaming characters, which I guess is a trade-off..

Hope it stays for many years more. Disney should build out the other parts of the park first (Launch Bay, Voyage of TLM, etc.) before doing any replacing at the very least. The Theater of the Stars does its job of pulling ~1k guests off the crowded streets of Hollywood Studios every hour or so.
VideoCapture_20231124-231353.jpg

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Isn't BATB a little long in the tooth at this point? Isn't it time to retire this show and maybe do something else... Even importing the Disneyland Mickey and the Magical Map show...which could be lightly styled to match the feel of MMRR and the Mickey Mouse shorts... Or just left as is....But it is seriously time for a fresh show... Sadly there is no Fantasyland Theater to host a refreshed and revamped version of the BATB show in a more appropriate park...
It's the 2nd to last "Eisner-ian" thing in the studio since VoTLM closed and it's showing it's age in awkwardness..plus it should be noted that during time of the lifespan of this show 3 voice actors have gone to a better place. As they never did any new recordings..
Fe0SkZ6WYAERGWa.jpg

WondersOfLife

Isn't BATB a little long in the tooth at this point?
Not nearly as long as Indy's run time ... 🤷 Not saying you're denying this. Just pointing it out to the topic at hand.

There's something to be said for Indy's super long run time and how well it has withstood the test of time while maintaining it's popularity in comparison to other shows in the park.

Old shows can be just as popular as old rides. Festival of the Lion King is another one of those... 👍

Cmdr_Crimson

Not nearly as long as Indy's run time ... 🤷 Not saying you're denying this. Just pointing it out to the topic at hand.

There's something to be said for Indy's super long run time and how well it has withstood the test of time while maintaining it's popularity in comparison to other shows in the park.

Old shows can be just as popular as old rides. Festival of the Lion King is another one of those... 👍
Which is why it feels so awkward to find out that they have been making a stunt show with second unit footage for a 42 year old movie.....
full

KikoKea

The Indiana Jones stunt show is the last vestige of the old MGM and "Hollywood Studios" theme of movie making. Backlot tour showed how effects were made (Pearl Harbor attack and Catastrophe Canyon), and the props in the warehouse and even the costume shop were interesting to see. I recall a show about sound effects, along with the Streets of NY facades and an animation studios tour that was fantastic and educational. They are all gone and replaced with rides about movies. To me, it is no longer about the magic of movie making. The park has become another park to stick in an IP, which is a shame since it could be so much more.

SteveAZee

The Indiana Jones stunt show is the last vestige of the old MGM and "Hollywood Studios" theme of movie making. Backlot tour showed how effects were made (Pearl Harbor attack and Catastrophe Canyon), and the props in the warehouse and even the costume shop were interesting to see. I recall a show about sound effects, along with the Streets of NY facades and an animation studios tour that was fantastic and educational. They are all gone and replaced with rides about movies. To me, it is no longer about the magic of movie making. The park has become another park to stick in an IP, which is a shame since it could be so much more.
Given the amount of CGI in films, to show current movie making would be a tour through a lot of people sitting at computers and performers in front of green screens... I suppose the irony may be that that was part of the original park tour.

Screamface

Given the amount of CGI in films, to show current movie making would be a tour through a lot of people sitting at computers and performers in front of green screens... I suppose the irony may be that that was part of the original park tour.
Maybe it would suck, but surely there'd be some way to adapt the video screen volume into an attraction of some sort.

Have people on a Star Wars speeder bike, film it on a volume. Give them a link to the video for them to share on the socials.

Robbiem

Maybe it would suck, but surely there'd be some way to adapt the video screen volume into an attraction of some sort.

Have people on a Star Wars speeder bike, film it on a volume. Give them a link to the video for them to share on the socials.

I’m sure you could do something with the volume as an attraction. The sphere in Las Vegas does a good job with similar tech.
Imagine something like the American Adventure where the theatre transforms to immerse you in the setting on stage, or replacing circle vision with a volume theatre

Indy_UK

I like that it is exclusive to Paris but they need a show like Mickey and the Magician.

SpectreJordan

I'd like for them to fully theme that area to the 30s/40s, so maybe a show set in that era or about a movie released then would be good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom