Disneyland's Rise Of The Resistance - Reviews, Criticism, Deep Thoughts

TrainsOfDisney

Lol, the only time I’ve seen it was at night and it was indeed awkward

It just drives me crazy how they would cut entertainers from a land that was designed for entertainers. While the land would still have a few issues, I would want to go and spend time if there were little shows happening all the time on the stages instead of chewie just awkwardly looking at a plane. No joke.... last time I saw it, he just kept “working on the plane” until someone happened to play the game that activated the engine noises and he walked away as if he did something.

Disney has access to some amazing improv actors... if they can afford to have them roaming DCA and DHS (the Citizens...) they can afford to have them in the brand new billion dollar land.

Disney Analyst

I feel that their intentions were good and when they set to make GE an “original” land. One being to respect Disneyland. But they kind of ended up in No Mans Land. Not really appealing to Uber Star Wars Fans or Uber Disneyland fans And ended up in this gray area of mildly appealing to everyone.

I mean, TBH not the worst place for them to be. They can easily turn things around and make improvements, as the bones are really really good.

Disney Analyst

I would say it’s a bad place to be after spending so much money but I do agree it can be easily fixed with some more money and the right leadership.

I want to say, I don't actually think Star Wars is easy. There are SO many perspectives and wants out there. In fact, it probably would have been easier for them to build the land they did as an original without any Star Wars reference and it would likely be a bigger success.

I do think they went a direction they thought would work, and they are likely evaluating what does and doesn't.

mickEblu

I want to say, I don't actually think Star Wars is easy. There are SO many perspectives and wants out there. In fact, it probably would have been easier for them to build the land they did as an original without any Star Wars reference and it would likely be a bigger success.

I do think they went a direction they thought would work, and they are likely evaluating what does and doesn't.

I agree that Star Wars isn’t easy and doesn’t necessarily perfectly translate to a theme park land but I don’t think an IP’less GE would be a bigger success. At least the Star Wars IP can distract people a little bit from how lifeless the land is. I think a good way to put it is that it wouldn’t be more successful but there would probably be fewer complaints.

fctiger

For story purposes, the Resistance base is in a well hidden, inconspicuous forested area tucked away from Black Spire Outpost and Kylo probably isn't about to just go wandering around the wilderness aimlessly when he can press others in a populated area for what they might know or what they might have seen. Now, in real life, yes, this transition of areas equates to about 100 yards or so probably but again, suspension of disbelief. The same disbelief we all use to accept the Temple of the Forbidden Eye being steps away from a southern bayou that waterfalls straight into a fantastic tale of pirates.

At least it makes more sense and more effort was put in here than over on Star Tours where you could theoretically obtain a ride combination that takes you to the Battle of Hoth (a planet that in canon hasn't had a battle like the one we've seen before and has been avoided by the Empire up until that moment for that reason and because it has never truly been hospitable) and then moments later jump to an under construction first Death Star over Geonosis (or heck, even the battle of Exogal once Disney finally goes back to random scenarios).

Sometimes I think people forget it's a theme park at the end of the day, you have to suspend some belief. It's like asking why do Peter Pan, Pinochio, Snow White and Alice all exist in the same area although they are separated by multiple countries and time periods. Of course no one asks that because they understand its a theme park and it's not unlimited in terms of space.

Phroobar

I think it breaks theme to have railings. There are no railings in Star Wars! Not immersive enough. Also, why aren't we paying with credits?
There are railings in this picture. I can't help that people climb over them to empty expanses.

skywalkers.jpg

BubbaQuest

I know there is another thread in the WDW forum, but hoping for some less-sparkly insights here:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...d-resorts-and-slight-attendance-gains.963222/

So pre-RotR but full Ahora mode, Disney only saw a 2% increase in attendance?! That's gotta hurt. Spending is up, but it sure feels like they are just milking the same people for more money. Anyone have details on how much Hong Kong lowered the overall numbers?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know there is another thread in the WDW forum, but hoping for some less-sparkly insights here:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...d-resorts-and-slight-attendance-gains.963222/

So pre-RotR but full Ahora mode, Disney only saw a 2% increase in attendance?! That's gotta hurt. Spending is up, but it sure feels like they are just milking the same people for more money. Anyone have details on how much Hong Kong lowered the overall numbers?

Sparkly doesn't mean lies, untruths, or ignorance.

The numbers in question are for the domestic parks, Orlando's 4 and Anaheim's 2.

A 2% increase for the year would be an extra 1.7 million people visiting the domestic parks. That's what happens when you already have a huge base, it's difficult to move that percentage figure. If, for example, there was a park that only got 10 million guests per year, then a 1.7 million increase would be 17%! For the domestic Disney parks, any small percentage increase is still a huge number of people.

To give you the less sparkliness you crave, yes, Disney is trying to squeeze more money from each guest. Bob admits as much every quarterly call when he talks about that there's still room to increase yield (and at the same time to distribute guests to off-peak times thru discounts).

In the quarterly call they talked about the coronavirus. They mentioned that China's problem parks could be a $135million hit to their international parks division if they're closed for 2 months. They also mentioned that of the top five foreign visiting countries to the domestic parks, Japan just squeezes in and no other Asian country is significant to domestic attendance.

China's problems won't stop domestic capital expense. Tho, no mention of it affecting daily operations expense.

Disney Analyst

Sparkly doesn't mean lies, untruths, or ignorance.

The numbers in question are for the domestic parks, Orlando's 4 and Anaheim's 2.

A 2% increase for the year would be an extra 1.7 million people visiting the domestic parks. That's what happens when you already have a huge base, it's difficult to move that percentage figure. If, for example, there was a park that only got 10 million guests per year, then a 1.7 million increase would be 17%! For the domestic Disney parks, any small percentage increase is still a huge number of people.

To give you the less sparkliness you crave, yes, Disney is trying to squeeze more money from each guest. Bob admits as much every quarterly call when he talks about that there's still room to increase yield (and at the same time to distribute guests to off-peak times thru discounts).

In the quarterly call they talked about the coronavirus. They mentioned that China's problem parks could be a $135million hit to their international parks division if they're closed for 2 months. They also mentioned that of the top five foreign visiting countries to the domestic parks, Japan just squeezes in and no other Asian country is significant to domestic attendance.

China's problems won't stop domestic capital expense. Tho, no mention of it affecting daily operations expense.

Thank you for stating this so perfectly!

It is hard to see the percents people expect with new huge lands at Disney parks, as they are basing them off parks with historically lower attendance. When IOA had Hogwarts built, of course the park had a HUGE percentage increase, it was already on the lower end. It's the same with DCA's expansion/redevelopment. I would also assume when we see the numbers for DHS individually, it will be a much higher percent.

Disneyland itself can only go so much higher.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom