News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

It is something about the pacing of the ride... Because you launch and do the first section outdoors, that feels like a separate part of the ride, then you head inside and brake Brake Brake every time you start to build a little bit if speed and then it is over... it is the first portion being outside that makes the whole coaster seem so short... If the launch and first sweep all happened in the show building with less constant braking, the two halves of the ride would go together better...and the experience would feel longer... They sacrifice what could be a better attraction for the chance to show it off outside... Which does look great from the ground, but jarring when you are on it and go from daylight to inky blackness... Perhaps if they extended a tube outside the block of a show building that would transition you before the brakes and drop into darkness...make it look like a gigantic cable you are being shot into... Which of course would make a little more sense too...

That makes sense. Thanks for better explaining it.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I’m meh on the Tron coaster personally and from a park balance standpoint. I’m too young for Tron nostalgia,

I'm sure Tron nostalgia is a thing, somewhere in the depths of the internet. But being of the right age, I can say its a movie I very vaguely remember being kind of cool when I saw it once in the early 80s. The arcade game probably made a bigger pop cultural impact than the movie. But otherwise, Tron was an all-but-forgotten IP by my age demographic until Disney released the sequel decades later, for some reason.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the ride, simply because the videos from Shanghai look so cool.
You're never too young for Tron nostalgia!! Just watch Tron Legacy, the film is near perfect in my mind (for what my expectation of a Tron sequel would be). The music alone gives me the chills, which is one major reason I can't wait of this ride at MK, even though I realize I am in the minority here.

Bocabear

You're never too young for Tron nostalgia!! Just watch Tron Legacy, the film is near perfect in my mind (for what my expectation of a Tron sequel would be). The music alone gives me the chills, which is one major reason I can't wait of this ride at MK, even though I realize I am in the minority here.
I don't think you are in the minority at all...and it's not so black and white...I think a lot of us are concerned about how it is going to mesh with the existing land... about having two similar coaster experiences next to each other...though I do agree they are wildly different in application and experience, how does a Space Travel themed coaster mesh with an electronic grid video game coaster? I have concerns... After riding it myself, I think it is great but could use some small improvements, none of which I think will happen...
So I like the idea of us getting the ride....Perhaps it would have been a better addition to maybe DHS near Star Tours and separate the park into Movie lands...Sci Fi films, Adventure Films and Animation Films... but not in the same context as the Magic Kingdom... I think it would fit better as a Tron based land with the ride... VS Tomorrowland as is with Tron in the back corner...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I don't think you are in the minority at all...and it's not so black and white...I think a lot of us are concerned about how it is going to mesh with the existing land... about having two similar coaster experiences next to each other...though I do agree they are wildly different in application and experience, how does a Space Travel themed coaster mesh with an electronic grid video game coaster? I have concerns... After riding it myself, I think it is great but could use some small improvements, none of which I think will happen...
So I like the idea of us getting the ride....Perhaps it would have been a better addition to maybe DHS near Star Tours and separate the park into Movie lands...Sci Fi films, Adventure Films and Animation Films... but not in the same context as the Magic Kingdom... I think it would fit better as a Tron based land with the ride... VS Tomorrowland as is with Tron in the back corner...
I've said this before in this thread but i'll say it again, the bulk of concerns are certainly fair and valid but for me personally, it's an attraction I've wanted to see in Orlando since it opened in Shanghai, it didn't come at the cost of an existing attraction and it brings another thrill to an otherwise thrilless Magic Kingdom. The proximity to SM is interesting but as you alluded to the experiences are quite different. Oddly enough I can defend this one but not for GotG, but that's a totally different beast of a conversion bst for the appropriate thread.

MaximumEd

I disagree it's ill fitting and in a poor plot. (But it's not what the MK "needed" right now, IMHO, and agree it's a cheap option instead of developing something new)

I can't speak to the ride itself until I experience it (I assume you've been on it?). How long do you folks want coasters to be?? They aren't going to be 5-10 minute experiences.

I don’t expect any coaster they build to be 5-10 minutes, but to me, Splash Mountain is still the gold standard of what a ride can be. I know it’s not a coaster, but it shows what Disney can do if they want to. Long, immersive, and moves a dang good bit of PPH.

Indy_UK

Iger loved it and it's a cheap addition so that's why it probably got approved

Bocabear

I didn't feel the brake - i felt it more akin to speeding up when you passed the thingys. Obviously there is slowing down to make the acceleration feel more pronounched.

But definately didn't feel any brakes.
it brakes at every single dive...every dip has a pre-brake and that is what everyone noted when we went... Other friends that have been there said the same thing... Would be great if they were not breaking the train before each dip on the inside section....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

RSoxNo1

The old Imagineers would have used this opportunity to switch the cars out for electic cars with futuristic lighting similar to the lightcycles...they would have also routed it through the TRON show building so that even the youngsters not big enough for tron would get a feel for being in the environment...it would also add another kinetic element to the "Players Grid" Show room... but instead it will be a slightly smaller track and a little less interesting...and a 50 year old vehicle system...yay.
It has been indicated that Tomorrowland Speedway will close again next year and will likely receive the aesthetic updates we're expecting.

Buried20KLeague

I disagree it's ill fitting and in a poor plot. (But it's not what the MK "needed" right now, IMHO, and agree it's a cheap option instead of developing something new)

I can't speak to the ride itself until I experience it (I assume you've been on it?). How long do you folks want coasters to be?? They aren't going to be 5-10 minute experiences.

A ride time of a minute-ish isn’t cool for a wait that will hover at two hours for years.

Yep, I’ve been on it.

Buried20KLeague

it brakes at every single dive...every dip has a pre-brake and that is what everyone noted when we went... Other friends that have been there said the same thing... Would be great if they were not breaking the train before each dip on the inside section....

Yep. Now add hundreds of pounds more per train (which is reality).... those brakes will hit even harder.

Flynnwriter

What is going on here? Disney World is getting an amazing attraction from Shanghai Disneyland and everyone has a complaint. First, the ride exterior is beautiful at night, the ride and vehicle are amazing, the queue is beautiful and the length is acceptable - I never went on it and complained about anything people are making up here. I rode it 4 times in the daytime and night. Let’s get up in arms over real things like the crappy buzz light year ride or the lame stitch encounter. Go!

Last edited:

Jones14

TRON wouldn’t have so much riding on it if it wasn’t the only ride to open in Magic Kingdom for 7 years. Or if it wasn’t the first E-Ticket ride in almost 20. Or if it wasn’t going in the most visited theme park in world.

Or if it wasn’t being used as the singular solution for the last three issues.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
TRON wouldn’t have so much riding on it if it wasn’t the only ride to open in Magic Kingdom for 7 years. Or if it wasn’t the first E-Ticket ride in almost 20. Or if it wasn’t going in the most visited theme park in world.

Or if it wasn’t being used as the singular solution for the last three issues.
Well, 5 years anyway. 7DMT opened in May 2014. Still no excuse, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom