working out for Disney

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wow, @epcotisbest ! How on earth did they let you get so close (to take your first photo in the group you shared here) to that F/A 18 Hornet?! :jawdrop:

I haven't been to any air show in years, but I do recall one time walking up (about the same distance that you were) to one of the Thunderbird's (Air Force) planes, and the MPs turned on their truck siren. Ha! Needless to say, I very slowly walked backwards about an additional 30 feet . . . ;):D

epcotisbest

Wow, @epcotisbest ! How on earth did they let you get so close (to take your first photo in the group you shared here) to that F/A 18 Hornet?! :jawdrop:

I haven't been to any air show in years, but I do recall one time walking up (about the same distance that you were) to one of the Thunderbird's (Air Force) planes, and the MPs turned on their truck siren. Ha! Needless to say, I very slowly walked backwards about an additional 30 feet . . . ;):D

That particular Blue Angels plane was a static display and not one of the ones flying. Photo taken very early in the morning before crowd arrived. At the airshow they have many airplanes on display on the tarmac that you can walk right up to, touch it if you want to, and some you can even sit in.
Some people even set up their lawn chairs or blankets under the shade of some of the bigger airplane's wings.
Now mind you, some of the static display planes are roped off and highly guarded, but most allow you up close. Many have crew members stationed to answer questions and take photos etc...
The participants in the flying part of the show are not located in the same area as the static displays and you can't get real close to them.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Here is an example of the static displays with the Blue Angels in the background. You can kinda see how close you can get. This is not my photo, but one I found online from a different airshow.

View attachment 424326

Yah, that makes sense. Whether Blue Angels or Thunderbirds, those guys (and their crews) tightly guard those puppies like they're Fort Knox!! ;)

Nice that they did have one (not presently used in the performance) in static, that you could get so close to, though.

HouCuseChickie

I'm still here :) I've been dealing with some aches and pains from my runs last week. I really can't for the life of me figure out why my body hates temps in the 40s so much. It's not just running...it's everything. It hits 49 degrees and suddenly my body behaves like it's 20 below. And as soon as it hits 39 or 50, it's all happy again. I have a similar response to temps in the teens and when it's below -10. The minus 10 and the teens is more normal, but the 40s has always been a real head scratcher for me. Case in point, I ran in 47 degree temps last Thursday and all of my muscles started seizing up. I am still recovering from some of the pains and aftermath of that run, so I went gentle on Monday when it was in the 50s and didn't push as hard as I wanted to today, even though things felt really good with it in the upper 20s to low 30s. I'm also being cautious with my gym workouts...not biking as hard, doing more dynamic stretching, and throwing in a little more leg work in general.

Oh, and since it's cold here...and I've finally cooled down from my run...I broke out the furry boots for the first time this season...

49060015921_bdebbbb1a3_z.jpg

We went back to my FILs this past weekend to start taking the things we want. We'll need a Uhaul for some of the bigger stuff, but we came home with some nice and in some cases, funny mementos. We also had some neat surprises. He had some really old family pieces hidden away that we'd never seen...some monogrammed and few dated that went back to the mid 1800s. We also found a partial set of flatware that was tucked away in his room, away from all of the other stuff in the dining room and kitchen. This set was his monogram. We know it wasn't from his first marriage to my MIL because I've seen that set at my MILs house, we know he didn't get anything like this for his last marriage, based on my husband's account of things...we are pretty sure he wouldn't have held onto anything like this from wife 2 or 3, so we think this could have been his sterling from his marriage to wife 4. From what I understand, this was truly the love of his life and he lost her to cancer. That alone would make it special that he held onto that sterling for all of these years, but this also happens to be our wedding sterling pattern. I know that it's not unique, but when you consider there are tons of patterns out there, it's a pretty cool coincidence. So, when I take out the good stuff for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, I'm going to be mixing in my FIL's pieces with ours.

Songbird76

I'm still here :) I've been dealing with some aches and pains from my runs last week. I really can't for the life of me figure out why my body hates temps in the 40s so much. It's not just running...it's everything. It hits 49 degrees and suddenly my body behaves like it's 20 below. And as soon as it hits 39 or 50, it's all happy again. I have a similar response to temps in the teens and when it's below -10. The minus 10 and the teens is more normal, but the 40s has always been a real head scratcher for me. Case in point, I ran in 47 degree temps last Thursday and all of my muscles started seizing up. I am still recovering from some of the pains and aftermath of that run, so I went gentle on Monday when it was in the 50s and didn't push as hard as I wanted to today, even though things felt really good with it in the upper 20s to low 30s. I'm also being cautious with my gym workouts...not biking as hard, doing more dynamic stretching, and throwing in a little more leg work in general.

Oh, and since it's cold here...and I've finally cooled down from my run...I broke out the furry boots for the first time this season...

49060015921_bdebbbb1a3_z.jpg

We went back to my FILs this past weekend to start taking the things we want. We'll need a Uhaul for some of the bigger stuff, but we came home with some nice and in some cases, funny mementos. We also had some neat surprises. He had some really old family pieces hidden away that we'd never seen...some monogrammed and few dated that went back to the mid 1800s. We also found a partial set of flatware that was tucked away in his room, away from all of the other stuff in the dining room and kitchen. This set was his monogram. We know it wasn't from his first marriage to my MIL because I've seen that set at my MILs house, we know he didn't get anything like this for his last marriage, based on my husband's account of things...we are pretty sure he wouldn't have held onto anything like this from wife 2 or 3, so we think this could have been his sterling from his marriage to wife 4. From what I understand, this was truly the love of his life and he lost her to cancer. That alone would make it special that he held onto that sterling for all of these years, but this also happens to be our wedding sterling pattern. I know that it's not unique, but when you consider there are tons of patterns out there, it's a pretty cool coincidence. So, when I take out the good stuff for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, I'm going to be mixing in my FIL's pieces with ours.
I don't know what to tell you about the temperatures and how they affect you. I'm not a doctor, so I have no advice or wisdom...it's just weird. It could be a mental thing? That you see the temps in the 40s and expect to have difficulties? I don't know.

Was it hard going through all the stuff? I had mixed emotions about going through my dad's. Like, my dad was a hoarder and you literally could not see the floor in his house. There was mail covering every inch of it, and stuff piled so high on the furniture that you couldn't tell what was where. It was a daunting task. But one of the things my dad couldn't say no to was kitchen knives....really good kitchen knives, like Henckels, or Cutco. High end ones. And you'd be walking through the house and you had to step gingerly....you'd step down and feel something under your foot, swipe the catalogues and junk mail away and find a bubble-wrapped bundle of kitchen knives. I can't find the picture, but we ended up finding 7 boxes worth of knives. Like...walmart boxes full of them. They were in his trucks, in his house....everywhere. And it was so "dad" that we had to laugh. So it was daunting, but also kind of therapeutic to go through it all. I'm glad you found some mementos.

HouCuseChickie

I don't know what to tell you about the temperatures and how they affect you. I'm not a doctor, so I have no advice or wisdom...it's just weird. It could be a mental thing? That you see the temps in the 40s and expect to have difficulties? I don't know.

Was it hard going through all the stuff? I had mixed emotions about going through my dad's. Like, my dad was a hoarder and you literally could not see the floor in his house. There was mail covering every inch of it, and stuff piled so high on the furniture that you couldn't tell what was where. It was a daunting task. But one of the things my dad couldn't say no to was kitchen knives....really good kitchen knives, like Henckels, or Cutco. High end ones. And you'd be walking through the house and you had to step gingerly....you'd step down and feel something under your foot, swipe the catalogues and junk mail away and find a bubble-wrapped bundle of kitchen knives. I can't find the picture, but we ended up finding 7 boxes worth of knives. Like...walmart boxes full of them. They were in his trucks, in his house....everywhere. And it was so "dad" that we had to laugh. So it was daunting, but also kind of therapeutic to go through it all. I'm glad you found some mementos.

I'd like to believe it's just psychosomatic, but the days of residual pains and aches this time around make me think it's just something a bit off in my body's programming. I went to a general physician as well as a rheumatologist a couple of years ago, undergoing a multitude of tests and scans as well as giving copious amounts of blood for all kinds of other 'fun' inspections. Ultimately, they found nothing wrong with me.

I don't think it's ever an easy task. He wanted us to start earmarking things as ours back before he passed, but that felt really awkward. So, we didn't really dig in back then. His dad was an engineer before retiring early, so while it's a lot of stuff, most of it is extremely well organized. That's interesting about the knives, but I think everyone has their obsessions. It's so bittersweet when you uncover the "that's so them" kind of stuff. You are right though...going through it does provide a therapeutic element in a time of loss. While it was all neatly arranged in proper places, we found several sets of casual flatware (BIG sets)...since he loved a party and entertaining. The real head-scratcher has been all of his quarters. We know he was a fan of the 50 states ones, but those are organized in their own areas. These are just regular old quarters...like enough to do coin op laundry for several years! We think he's laughing somewhere as family is taking turns getting the quarters all into rolls.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm alive, freezing but alive. It's too windy and cold to go out so today just some yoga and doing battle with bag one of rice(50 pounds). In addition to some canned items I'm making heating pads and hand warmer to give out this year. Tonight's dinner vegan shepherd's pie

HouCuseChickie

I decided to call in sick today. I don't know if it's the stress, the weather or what, but I'm just feeling kind of yucky. I still put in a workout, since that actually tends to help, especially when I have upper respiratory congestion...well, at least for a little bit. I was supposed to run 2 miles today, but these weeks with extra mileage on my feet can be run or walk for that shorter day. Since it's gross outside and I have yet to invest in a running rain jacket, I decided to hit the treadmill. :grumpy: As I've mentioned before, my treadmill is a real cheapie and not intended for running. It's got a narrow belt and it's at fixed incline, so even walking without holding on to the handrails is a serious challenge. Still, I got it done and walked 2 miles. Then I got on the bike and put in about 15.25 mi. After that...arms and abs...with a bit of a challenge from Voodoo. It's called try to do all of this with a dog in your face. Not today's edition of it, but this is what dog in the face is like during workouts.

48964277223_295c741c40_z.jpg

Tomorrow, I have a vacation day and will be putting in my long run...9.5 miles this week. Weather is looking good, still on the fence a bit with hydration options for the run, nutrition is ready to go, and I have my route all mapped out. Ok...I'm really just excited because it's going to be my first time taking out my half marathon shoes 🥰

Beyond that, someone is supposed to come measure for flooring in a little bit. If all goes well, it could be done before Thanksgiving!!! I also am starting to shift into major holiday spirit mode as well as costume mode. Starting to finalize yard decor choices, just bought a bag and some bag decor to have a purse in the holiday spirit this year, and a girl in a local run group reminded me of something very important...running at night during the holidays is AWESOME!!! Not sure if I want to do this during my long runs, but for my shorter ones...it is so much fun to run around with everyone's yards all lit up and festive :) 🎄

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I decided to call in sick today. I don't know if it's the stress, the weather or what, but I'm just feeling kind of yucky. I still put in a workout, since that actually tends to help, especially when I have upper respiratory congestion...well, at least for a little bit. I was supposed to run 2 miles today, but these weeks with extra mileage on my feet can be run or walk for that shorter day. Since it's gross outside and I have yet to invest in a running rain jacket, I decided to hit the treadmill. :grumpy: As I've mentioned before, my treadmill is a real cheapie and not intended for running. It's got a narrow belt and it's at fixed incline, so even walking without holding on to the handrails is a serious challenge. Still, I got it done and walked 2 miles. Then I got on the bike and put in about 15.25 mi. After that...arms and abs...with a bit of a challenge from Voodoo. It's called try to do all of this with a dog in your face. Not today's edition of it, but this is what dog in the face is like during workouts.

48964277223_295c741c40_z.jpg

Tomorrow, I have a vacation day and will be putting in my long run...9.5 miles this week. Weather is looking good, still on the fence a bit with hydration options for the run, nutrition is ready to go, and I have my route all mapped out. Ok...I'm really just excited because it's going to be my first time taking out my half marathon shoes 🥰

Beyond that, someone is supposed to come measure for flooring in a little bit. If all goes well, it could be done before Thanksgiving!!! I also am starting to shift into major holiday spirit mode as well as costume mode. Starting to finalize yard decor choices, just bought a bag and some bag decor to have a purse in the holiday spirit this year, and a girl in a local run group reminded me of something very important...running at night during the holidays is AWESOME!!! Not sure if I want to do this during my long runs, but for my shorter ones...it is so much fun to run around with everyone's yards all lit up and festive :) 🎄
Sleep well and get well soon xoxo

HouCuseChickie

I wasn't feeling sick when I got up today, so I decided to get in a bunch of dynamic stretching before putting in my long run on my training plan for this week (part of why I took off today). I didn't feel sick in the way that I did yesterday, but my stomach was very angry with me and while I'm sure it's more from the cold than A cold, my nose was a mess. Still, I got in 9.5 miles (closer to 10 when you factor in the walking on both ends). I'm actually blaming my hydration. I had plenty of liquid with me, but someone suggested trying coconut water. I LOVE coconut water, but apparently me and coconut water while running don't mix well. So, it's back to Nuun and Tailwind. I did a little wind down after I got home, but the hydration blunder really zapped my energy. So, I just did 10 min wind down on the bike, stretching, foam rolling, and one round of abs.

In other news, we're getting the ball rolling on fixing some of the flood damage. We picked out flooring on Wednesday, had someone come by to do measurements yesterday and work up a quote. The deposit went in last night and we're getting the dining room done on Tuesday. It's not looking good, but there's still a change the casual dining room may get done before Thanksgiving, but more likely in early December because of the supplier. The casual dining room didn't flood, but the flooring is connected to the formal...so, we felt we needed to do both rooms. The back room is going to be a bigger challenge. While not flood related...I also bought a bunch of Christmas decorations today for the yard. I still plan on putting out a ton of lights, but I've realized that I'm just never going to be able to do the crazy lighting extravaganza I've always wanted. So, I got a bunch of inflatables. I normally reserve some for indoor decor, but with the puppies, we are thinking about scaling back inside for this year.

In other news...turkey dropped to $0.37/lb. I still have hopes that drop more, but I'm willing to buy at this price. First bird of the season!!! Any guesses on the weight???

1573855171901.png

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I wasn't feeling sick when I got up today, so I decided to get in a bunch of dynamic stretching before putting in my long run on my training plan for this week (part of why I took off today). I didn't feel sick in the way that I did yesterday, but my stomach was very angry with me and while I'm sure it's more from the cold than A cold, my nose was a mess. Still, I got in 9.5 miles (closer to 10 when you factor in the walking on both ends). I'm actually blaming my hydration. I had plenty of liquid with me, but someone suggested trying coconut water. I LOVE coconut water, but apparently me and coconut water while running don't mix well. So, it's back to Nuun and Tailwind. I did a little wind down after I got home, but the hydration blunder really zapped my energy. So, I just did 10 min wind down on the bike, stretching, foam rolling, and one round of abs.

In other news, we're getting the ball rolling on fixing some of the flood damage. We picked out flooring on Wednesday, had someone come by to do measurements yesterday and work up a quote. The deposit went in last night and we're getting the dining room done on Tuesday. It's not looking good, but there's still a change the casual dining room may get done before Thanksgiving, but more likely in early December because of the supplier. The casual dining room didn't flood, but the flooring is connected to the formal...so, we felt we needed to do both rooms. The back room is going to be a bigger challenge. While not flood related...I also bought a bunch of Christmas decorations today for the yard. I still plan on putting out a ton of lights, but I've realized that I'm just never going to be able to do the crazy lighting extravaganza I've always wanted. So, I got a bunch of inflatables. I normally reserve some for indoor decor, but with the puppies, we are thinking about scaling back inside for this year.

In other news...turkey dropped to $0.37/lb. I still have hopes that drop more, but I'm willing to buy at this price. First bird of the season!!! Any guesses on the weight???

View attachment 425999

Wow! That looks big. I'll guess maybe 16 pounds?! (And 37 cents a pound is a steal -- it won't go lower.)

Hope your cold goes away. I just got over a cold (it seems like everyone up here has it) and it hung on for close to 3 weeks -- and that's what happened to a bunch of others who had it, too). I'm thinking of taking out stock in Kleenex this season! ;)

HouCuseChickie

Wow! That looks big. I'll guess maybe 16 pounds?! (And 37 cents a pound is a steal -- it won't go lower.)

Hope your cold goes away. I just got over a cold (it seems like everyone up here has it) and it hung on for close to 3 weeks -- and that's what happened to a bunch of others who had it, too). I'm thinking of taking out stock in Kleenex this season! ;)

That bad boy is 24.23 lbs! It's now one of FOUR birds in the freezer. The next largest is just a smidge over 22lbs. The other two are in the 16.2-17.3 lb range. I want one more, but it needs to be another big one since we like having leftovers. I've found that the really big birds come out at the beginning and the end of the Thanksgiving turkey buying season. :hilarious: The closer we get to the holiday, the smaller the birds are in the freezer... since people start running out of time to thaw the bigger birds and one of the butchers once told me that the average family is looking for a 12-15 pound turkey. Once we're right on top of the holiday, the big ones hit the freezer bin again for people wanting to buy a large Christmas turkey at Thanksgiving prices. There is a chance prices could drop again. It's gone as low as $0.24/lb in years when Thanksgiving is late, but that price jumps back up to normal prices as soon as Thanksgiving passes.

Thankfully, I think the extra rest I allowed myself this weekend kept the cold from getting too bad. It meant not sitting out in the damp chilly air for all of my younger one's softball games, but sometimes you have to take care of yourself first. My husband and I were talking about it and we've come to the conclusion that it may have just been part of the burnout we're both feeling and not an actual bug.

Songbird76

I'd like to believe it's just psychosomatic, but the days of residual pains and aches this time around make me think it's just something a bit off in my body's programming. I went to a general physician as well as a rheumatologist a couple of years ago, undergoing a multitude of tests and scans as well as giving copious amounts of blood for all kinds of other 'fun' inspections. Ultimately, they found nothing wrong with me.

I don't think it's ever an easy task. He wanted us to start earmarking things as ours back before he passed, but that felt really awkward. So, we didn't really dig in back then. His dad was an engineer before retiring early, so while it's a lot of stuff, most of it is extremely well organized. That's interesting about the knives, but I think everyone has their obsessions. It's so bittersweet when you uncover the "that's so them" kind of stuff. You are right though...going through it does provide a therapeutic element in a time of loss. While it was all neatly arranged in proper places, we found several sets of casual flatware (BIG sets)...since he loved a party and entertaining. The real head-scratcher has been all of his quarters. We know he was a fan of the 50 states ones, but those are organized in their own areas. These are just regular old quarters...like enough to do coin op laundry for several years! We think he's laughing somewhere as family is taking turns getting the quarters all into rolls.
How old are the quarters? Prior to like the 60s, quarters were made of real silver, so they are worth more now. My dad saved a bunch of old coins for the metal content. He was convinced we'd have another world war and people wouldn't have money, so he would. We never found the bag of coins, but I think I know where it went. I know who knew about them, and one of the few who did acted way too innocent when she said "What coins?" when I know darn well she knew about them and had access to them. And we came to realize she and her husband were trying to take advantage of us, so I have a sneaking suspicion that she only pretended to put the coins where he asked her to put them when he moved. His trailer was destroyed in a tornado and he had to buy a new one. So he did, and she and her husband helped him move. He told me she was the one who moved the coins and he told her where to put them, and he told me where they were supposed to be, but they weren't there. But it's only the older ones that are worth anything because they are made with the more valuable metals. You might check the dates on the quarters and see if he saved them for that.

HouCuseChickie

How old are the quarters? Prior to like the 60s, quarters were made of real silver, so they are worth more now. My dad saved a bunch of old coins for the metal content. He was convinced we'd have another world war and people wouldn't have money, so he would. We never found the bag of coins, but I think I know where it went. I know who knew about them, and one of the few who did acted way too innocent when she said "What coins?" when I know darn well she knew about them and had access to them. And we came to realize she and her husband were trying to take advantage of us, so I have a sneaking suspicion that she only pretended to put the coins where he asked her to put them when he moved. His trailer was destroyed in a tornado and he had to buy a new one. So he did, and she and her husband helped him move. He told me she was the one who moved the coins and he told her where to put them, and he told me where they were supposed to be, but they weren't there. But it's only the older ones that are worth anything because they are made with the more valuable metals. You might check the dates on the quarters and see if he saved them for that.

That's so sad and upsetting. I can't use the actual words going through my head, but it's really too bad people have to behave this way. While I haven't inspected every quarter, the ones I sifted through were fairly recent. I believe it's 1964 and earlier that have silver content. I don't think I saw anything that was newer than late 70s, and even those were pretty uncommon in the lot. He did have other silver coins that were set aside and are supposed to be appraised, but I believe that is willed to one of the uncles, so I'm not too worried about that.

HouCuseChickie

I'm trying to get my diet and exercise back on track. It's still not perfect, but it's getting better. I've been putting more oomph into my morning workouts again, trying to avoid the bad snacking and snacks/sweets, and just pushing a bit more. The running has just been so/so, but the morning workouts have been good. I ran today with a lot of pain, but I've come to realize that it's from lactic acid build up if there's too much time between run and workout. I also ran at night on Monday and I'm always a little more nervous running in the dark...even when I'm lit up like a Christmas tree! Aside from a cop following me for a bit (wondering if someone freaked out from my flashlight beam bouncing into windows), I saw some of the first holiday light displays going up in our neighborhood. That is one of the perks of holiday night runs and walks...being in the lights! Speaking of...

I set ours up over the weekend, since I'm not sure when I'm going to get another chance. I had to go out there today to fix some stuff because I believe I overloaded one of the circuits. I rerouted a couple of things to the other part of the power supply and swapped out some strings of lights that could have been creating issues. Hopefully, that'll do the trick.

On another holiday note, we got the flooring replaced in the dining room yesterday. Now, I can have Thanksgiving dinner in here :) We decided to redo the floor in the adjacent room as well, since everything is connected, but that flooring won't come in until early December. We still haven't moved in all of the furniture, but I really like how it looks.

49092978501_68a04ebcdf_z.jpg

49093040881_836a5bc527_z.jpg

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I now have FIVE turkeys in the freezer. I think I'm done. I know which one will be coming out for Thanksgiving, but I think I'm going to pull the next one out for New Year's, since we'll have family visiting. Bird plans!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom