News Tomorrowland love

Princess Leia

Iger will save it with a Nightmare Before Christmas overlay that proves guests should trust character-driven updates!

...One of the funniest and most inaccurate statements in episode five. ;)
I literally just watched this episode and was floored when they tied the Nightmare overlay to Iger.
Fixing DCA, HK, and DSP? Great.
Adding new technologies to the parks? Great!
Tying the Nightmare overlay to Bob’s overlay or whatever? What?!

I haven’t watched the sixth episode, but they barely touched on Disney World in the fifth, outside of briefly talking about the AA for Lumiere. The Mine Train would have been a better talking point than NBC.

trainplane3

I literally just watched this episode and was floored when they tied the Nightmare overlay to Iger.

I haven’t watched the sixth episode, but they barely touched on Disney World in the fifth, outside of briefly talking about the AA for Lumiere. The Mine Train would have been a better talking point than NBC.
The 6th episode was pretty forgettable personally. They talked about Shanghai (and the classic like of "Chinese thought the original PotC is boring) mainly. Seeing bits of RotR drop system was neat and the quick peeks at Beauty and Beast for Tokyo was nice. That's about it. I enjoyed it up to 4 and eye rolled most of 5 and 6.

raymusiccity

I give you... Boston City Hall, AKA Brutalism!

View attachment 444612

The difference between the 50's Googie architecture and the 70's space age architecture is found in the connective tissue. There's more organic smoothing out of the edges in the 70's forms. More whimsical knobbery in the 50's. But they are more akin to a single aesthetic that evolved over time than two competing aesthetics.
I give you Farm Bureau, not too far north of Disney !
IMG_0061.JPG

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This thread...
tenor.gif
Well, try reading it with "Google" instead of "Googie."

It hurts even more.

Who better to claim responsibility for a Disney nightmare?

britain

Nightmare represents the birth of the overlays trend. That's worth mentioning in one of the chapters. Mine Train? Eh, it's just another rollercoaster in a mountain.

Brer Panther

According to the show, WDI was already planning a Route 66 land that they chose to re-theme to Cars after it hit theaters. And they didn’t know what kind of ride system to use until someone visited Epcot and remembered Test Track.
You are correct. Kevin Rafferty talks about it in his recently-released book, Magic Journeys. Before Cars came out, they were developing a new land for Disney's California Adventure called Carland, which would've been set in a similar Route 66 town. The main attraction was an Autopia-esque ride called "Road Trip U.S.A." with guests riding in small cars through desert mountains and caverns, and there was also a dark ride called "Junkyard Jamboree" featuring cars and car parts in a junkyard coming to life and playing music at night. "Road Trip U.S.A." was eventually revised into a ride called "Goofy About Roadtrips" starring Goofy. Then when the Imagineers found out about Cars, they reworked "Goofy About Roadtrips" as a Cars-themed ride, then they eventually decided to make the entire land Cars-themed.

trainplane3

Just wishing.
Ah too bad. I'm hoping the Your World group opens the alpha back up soon. I really want to see what kind of progress they've made.
L1oHKcK.png

Edit: Figured out how to launch it again. Enjoy the stupidly huge FOV:
0XMG6sr.png

I'm still glad they're reverting most of it. Is anything going to happen to the Astro Orbiter? It doesn't exactly match the new direction of the land.

Edit:
I should've shared this back on SM's anniversary:
zcrxCRm.png

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Ah too bad. I'm hoping the Your World group opens the alpha back up soon. I really want to see what kind of progress they've made.
L1oHKcK.png

Edit: Figured out how to launch it again. Enjoy the stupidly huge FOV:
0XMG6sr.png

I'm still glad they're reverting most of it. Is anything going to happen to the Astro Orbiter? It doesn't exactly match the new direction of the land.

Edit:
I should've shared this back on SM's anniversary:
zcrxCRm.png

These grabs are gorgeous... what is this from?

trainplane3

These grabs are gorgeous... what is this from?
It's Your World, a multiplayer park simulation and general game...thing. It's kind of hard to explain. It got my attention because of the 1979 TL park. You can do Rocket to the Moon (featuring footage from @marni1971), the Star Jets, the PM, and (unofficially) the Skyway. It's a really neat project. There's bugs and weirdness (the PM railings not loading when you're close to them on ground level for example) but it's pretty awesome and I look forward to the future of it. You can sign up here and see if they let you in: https://yourworld.azurewebsites.net/

p0jPCY7.png

(tweaked FOV and resolution manually)

There's a test coming up soon but they aren't saying what it'll be. Is it a TL update, one of the other parks, or something completely different? They do encourage sharing screenshots of it as well (at least they did back over the summer). If it's a TL update and they allow sharing, I'll post a few to this thread.

tirian

It's Your World, a multiplayer park simulation and general game...thing. It's kind of hard to explain. It got my attention because of the 1979 TL park. You can do Rocket to the Moon (featuring footage from @marni1971), the Star Jets, the PM, and (unofficially) the Skyway. It's a really neat project. There's bugs and weirdness (the PM railings not loading when you're close to them on ground level for example) but it's pretty awesome and I look forward to the future of it. You can sign up here and see if they let you in: https://yourworld.azurewebsites.net/

p0jPCY7.png

(tweaked FOV and resolution manually)

There's a test coming up soon but they aren't saying what it'll be. Is it a TL update, one of the other parks, or something completely different? They do encourage sharing screenshots of it as well (at least they did back over the summer). If it's a TL update and they allow sharing, I'll post a few to this thread.
THAT picture gave me chills. Old-school TL felt like you could really be traveling into the future. But FWIW, 1994 TL was a huge success too. The land didn’t start falling apart until (a) its Toonification and (b) reduced maintenance.

I’m happy to see a retro-inspired TL, but I also would’ve been happy with a fully restored TL ‘94.

trainplane3

THAT picture gave me chills. Old-school TL felt like you could really be traveling into the future. But FWIW, 1994 TL was a huge success too. The land didn’t start falling apart until (a) its Toonification and (b) reduced maintenance.

I’m happy to see a retro-inspired TL, but I also would’ve been happy with a fully restored TL ‘94.
I won't disagree with TL 94. They should've pushed the land overhaul out to SM to really wrap it all up instead of being all alien-futurey in the front and retro future in the back (party in the front, business in the back...a reverse mullet). I love the retro future style we're getting so I won't complain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom