Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Uh...there's literally a whole scene in ANH where Obi Wan teaches Luke to tap into the Force to block blaster shots from the training remote. Later in the movie, he taps into the Force to hit the exhaust port, something a decorated combat pilot with a tageting computer was not able to do. Yoda is seen concentrating to use the Force to lift Luke's X-wing out of the swamp.

It is without dispute that a Jedi's abilities and actions derive from their ability to tap into and use the Force. Its just shown to be effortless/second nature in most of the films because they are trained Jedi Knights.

Force Healing
Then why didn’t Luke “tap into the force” and easily beat Vader in ESB like Rey did to Kylo? Why didn’t Yoda do it to Palpatine? Why didn’t Qui-Gon do it to Maul? Obi-Wan to Vader in ANH? Etc, etc, etc...

Again, what makes her so special aside from the obvious?
Like it or not, trib...that is a complete canon rewrite.

The original concept was the force can only be used by the “gifted”

Obviously the latent ability would exist in the son of the most powerful force character ever...and Obiwan knows that as one of 3 “all knowing” individuals at that time (2 good...1 bad)

What they have done in 7 and 8 doesn’t jive with that at all...and it wasn’t broke.

As silly as midichlorians was...that still can be reconciled.

Finn battling, Rey knowing what to do out of nowhere, Kyle being easily beaten with no explanation....to say nothing of
Luke...doesn’t make any damn sense.

To say nothing of slave boys playing like a kid in the backyard circa 1980....

Last edited:

Mike S

Have you not been paying attention to most television commercials in recent years? The answer is pretty clear. Men are incapable, brain-dead scum. Get with the times. ;)

I can see the humor but if these were flipped oh boy...
tenor.gif

Joesixtoe

Then why didn’t Luke “tap into the force” and easily beat Vader in ESB like Rey did to Kylo? Why didn’t Yoda do it to Palpatine? Why didn’t Qui-Gon do it to Maul? Obi-Wan to Vader in ANH? Etc, etc, etc...

Again, what makes her so special aside from the obvious?
To be fair I think Chewbacca's blaster was purposefully shown to be powerful throughout the movie. So that when Kylo got shot by it, its supposed to really hurt him. Finn gets a hit on Kylo, and Rey was getting beat pretty easily, until she taps into the force and over powers Kylo. How she did that with no training? I don't know, supposedly she got the knowledge when Kylo tapped into her mind(almost Matrix like). I guess that's a better reasoning than doing it out of thin air

Mike S

To be fair I think Chewbacca's blaster was purposefully shown to be powerful throughout the movie. So that when Kylo got shot by it, its supposed to really hurt him. Finn gets a hit on Kylo, and Rey was getting beat pretty easily, until she taps into the force and over powers Kylo. How she did that with no training? I don't know, supposedly she got the knowledge when Kylo tapped into her mind(almost Matrix like). I guess that's a better reasoning than doing it out of thin air
Then why couldn’t anyone else ever do this before? Seems like something Jedi Masters should be able to do. Losing a fight? No problem, “tap into the force” and you’ll win. Oh, the quick and easy path is supposed to lead to the Dark Side? Nonsense! We’ve got a new role model to promote 🙂

I have a different theory on the source of it:

Lazy writing.

Edit: Also Kylo had no injury in TLJ. At least in that movie Rey should’ve had her butt handed to her but no, can’t ruin the perfect role model by having her skills actually be tested 😒

They also unceremoniously killed off the only one who could do that with Snoke. No wonder they needed the Emperor back and couldn’t just have Kylo in charge. She’d just win again for the third time with no stakes lol.

Last edited:

Joesixtoe

Then why couldn’t anyone else ever do this before? Seems like something Jedi Masters should be able to do. Losing a fight? No problem, “tap into the force” and you’ll win. Oh, the quick and easy path is supposed to lead to the Dark Side? Nonsense! We’ve got a new role model to promote 🙂

I have a different theory on the source of it:

Lazy writing.

Edit: Also Kylo had no injury in TLJ. At least in that movie Rey should’ve had her butt handed to her but no, can’t ruin the perfect role model by having her skills actually be tested 😒 They also unceremoniously killed off the only one who could do that with Snoke. No wonder they needed the Emperor back and couldn’t just have Kyle in charge. She’d just win again for the third time with no stakes lol.
I'm hoping Kylo gets the best of her a few times in this next one. I honestly cannot remember what you guys are talking about with her beating him in TLJ? Are you guys talking about when the light saber broke between them two during a force pull? Kylo did beat up those red guards a lot more convincingly than Rey did I think. Man I'm starting to sound like a Disney trilogy apologist.. I'm sorry im really not lol..
I wish Kylo was the main bad guy in this next one, no need for Palpatine. That or somehow Rey goes dark. I don't know how they are going to unit all films.. after reading the leaks, I still don't see it

Mike S

I'm hoping Kylo gets the best of her a few times in this next one. I honestly cannot remember what you guys are talking about with her beating him in TLJ? Are you guys talking about when the light saber broke between them two during a force pull? Kylo did beat up those red guards a lot more convincingly than Rey did I think. Man I'm starting to sound like a Disney trilogy apologist.. I'm sorry im really not lol..
I wish Kylo was the main bad guy in this next one, no need for Palpatine. That or somehow Rey goes dark. I don't know how they are going to unit all films.. after reading the leaks, I still don't see it
No problem it’s all in good taste.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You'll know it when you hear it. ;)

And no, it doesn't spoil anything, at least for me. Rather, raises a multitude of more questions & curiosities.
(And there's always the chance that my imagination is over-hyping what's going on when it plays to far more epic possibilities than what's in the final product).
I thought it was rather innocuous. Can’t get a good read on whether they have a decent story with thus movie or not.

It will all be over soon 😎

Darth Snips

I don't usually come into this thread (especially right before the movie comes out), but I wanted to bring this conversation to the appropriate location:
John Boyega Says ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Left Him Feeling ‘a Bit Iffy’

"I didn't necessarily agree with a lot of the choices in that and that's something that I spoke to Mark [Hamill] a lot about," actor told Hypebeast

Daisy Ridley Was Disappointed by 'The Last Jedi'

Many Star Wars fans have strong opinions on The Last Jedi. A lot of hardcore fans were upset by the film’s storyline. What might surprise you is someone very close to Star Wars was disappointed by the film: Daisy Ridley
That is now Hamill, Ridley, Boyega that have expressed a dislike for the film.
Contracts are over and they can speak freely now.
For the record, I don't think the part about Daisy Ridley is accurate. I saw that article a couple of days ago; it's VERY clickbait-y. The only quote they had was the one where she says that she understands the backlash against the film. There's a big difference between understanding why some folks don't like the film and disliking it yourself. I know that's where I fall on the spectrum: I personally loved the movie, but I get why a lot of people didn't. It made some bold choices. I thought they worked. But I totally get the fans that were disappointed.

I wish that more people would acknowledge a middle ground. Not everyone on the planet falls into the to extreme camps of adoring TLJ or hating it. TLJ did not "kill" Star Wars, nor did it "save" Star Wars. It was just a Star Wars movie that frustrated some fans and pleased some others. And like I said, I can see both sides.

Anyways, I'm gonna step back out of this thread. I might come back once I see the movie next week. I guess it'll depend on how much the conversation devolves into people yelling the same things at each other over and over again ("It was a great movie!" "It was terrible movie!" "It's better than ESB!" "It's worse than TPM!" "This movie proves that Star Wars is thriving!" "This movie proves that Star Wars is dead!" etc...)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't usually come into this thread (especially right before the movie comes out), but I wanted to bring this conversation to the appropriate location:

For the record, I don't think the part about Daisy Ridley is accurate. I saw that article a couple of days ago; it's VERY clickbait-y. The only quote they had was the one where she says that she understands the backlash against the film. There's a big difference between understanding why some folks don't like the film and disliking it yourself. I know that's where I fall on the spectrum: I personally loved the movie, but I get why a lot of people didn't. It made some bold choices. I thought they worked. But I totally get the fans that were disappointed.

I wish that more people would acknowledge a middle ground. Not everyone on the planet falls into the to extreme camps of adoring TLJ or hating it. TLJ did not "kill" Star Wars, nor did it "save" Star Wars. It was just a Star Wars movie that frustrated some fans and pleased some others. And like I said, I can see both sides.

Anyways, I'm gonna step back out of this thread. I might come back once I see the movie next week. I guess it'll depend on how much the conversation devolves into people yelling the same things at each other over and over again ("It was a great movie!" "It was terrible movie!" "It's better than ESB!" "It's worse than TPM!" "This movie proves that Star Wars is thriving!" "This movie proves that Star Wars is dead!" etc...)
If what they were making was “good”...there would be way less fire under the “smoke” of this debate.

This is so eerily like the prequels...it was just wasn’t internet based discussions then. If you have to analyze why things are being analyzed so heavily? Then the story has failed. It’s not grabbing you and taking you out of your time and space. That’s what great stories do.

Honestly - when I was much younger - I never really questioned the plot holes of the originals or remember shaking my head at what was corny during a viewing.

Never really did it with the Harry Potter’s either...just an hour or two of escapism.

Neither Peter Jackson’s lord of rings. But I did do it with the hobbits. What’s the difference? I don’t know...you decide.

I think the “debate” proves the problems with Disney movies to be real...from the start. Shouldn’t be this divisive.

That isn’t just the Last Johnson. They rebooted in 7 and that was always dangerous with a huge, rabidly invested fan base. Star Wars is a unique fanbase and always has been. The missteps will be magnified and dissention amplified.

That’s a mistake Lucas learned to where he was angry and sold 15 years later...he was kinda “broken”. Disney is too proud of its “labels”. It thinks the “D” makes everything they do a sell.
Now they are knee deep in what can happen with something this iconic. It’s not Mickey Mouse...a completely different “animal”

Have a good one everyone...for the record: I hope they made a good movie. But it doesn’t look good, frankly.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok, this is gold 🤣
On a side note...it’s pretty obvious the press restrictions/NDAs on the actors just ran out...

I like that they can talk now...it benefits the franchise to speak freely and not just have hamill be the target.

If Kennedy/Disney wasn’t stupid - they would direct everyone to crap on Ep. 8. Sacrificial lamb. Johnson isn’t going anywhere near a Star Wars anyway

Mike S

Looks like some leaks might be very true after all.

Also as I expected Palpatine’s return seems to have no real purpose other than “crap, we need a villain that’s actually intimidating!”

What a joke lol

Still seeing it as it’s always nice to watch a wreck. Maybe Disney can go Ghostbusters on this in the future?

Magenta Panther

Looks like some leaks might be very true after all.

Also as I expected Palpatine’s return seems to have no real purpose other than “crap, we need a villain that’s actually intimidating!”

What a joke lol

Still seeing it as it’s always nice to watch a wreck. Maybe Disney can go Ghostbusters on this in the future?

...so you liked the new Ghostbusters trailer too...?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom