Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

mikejs78

Premium Member
I think this says it all...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does not every other Star Wars movie title tell us the story?
Why is Disney so intent on disconnecting from what has worked so well in the past?

You're really nitpicking here. I would not say every title does at all .. Phantom Meanace really doesn't, and A New Hope doesn't. I would argue that the only ones that sort of do are Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think this says it all...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does not every other Star Wars movie title tell us the story?
Why is Disney so intent on disconnecting from what has worked so well in the past?

Nope...

There was no war in “Star Wars”

The empire “never struck back”

And the Jedi didn’t “return” to vindicate themselves.

Never happened. 😉

Hell...they actually did ok with the prequel titles...the stories and dialogues sucked, but don’t blame the titles.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Nope...

There was no war in “Star Wars”

The empire “never struck back”

And the Jedi didn’t “return” to vindicate themselves.

Never happened. 😉

Hell...they actually did ok with the prequel titles...the stories and dialogues sucked, but don’t blame the titles.
Phantom Menace? Really?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're really nitpicking here. I would not say every title does at all .. Phantom Meanace really doesn't, and A New Hope doesn't. I would argue that the only ones that sort of do are Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, and The Force Awakens.
Nope...once again...it’s valid and symptoms of a real big sickness.
Stop trying to outsmart the fans...her and boy toy still keep making comments that they won’t fail at this as they have.

A new hope was added AFTER it was the biggest box office phenom of its day...

And of all the others...phantom menace was the worst. But the title was pretty cool...until we saw they didn’t have one to shoot. That’s why it’s a punchline now.

All 3 sequels are actually wrong - well 2 and and the 3rd is suspect to be fair....8 didn’t fit at all. 7 “awakened” by dropping the force tenants of the first 6....any old dude can lightsaber fight...and make things levitate. The more powerful skywalkers had to be taught that...but not scrappers and storm troopers. Nope.

I’m getting nit picky though...so I’d like a vacation. Let’s not defend Kathy Kennedy, who has done an awful job on the Rick McCollum level, and I’ll stop shooting blasters through the excuses.

Sound good?

tk924

Well, I respectfully disagree. While some SW movie titles may not be as descriptive to the overall story, I think most do.
I guess it's all a matter of perspective and a further indicator as to how people view these movies so differently.
For me, I'm not really expecting a lot from TROS. Episode 7 and 8 were just not good storytelling. It's just not enough to throw space ships and lightsabers in and think that's all you need.
Although I did thoroughly enjoy Rogue One and even Solo a little. I really am looking forward to The Mandalorian and are cautiously optimistic for the Obi Wan series. So at least there's that on the horizon.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Well, I respectfully disagree. While some SW movie titles may not be as descriptive to the overall story, I think most do.
I guess it's all a matter of perspective and a further indicator as to how people view these movies so differently.
For me, I'm not really expecting a lot from TROS. Episode 7 and 8 were just not good storytelling. It's just not enough to throw space ships and lightsabers in and think that's all you need.
Although I did thoroughly enjoy Rogue One and even Solo a little. I really am looking forward to The Mandalorian and are cautiously optimistic for the Obi Wan series. So at least there's that on the horizon.
Different strokes. I find the themes and storylines of TLJ among the best of the saga. TFA was a bit derivative but it did what it needed to do after the prequels. TROS, I don't think it's fair to judge the title until the movie is out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bump
Different strokes. I find the themes and storylines of TLJ among the best of the saga. TFA was a bit derivative but it did what it needed to do after the prequels. TROS, I don't think it's fair to judge the title until the movie is out.

Someday...when this is all over and one of us is an old man...we’re gonna get a six pack and commune to really go into detail on this...maybe someplace sunny 🌴

And my first question will be: “why did they need to do anything other than tell a story that developed the characters - old or new - which they didn’t at all in favor of visuals and “subverting expectations”? Was the force “broken”? I wasn’t aware it was...just bad stories were made with flat characters similar to the prequels”

Come to think of it...that’s like 12 questions...better get a case 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok...I just rewatched that clip while I wasn’t distracted doing work...

And she is officially &$/@!!!ing clueless!!
Someday we are gonna have to get the real scoop on how she got that job. She wasn’t George’s “handpicked successor” as was laid out in the press announcement.

I heard on podcast that it is believed George wanted to still make the Star Wars...he just didn’t want to be the corporate/ financial guy anymore. Considering the MCU and Pixar...I can see his angle.

Is it possible he was going to be the producer/creative in charge of Star Wars and Kennedy would be the figurehead/admin for lucasfilm...and Disney pushed him out in negotiations?

Quotes from Disney’s lead counsel in 2013 certainly could have been taken as such. They insisted on a “clean break with all IP rights” in the negotiations:

I think maybe the old wizard got hoodwinked. Good strategic move for Disney...bad perhaps for the IP?

It’s possible.

Last edited:

Darkprime

I heard on podcast that it is believed George wanted to still make the Star Wars...he just didn’t want to be the corporate/ financial guy anymore. Considering the MCU and Pixar...I can see his angle.

Is it possible he was going to be the producer/creative in charge of Star Wars and Kennedy would be the figurehead/admin for lucasfilm...and Disney pushed him out in negotiations?

The story I remember hearing is that he wanted to direct force awakens and then sell Lucasfilm but possibly stay on as produce ala Kevin Feige.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The story I remember hearing is that he wanted to direct force awakens and then sell Lucasfilm but possibly stay on as produce ala Kevin Feige.
That’s the gist of it.

Which brings up two things:
1. George is nuts...those prequels were awful. It’s just that everyone believes it except him.
2. It really would explain the animosity/undertone that’s been there. That may have caused some “issues” at LFL that we’ve seen manifested.

tk924

https://movieweb.com/force-awakens-george-lucas-disappointment-explained-bob-iger/

"Early on, Kathy [Kennedy] brought J.J. [Abrams] and Michael Arndt up to Northern California to meet with George at his ranch and talk about their ideas for the film. George immediately got upset as they began to describe the plot and it dawned on him that we weren't using one of the stories he submitted during the negotiations. The truth was, Kathy, J.J., Alan [Horn, Disney's film chief], and I had discussed the direction in which the saga should go, and we all agreed that it wasn't what George had outlined. George knew we weren't contractually bound to anything, but he thought that our buying the story treatments was a tacit promise that we'd follow them, and he was disappointed that his story was being discarded."

All that's where the car was driven off the cliff. Bad call, Bob.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
https://movieweb.com/force-awakens-george-lucas-disappointment-explained-bob-iger/

All that's where the car was driven off the cliff. Bad call, Bob.

I don’t agree here...
George was beyond inept at this point. His agenda with Star Wars really threw if info disarray. I get why he wanted to sell the “business end” of it.

But he made crap...to sell crap...so he had to live with it at that point.

I find the excepts from Iger’s book to be incredibly telling - however. He admits they went safe/punted on the sequels and George was mad...but then he reassures themselves that they did the right thing. Which at this juncture does not appear to be the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom