Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

britain

I guess they opted to not do it (yet?) cause reasons.

I thought the effect is there in the ride, it's just a more of a corner-garnishing effect rather than a feature:

1575921328202.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The closest thing I've seen to the laser blast effect are the spinning lights to simulate "blasts" flying at you only in this scene:
View attachment 431842
View attachment 431843
View attachment 431844

View attachment 431845
Yep. Not quite like this

018D19AA-8FE9-41A5-9882-1C2218F2CB01.jpeg

The biggest gap is in the ATAT hanger. Troopers clearly shooting at you and the other RV but with no laser bolt. Like I said you can’t change physics. Don’t get me started on the real spark effects either. Thats a possible effect. Disney perfected it. But it requires constant upkeep.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I thought the effect is there in the ride, it's just a more of a corner-garnishing effect rather than a feature:

It's a fair point I just wonder if it's the wrong effect for the storyline. Without the physical beams it's not nearly as imposing or threatening. On video it reads less like "weapon beams" and more like "warning beacons".

BasiltheBatLord

I still can’t believe they thought that last Kylo animatronic was a good idea. I get the intention, but it was laughable to watch him flail his arms and look inhuman.
They got his hand motions totally wrong. When bad guys are force pulling something they're supposed to have their palms facing them (see Vader force choke) for some reason he has both of his palms stretched outwards like he has his hands up.

disneygeek90

Havn't ridden in person (so maybe its obvious how its done IRL), but from the videos, the one effect that still has me mesmerized with confusion is this ceiling area right after the probe droid.

Solid ceiling with no visible seams.

Projection of blaster bolt

Ceiling chunk physically missing (you can see the wall behind/through it).

Most impressive. I assume there MUST be two ceiling chunks that physically retract very quickly timed with the blaster bolt projection, but it is literally seamless (on video at least).
That's super impressive. Those are the details that I missed the first time around that I'll definitely be looking for in future rides.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Yep. Not quite like this

View attachment 431849

The biggest gap is in the ATAT hanger. Troopers clearly shooting at you and the other RV but with no laser bolt. Like I said you can’t change physics. Don’t get me started on the real spark effects either. Thats a possible effect. Disney perfected it. But it requires constant upkeep.

Wouldn't a serviceable effect be achievable using laser diodes, mirrors and haze/fog? I mean I've "Star Wars'd" it up using a dollar store laser pointer before surely Disney could do something of higher caliber with better materials.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wouldn't a serviceable effect be achievable using laser diodes, mirrors and haze/fog? I mean I've "Star Wars'd" it up using a dollar store laser pointer before surely Disney could do something of higher caliber with better materials.
No idea. You'd still need to move a shaft of light with a physical, visible start and end point through the air.

Stripes

Havn't ridden in person (so maybe its obvious how its done IRL), but from the videos, the one effect that still has me mesmerized with confusion is this ceiling area right after the probe droid.

View attachment 431838

View attachment 431839

View attachment 431840

Most impressive. I assume there MUST be two ceiling chunks that physically retract very quickly timed with the blaster bolt projection, but it is literally seamless (on video at least).
A similar effect is used here. It's a little hard to notice, but if the video is bright, HD, and you slow it down, you can see that while the projection mapping makes a gash in the crate, a flap flips back revealing the interior of the crate.
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 12.20.57 PM.png

rsm

I think hazing the room would have done wonders and even though the beams would not travel "slowly" from source to target, you would still see the volume of the beam in the air.

My guess is they did not do this because it was also give away the location of EVERY bloody projector in the whole building, for which there appear to be millions :)

ifuhadreams

It's a fair point I just wonder if it's the wrong effect for the storyline. Without the physical beams it's not nearly as imposing or threatening. On video it reads less like "weapon beams" and more like "warning beacons".
That is the way it reads in person as well. This is probably the single most disappointing part of the ride to me. There were a lot of missed opportunities, but the expectations that both WDI and marketing have set up with respect to the laser beams in mid-air effect have created the biggest unnecessary disappointment in my opinion.

The Kylo hallway walk affect is absolutely incredible. There are a few other wonderful moments in the experience, but the things that are missing leaves me wondering if either they were just hyping or they ran into unexpected issues that have not been resolved yet or may never be.

ifuhadreams

My thoughts exactly. Again, not WDIs fault. If anyone is to blame it’s marketing.
WDI, specifically Paul Bailey, stated publicly that they have figured out how to achieve this effect and it would be used in the ride. Looking at the patent it is a pretty ingenious method to make it happen. You project the beam of light and sequentially reveal parts of the beam.

Squishy

How do boarding groups work? I was at Disney springs guest relations and the guy told me I cannot join a boarding group until the posted opening time, even if the park opens early.

Rteetz

How do boarding groups work? I was at Disney springs guest relations and the guy told me I cannot join a boarding group until the posted opening time, even if the park opens early.
You have to be inside DHS to join a boarding group. They have been opening the park and starting boarding groups well before park opening so far.

The Pho

You enter the park and you hit the join boarding group button on the app. Everyday but Sunday, boarding groups were open as the first people entered. On Sunday they held off opening boarding groups for the first hour. Do not wait until the posted opening time, or you will not get one.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
WDI, specifically Paul Bailey, stated publicly that they have figured out how to achieve this effect and it would be used in the ride. Looking at the patent it is a pretty ingenious method to make it happen. You project the beam of light and sequentially reveal parts of the beam.
That’s what I thought but have yet to see.

Mike S

View attachment 431838

View attachment 431839

View attachment 431840

Dude I didn’t even notice that...

Also is it just me or could those first two troopers have been AAs instead? Just a minor thing.

Disney Analyst

Dude I didn’t even notice that...

Also is it just me or could those first two troopers have been AAs instead? Just a minor thing.

I thought about that, but I don't know how they'd get that classic storm trooper freakout/noticing moment into shooting without it looking cheezy. I assume it's why they chose screens for all Storm Troopers shooting at you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom