News Target coming to Walt Disney World and Disney Store shop-in-shop coming to Target stores

jrhwdw

Convert the TTC to a target :)
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never been to FC. Been to Crossroads lots of times! My family loves to stay on 535! FC or Crossroads Target is fine with me, or even next to MCD by DAK if it has to be on property. I just can't picture Target in Springs!! Not after the whole transformation!!

AndyS2992

So, the standalone Disney Store brand will be extinct in, what, three years?
Given disneystore.com was rebranded shopdisney.com and with actual Disney Stores closing down all over the place, I think it has been on the cards for a while. I did find it bemusing that there was no mention of the website, you don't need a Disney Store or Target to buy Disney Store products when you can buy from shopdisney.com anywhere in the World.

SpaceMountain77

Yay, a Disney Store in Target! A Target at Walt Disney World! :rolleyes:

I wonder if all of those Disney fans that purchase discounted Purex detergent at Target, for $2.88, are excited about spending $7,000+ for two nights at the Star Wars hotel.

Cmdr_Crimson

Looking at the display does not give me high hopes for the adults side rather I'd find shirts not bigger than a 10 year olds...
Image result for stewie and i wear the same onesie gif

HauntedMansionFLA

Given disneystore.com was rebranded shopdisney.com and with actual Disney Stores closing down all over the place, I think it has been on the cards for a while. I did find it bemusing that there was no mention of the website, you don't need a Disney Store or Target to buy Disney Store products when you can buy from shopdisney.com anywhere in the World.
Is the Disney Store at MCO safe?

jrhwdw

Is the Disney Store at MCO safe?
Those are not reg Disney Stores, they are WDW Stores correct??? Considering MCO is Remodeling both, I think we're good!

MCO is the place for Park Stores!!!!!! You don't see SeaWorld and Uni anywhere else but MCO!!!

Now, Florida Mall is different A reg Disney Store is in there, no Sea or Uni in the Mall But I think Orlando Park info is avalible through out the Mall and the Hotel there? So IDK if Florida Mall DS is safe with it being so close to WDW and Park Info in the Mall????

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I just hope they go with the Disney Parks merch inside of Target, or at least keep a decent portion of it aimed at adults. Walking into a Disney store these days is the same as walking into the toy section at Target.

A huge chunk of the merchandise in the parks currently is official Disney Store merchandise. Probably around 35% or so.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But how/is this a bad idea? (Not that you said it was, mind you)

He's actually doing his job for a change.

I loathe the man but this is a smart move. JMO. It makes a LOT of sense to offer Disney Branded Parks merchandise in a Disney Store inside of Target. THIS is what he SHOULD be doing.

Whether some like it or not, merchandise is a big part. I get why some of us are jaded towards that aspect, but I really like this move. 🤷‍♂️
What's the core business of Parks, Resorts and Merchandising?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Walt Disney went through painstaking measures to secure the "blessing of size" and be free of the outside world and it's "neon jungle". Current management uses that blessing to bring the neon jungle in.

And FYI, Target is one the biggest (and probly best) data collection agencies. They just use the retail stores as a front nowadays.
I don't know about most people, but I haven't used a credit card in Target since their huge data breach in 2013.

Turtlekrawl

But how/is this a bad idea? (Not that you said it was, mind you)

He's actually doing his job for a change.

I loathe the man but this is a smart move. JMO. It makes a LOT of sense to offer Disney Branded Parks merchandise in a Disney Store inside of Target. THIS is what he SHOULD be doing.

Whether some like it or not, merchandise is a big part. I get why some of us are jaded towards that aspect, but I really like this move. 🤷‍♂️
Agree it probably is a smart business move.

But I don’t like it.

Visiting a Disney Store used to be a special experience. Great theming, atmosphere, and unique merchandise. They have become more and more generic in every sense, and this furthers that trend. I love Target for what it is, but would rather have Disney Stores less accessible and more....”magical”

AndyS2992

No No NO! There's SO much misinformation in this topic here.

Let's start with the first discussion point - and that's the future of the Disney Stores. No - Disney stores have not been closing down all over the place and no, they are not going anywhere anytime soon. The last time a massive closure of the Disney stores occurred was right after Disney repurchased it back from the Children's Place. At that point, they did a an evaluation of the store property list and divested the ones that were bleeding money.

After that point, from 2008-2012 they slowly closed others that didn't seem to be showing signs of improvement. Most of this was due to malls that were losing their luster (i.e. what was once an "A" mall was quickly becoming a dying "C" tier mall) . From 2012 on, however, The Disney Stores started their campaign to upgrade their stores to the "Imagination Park" model that was being used over in Europe. In addition, they were opening up new locations using this model in new malls and higher end malls that had previously lost a Disney Store due to a Children's Place closure. Through this process, they found the "ideal" amount of stores where they could be profitable was somewhere in the 200 store count mark (which is where they currently are today). They're still following that strategy (even opening up a few of the new store concepts that employ an all white interior). The stores you see that are closing are ones that are the old models. If these old models aren't making enough money to justify an investment to remodel, then they are slowly closing them down once their leases are up. More often than not, they're closing models that were open during the Children's Place years due to the cost of maintenance associated with the fixtures (they were built more cheaply, and therefore fall apart more quickly than some of the older stores from the 90's and early 2000's that were constructed when Disney first owned the stores. You can recognize these "children place" stores as they are either in a Mickey theme, a Castle theme, or a "pixie dust" theme). In most cases, the closures are not because they losing money...it's just that they aren't making enough to justify keeping them on.

As for the Target deal with the Disney Store - this is a relationship that has been a long time coming. It started when Target started buying Tsum Tsums' directly from the Disney Store awhile ago. This was a unique wholesale deal between target and the Disney store which had never been done at that point (all of Target's Disney merchandise was usually purchased through the licensed third party manufacturers) . At the same time this was happening, The Disney Stores had the JCPenney Disney Store's going on as well. This set up was identical to what the new Target Disney Store's are going to be, and were strategically placed in JC Penney stores where that mall did not have a Disney store presence. JCPenney would order the merchandise from Disney directly, sales and management of the space was done by JCPenney, with Disney's oversight to ensure branding was on point. Target's deal will be identical. Purchasing will be done by Target's buyers, but most of the product will be ordered through Disney directly. As this is not a "concession" type store (i.e. a store within a store that's managed by the brand directly) , no cast members will be in the Target stores and all sales will be done through Target's point-of-sale system (meaning Target discounts will most likely apply). These Disney Store Targets will be strategically located in areas' not served by a Disney Store...so don't expect it in the Target at a mall that also has a Disney Store.

Hopefully that clears some of the misinformation up on this deal.
Lol that escalated quickly. You say there's a lot of misinformation then only pick apart one point of three I made. Disneystore.com was rebranded as shopdisney.com. That is true. How is that misinformation? Disney stores are closing, maybe not in America but here in the UK and Europe they are disappearing quite quickly with only major cities retaining their store. Just Google 'Disney Store closing' and you get many recent news articles of towns losing their Disney Store. So it is not misinformation. It's not just Disney affected either many stores are closing due to online shopping and high business and rent rates among other issues. And then Chapek stated something like most people don't have a Disney Store in their back yards so can't buy the Disney Store products they want so now Target Disney Stores are here, well no you don't need either when you can order from Disney Store online and get their products delivered to your door even if you don't have a Target or Disney Store nearby. Is this misinformation? No. Calm down :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom