working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

Are fenders coming back in style again? Oh, I like the idea of a cute basket. Haven't ridden my bike in a year or so. It's just really hard to enjoy it anymore, because of all the traffic around here -- it's dangerous. It's almost like you have to go out at 5 AM on a Sunday morning to ride peacefully . . . :(

The retro cruiser style seems to be pretty popular around here. I've seen so many fun little accessories on the various ones I see driving around. They don't offer fenders in my bike's color, but I thought something like these florals could be a cute contrast to the blue. I like the second set, but I don't think the blues match, and that would drive me nuts!

They have so many basket options too...from a variety of wicker and metal, to bags and pouches. Still, I have barely ridden this thing, so as cute as it all is, I can't justify the costs.

We are permitted to ride bikes on our greenbelt trails. So technically, that offers us a safer riding option. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable riding on them. They are wide enough for two to three people to run side by side, but I get really nervous with bikes since they need a wider berth. I'm just so afraid of veering off a bit to one side, going off the trail and crashing into a tree. I'd probably be OK biking on the side streets, but like you, traffic makes it too dangerous to do much more.

epcotisbest

My parents are at WDW right now as well. Looks like you're all getting some warmer weather. Nice view too!!! Enjoy :)

The warmer weather is record breaking weather according to local tv. Supposed to break another record high today, then cool off tomorrow. At home we are supposed to get our first freeze of the season in the morning, so I think I would rather be here. Hope your parents are having a nice trip. Lots of pool time for us.

epcotisbest

I'm no doctor, but I've heard knee stories like that and it's been any number of things. Sounds like it was a good time to not have to go into work. Give those joints some rest! I also dread the doctor. I always fear how disruptive their treatment plans might be to my current schedule, but then I'm reminded that treatment may be more disruptive if I let things go for too long. Ugh! Well, I hope it feels better and it's a simple treatment.

I haven't touched my bike in ages since my wreck with the tunnel wall, but I think she's so pretty. I know that's why my older one wants her. She just sits in the garage...better protected that my car...so, she looks almost as pristine as the day I got her. Aside from exercise and relaxation, I don't have any need for it, but there's still that part of me that wants to have her fitted with some fun fenders and a cute basket :)

36230064232_98eb1b8aa4_z.jpg

We looked at an Electra Townie awhile back at REI. I liked how the pedals are a bit further in front than a conventional bike, but went with another recumbent instead. Nice bike. I think Trek bought out Electra a few years ago so I don't know if they are still Electra or Trek now, but still a nice bike.

HouCuseChickie

The warmer weather is record breaking weather according to local tv. Supposed to break another record high today, then cool off tomorrow. At home we are supposed to get our first freeze of the season in the morning, so I think I would rather be here. Hope your parents are having a nice trip. Lots of pool time for us.

You guys are probably getting the series of fronts that hit us over the last day or so. We were in the 30s this morning...which is downright frigid for Houston! Parents had a nice time. After a year off, they decided they missed being AP holders. I'm sure part is that some of our old family friends are DVC owners, so it gives them more things to do when they choose to get together at WDW.

HouCuseChickie

We looked at an Electra Townie awhile back at REI. I liked how the pedals are a bit further in front than a conventional bike, but went with another recumbent instead. Nice bike. I think Trek bought out Electra a few years ago so I don't know if they are still Electra or Trek now, but still a nice bike.

Spot on...Trek bought Electra at some point. My older daughter and husband both have Trek mountain bikes, but I found the cruiser style to be much more comfortable. I thought about a recumbent since it's my preferred kind of stationary bike, but couldn't resist the styling of the cruiser.

HouCuseChickie

My shoulders are still a bit sore, so I 'just' pedaled during my biking this morning. I did do an arm workout after that, but I stuck with the 8lb dumbbells and focused more on my triceps and back. Abs were the basic since I needed to rush down to make lunches. I normally make them the night before, but we were up late watching the World Series...plus yesterday was baking day. I was supposed to do some dynamic stretching before heading out for my run this morning, but I was running late and my legs were still pretty warm from my workout...so I hit the road for an easy 1 mile. It wasn't a fast mile, but I got it done. Why just 1 mile? Well, today is the point in my training plan where it starts prepping me for running back to back days during race weekend. So, while yesterday was my standard 30-45 min maintenance run and today was an easy 1...tomorrow is 8 miles. The good news...it's all feeling pretty good.

Today, I have to do more cake work. I need to make filling, fill the cakes, carve, crumb coat them and then chill. Tomorrow is decorating day. I'm really hoping it goes well since a chunk of my Saturday is now free and I'd kind of like to relax before the party.

epcotisbest

Spot on...Trek bought Electra at some point. My older daughter and husband both have Trek mountain bikes, but I found the cruiser style to be much more comfortable. I thought about a recumbent since it's my preferred kind of stationary bike, but couldn't resist the styling of the cruiser.

We have Gary Fisher hybrid bikes, and Trek bought Gary Fisher as well. She likes her Gary Fisher. We bought a matching pair and I bet mine has not been ridden a total of five miles as I ride the recumbents instead. I have a bikeE CLWB recumbent and a Rans Stratus LWB too. I like the bikeE the best, but unfortunately they went out of business awhile back so if I ever wear it out I am outta luck getting another.

Songbird76

Well, I sure got some weight lifting in at work today! I had to make space for more inventory and our warehouse is actually too small. We're moving next year some time, but until then, we have to keep making room in other places. So I spent the day lifting heavy boxes and moving them around. And of course there's the bike ride to and from work, so I've biked about 12 km, and done a bunch of heavy lifting. And now I need to go scrub my deep fryer.

StarWarsGirl

Going to the gym after work. Trying to decide whether to do the elliptical or swim...leaning towards the elliptical because I kind of want to listen to a book while on it. Even though I haven't swam for a while. Plus I'm cold and I don't think I feel like putting on a swimsuit.
And nevermind, I got there and saw that there were several lanes open and was like, oh what the heck. Swim. 30 minutes. Now hot tub.

HouCuseChickie

I took today off of work so I could work on cake. Unfortunately, the first cake baking efforts were a full on wreck. I know better than to try something new for an actual bday cake. Ugh. So, instead of carving and icing last night, I was baking...again! My younger one was off from school and my husband stayed home, so it was kind of a strange day. I wound up going for my long run for the week and putting in my wind down biking, stretching and abs after. It was a good run...8 miles today. The wind down and stretching also went well, which is good because my legs were feeling the strain of a longer distance combined with the back to back racing simulations now being worked in. It was a pretty path I took, minus some flooding I encountered, which forced me to turn around. I was able to get past one high water spot, but the next one was too big and deep, and the one after that looked even worse. It was upper 30s when I headed out, so not exactly the ideal weather to be splashing around. I also don't want to get my costume shoes all nasty.

48997834547_0253e9f7fe_z.jpg

48997084183_581620e401_z.jpg

48997084283_10e3df8190_z.jpg

Halloween was interesting. The older one drove around various neighborhoods with her friend and grandma for trick or treat and the younger one went to a softball friend's house with my husband so they could do a little bit of trick or treating and a lot of playing around. I manned the door at home. We easily had 200 kids come by...latest was just after 9pm. I had to leave the lights on because I was waiting on my older one to get home. I eventually ran out of candy and started giving out Rice Krispie treats. I probably would have had more left had it not been for this one bratty kid. I swear...most kids, even the older ones, are very nice and respectful. This little girl may have been dressed up like a How to Train Your Dragon character, but she should have been dressed as Veruca Salt from Willie Wonka. At one point, I told her she was not very nice and her friend said "that's just how she is." She tried to dig into my basket of candy and help herself to as much as she wanted, after I handed her a Snickers and Reese's. She didn't like what I gave her, so I offered to swap out, but she just kept trying to get her hand in the bowl and scoop. Then she tried to claim I only gave her one piece. Then she wanted 100 Grand bar for her dad, because it's his fave. I told her I'd gladly give him a piece if he comes to the door. She said he doesn't like doors and to just give her the candy. I told her no. Then she got a tone and said I still didn't give her candy and I reminded her that I did. At the end of it, I asked her if I needed to go down and talk to her dad. She promptly left at the sound of that.

On a sad note, we found out yesterday that my FIL passed away. We haven't told the kids yet. We wanted them to get through Halloween, softball and birthday party stuff before letting them know.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I probably would have had more left had it not been for this one bratty kid. I swear...most kids, even the older ones, are very nice and respectful. This little girl may have been dressed up like a How to Train Your Dragon character, but she should have been dressed as Veruca Salt from Willie Wonka. At one point, I told her she was not very nice and her friend said "that's just how she is." She tried to dig into my basket of candy and help herself to as much as she wanted, after I handed her a Snickers and Reese's. She didn't like what I gave her, so I offered to swap out, but she just kept trying to get her hand in the bowl and scoop. Then she tried to claim I only gave her one piece. Then she wanted 100 Grand bar for her dad, because it's his fave. I told her I'd gladly give him a piece if he comes to the door. She said he doesn't like doors and to just give her the candy. I told her no. Then she got a tone and said I still didn't give her candy and I reminded her that I did. At the end of it, I asked her if I needed to go down and talk to her dad. She promptly left at the sound of that.

What an obnoxious kid!! :mad: (Although I did crack up with her friend's comment -- that's just how she is?! :p) All I know is that as a kid, I had a certain respect for adults and would have never done/spoke as that girl did, to begin with. It really does make you pause to think about what kind of example is set, in that kid's home? :rolleyes:

On a sad note, we found out yesterday that my FIL passed away. We haven't told the kids yet. We wanted them to get through Halloween, softball and birthday party stuff before letting them know.

Sorry to hear this. And you are right -- timing of a sad message like this is important, when your relaying it to children.

Songbird76

I took today off of work so I could work on cake. Unfortunately, the first cake baking efforts were a full on wreck. I know better than to try something new for an actual bday cake. Ugh. So, instead of carving and icing last night, I was baking...again! My younger one was off from school and my husband stayed home, so it was kind of a strange day. I wound up going for my long run for the week and putting in my wind down biking, stretching and abs after. It was a good run...8 miles today. The wind down and stretching also went well, which is good because my legs were feeling the strain of a longer distance combined with the back to back racing simulations now being worked in. It was a pretty path I took, minus some flooding I encountered, which forced me to turn around. I was able to get past one high water spot, but the next one was too big and deep, and the one after that looked even worse. It was upper 30s when I headed out, so not exactly the ideal weather to be splashing around. I also don't want to get my costume shoes all nasty.

48997834547_0253e9f7fe_z.jpg

48997084183_581620e401_z.jpg

48997084283_10e3df8190_z.jpg

Halloween was interesting. The older one drove around various neighborhoods with her friend and grandma for trick or treat and the younger one went to a softball friend's house with my husband so they could do a little bit of trick or treating and a lot of playing around. I manned the door at home. We easily had 200 kids come by...latest was just after 9pm. I had to leave the lights on because I was waiting on my older one to get home. I eventually ran out of candy and started giving out Rice Krispie treats. I probably would have had more left had it not been for this one bratty kid. I swear...most kids, even the older ones, are very nice and respectful. This little girl may have been dressed up like a How to Train Your Dragon character, but she should have been dressed as Veruca Salt from Willie Wonka. At one point, I told her she was not very nice and her friend said "that's just how she is." She tried to dig into my basket of candy and help herself to as much as she wanted, after I handed her a Snickers and Reese's. She didn't like what I gave her, so I offered to swap out, but she just kept trying to get her hand in the bowl and scoop. Then she tried to claim I only gave her one piece. Then she wanted 100 Grand bar for her dad, because it's his fave. I told her I'd gladly give him a piece if he comes to the door. She said he doesn't like doors and to just give her the candy. I told her no. Then she got a tone and said I still didn't give her candy and I reminded her that I did. At the end of it, I asked her if I needed to go down and talk to her dad. She promptly left at the sound of that.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Did he pass on Halloween?

And what a little twit! I'm all for giving candy to anyone who comes to the door, even a teenager. You never know if they have a disability, or if they were in charge of a younger sibling, or whatever. But act entitled like that, and then I think you're done. Good for you for asking if you needed to talk to her dad. I'm glad that worked. How old was she?

HouCuseChickie

What an obnoxious kid!! :mad: (Although I did crack up with her friend's comment -- that's just how she is?! :p) All I know is that as a kid, I had a certain respect for adults and would have never done/spoke as that girl did, to begin with. It really does make you pause to think about what kind of example is set, in that kid's home? :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear this. And you are right -- timing of a sad message like this is important, when your relaying it to children.

Exactly! I have to wonder if I would have been fighting a losing battle speaking to the father, since someone has to be reinforcing this behavior...or at least failing to discourage it.

Thank you :)

HouCuseChickie

I'm so sorry for your loss. Did he pass on Halloween?

And what a little twit! I'm all for giving candy to anyone who comes to the door, even a teenager. You never know if they have a disability, or if they were in charge of a younger sibling, or whatever. But act entitled like that, and then I think you're done. Good for you for asking if you needed to talk to her dad. I'm glad that worked. How old was she?

We found out on Halloween, but he passed the night before.

I'm all for giving candy to kids of all ages...even the adults if they want some. I suspect she was between 8 and 9 years old. I shudder to think what this child will be like in middle school if nobody sets her straight on proper behavior.

Songbird76

I'm really unhappy with my fitbit. I've been thinking for a while that it's not counting all my steps because I walk a LOT at work, and I'm still barely hitting the 10,000 steps mark. It didn't seem right to me, and I already knew it wasn't registering when I ride my bike. It's supposed to, but I think it has maybe 5 times in the whole year since I got it. But I noticed yesterday at work, when I looked at the time, I also saw the steps while I was walking across the warehouse pushing a cart, as that's part of my job. That's probably about a third of my steps. I got to the other side and checked, and didn't think it had moved at all. So I kept checking both when I was pushing a cart and when I wasn't, and it didn't register any of the steps with the cart. It did register when I was without the cart, even if I was holding something in that hand, so it caught that. But between how fast it drains (less so since I started using the USB port on my laptop to charge it instead of an outlet, but I still have to charge it every other day or so), and it not registering all my activity, I don't think it's worth the money spent on it. My generic one registered more accurately, had a longer battery life, and only cost me 30 Euros. I wonder if I should let Fitbit know I'm unhappy with it or just wait for it to die and then buy a generic one again. I do like that this one measures heart rate and sleep patterns, but I could live without that. But I also wonder if it would do any good to complain...I've had it for almost a year. Thoughts?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm really unhappy with my fitbit. I've been thinking for a while that it's not counting all my steps because I walk a LOT at work, and I'm still barely hitting the 10,000 steps mark. It didn't seem right to me, and I already knew it wasn't registering when I ride my bike. It's supposed to, but I think it has maybe 5 times in the whole year since I got it. But I noticed yesterday at work, when I looked at the time, I also saw the steps while I was walking across the warehouse pushing a cart, as that's part of my job. That's probably about a third of my steps. I got to the other side and checked, and didn't think it had moved at all. So I kept checking both when I was pushing a cart and when I wasn't, and it didn't register any of the steps with the cart. It did register when I was without the cart, even if I was holding something in that hand, so it caught that. But between how fast it drains (less so since I started using the USB port on my laptop to charge it instead of an outlet, but I still have to charge it every other day or so), and it not registering all my activity, I don't think it's worth the money spent on it. My generic one registered more accurately, had a longer battery life, and only cost me 30 Euros. I wonder if I should let Fitbit know I'm unhappy with it or just wait for it to die and then buy a generic one again. I do like that this one measures heart rate and sleep patterns, but I could live without that. But I also wonder if it would do any good to complain...I've had it for almost a year. Thoughts?

Hmm. I don't have one of those gadgets and don't want one. However, if you've had it a year, I kinda wonder how much attention they'd give to complaints about it now. (In other words, if this was happening in the first month, that may be different.) That being said, I'm not saying to not contact them, because if nothing else, it will tell them that you had a carp one, and you're unhappy with it. Who knows? Maybe they'll send you another one, gratis.

I do know people who have generic ones and they seem happy with those. Again, I've never had a Fitbit and some people really like them, but I suppose like anything else, a few lemons may have come off the assembly line. Good luck with whatever decision you make on this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom