News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

NateD1226

Only true Disney fans will know what this reminds them of ;)

1701413603eb5bbb97190aef7e920a85.jpg

Buried20KLeague

Everyone relax. Tron is an amazing ride and wdw is getting the exact one from Shanghai. The queue is incredible and the art direction is stellar. Will is ruin space mountain’s iconic presence on the horizon? big time, but with space mountain’s ancient tracks, it will be out of commission for at least 18 months.

The bigger question is, how do you justify and polluting, noisy, ugly and dated Autopia and the setting for Tron? That should be what everyone should focus on.

We have very different standards for the word “amazing”, apparently.

The ride is good. Without the launch and canopy sweep it would be poor. The ride time is dismal. I think the placement will hurt the canopy visually.

Once again TDO is using a crowbar to stick a moderately cheap option in a space that’s ill fitting, in a poor plot.

TJJohn12

I know that was the original plan or at least, what we were lead to believe the original plan was but do you have actual proof that is what happens today?

I say this because I know there are a group of people who are happy to get a fastpass for Flight of passage and walk past everyone in the 3+ hour wait line to ride it but who wouldn't stand in line for over one hour to ride it themselves if that was their only option.

If these people didn't have access to FP+, they'd simply skip the attraction but they'd also be unhappy they weren't "able" to do the most popular attraction that day.

How it appears to work in practice is, Disney provides 60+ day access to FP+ to resort guests which are of course, their most valuable customer base. Giving these people the best access to reserve their little-to-no wait time on the most popular attractions in concept, creates a better overall experience for them making them more likely to leave as satisfied customers.

They pay more, they get a better experience. The freeloading plebs who only paid $125 to get in can either wait in these huge lines and do very little over the course of a day or they can choose to wait in smaller lines and do more of the 20-40 year old attractions, instead, just with longer lines than they've likely ever experienced for them, before.

Free market, economics 101, nobody has a right to or deserves anything, etc.

Of course, where this all falls apart is when Disney has such little capacity relative to this first group, that it becomes cutthroat, even at that 60 day mark to give people what they want which is where the true evidence of the whole problem with this system becomes obvious.

Is it FP+ or overcrowding with not enough capacity that's causing today's problems? I believe with a right-sized crowd FP+ would work as it was sold to the public (and probably was intended - I believe that in good faith) but with the way things are today, my strong gut feeling* is that it compounds an existing problem.

Of course, if Disney didn't already know capacity for the best stuff was an issue, that 60 day reserve window for resort guests wouldn't be all that much of a selling point, now would it?

*If you have access to internal data and not just DIsney's marketing and your own gut feeling to go by to back up your own statement which you've presented as fact, I'm willing to be swayed, though.

Good analysis. I had a nightmare day in the MK back in October where a pop-up thunderstorm cancelled the FP+ of every outdoor ride, dropping a wildcard FP into every account. I park hopped to MK for the late afternoon and evening, with three legit FP and a handful of wildcards from a DVC visit, planning to hit all the mountains. But FP+ return lines (before the touchpoint) were insane. BTMRR (where I had a scheduled FP) stretched to Pecos Bill’s front door. Splash was nearly the same. HM was down to the shooting gallery.

I ended up riding SM (which didn’t suffer - seemed Buzz’s FP return was soaking a ton) with my ligit FP and heading back to the resort at 5:00.

All this to say that, standing at the end of Frontierland looking at a “green week” Wednesday crowd that looked like this year’s photos of Easter Day, I literally said aloud that the prices need to double for day tickets and jump precipitously for resort guests. I’d gladly pay double for a capped capacity on the parks.

I’m meh on the Tron coaster personally and from a park balance standpoint. I’m too young for Tron nostalgia, so the license is meh. I don’t think the MK needs another “mountain.” And I’m severely worried that the larger crowds Tron will pull to the MK won’t be offset by its capacity. A new E brings E-size attention and crowds, but does little to sate the park’s capacity issues.

Kman101

We have very different standards for the word “amazing”, apparently.

The ride is good. Without the launch and canopy sweep it would be poor. The ride time is dismal. I think the placement will hurt the canopy visually.

Once again TDO is using a crowbar to stick a moderately cheap option in a space that’s ill fitting, in a poor plot.

I disagree it's ill fitting and in a poor plot. (But it's not what the MK "needed" right now, IMHO, and agree it's a cheap option instead of developing something new)

I can't speak to the ride itself until I experience it (I assume you've been on it?). How long do you folks want coasters to be?? They aren't going to be 5-10 minute experiences.

tparris

I disagree it's ill fitting and in a poor plot. (But it's not what the MK "needed" right now, IMHO, and agree it's a cheap option instead of developing something new)

I can't speak to the ride itself until I experience it (I assume you've been on it?). How long do you folks want coasters to be?? They aren't going to be 5-10 minute experiences.
I mean GotG is supposed to be a few minutes at least, but yeah most coasters aren’t typically very long.

Epcot_Imagineer

I keep seeing people harping on Tron being a new roller-coaster which will allow Space Mountain to close for a refurb... but have any insiders actually heard that SM is getting the love it desperately needs?

Heppenheimer

I’m meh on the Tron coaster personally and from a park balance standpoint. I’m too young for Tron nostalgia,

I'm sure Tron nostalgia is a thing, somewhere in the depths of the internet. But being of the right age, I can say its a movie I very vaguely remember being kind of cool when I saw it once in the early 80s. The arcade game probably made a bigger pop cultural impact than the movie. But otherwise, Tron was an all-but-forgotten IP by my age demographic until Disney released the sequel decades later, for some reason.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the ride, simply because the videos from Shanghai look so cool.

Bocabear

It is something about the pacing of the ride... Because you launch and do the first section outdoors, that feels like a separate part of the ride, then you head inside and brake Brake Brake every time you start to build a little bit if speed and then it is over... it is the first portion being outside that makes the whole coaster seem so short... If the launch and first sweep all happened in the show building with less constant braking, the two halves of the ride would go together better...and the experience would feel longer... They sacrifice what could be a better attraction for the chance to show it off outside... Which does look great from the ground, but jarring when you are on it and go from daylight to inky blackness... Perhaps if they extended a tube outside the block of a show building that would transition you before the brakes and drop into darkness...make it look like a gigantic cable you are being shot into... Which of course would make a little more sense too...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom