Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

RSoxNo1

Pandora was well worth the cost. Look at the lines for the 2 rides. Look at the Satu'li Canteen and of couse the merchandise. Selling a 6 month supply of Banshees in days. This land was a fantastic investment. Too many people here only talk about the rides and ignore what makes WDW a themepark and not an amusement park. I don't go for the rides but the overall experience and quality.
Pandora's cost in terms of dollars was pretty high when you consider the added capacity. It's a vastly underbuilt E-ticket (from a capacity standpoint) and a moderately underbuilt C-ticket. Satu'li Canteen does ok business but it's not like it's impossible to get in there. The merchandise hasn't been a significant push much beyond the opening summer. What it has done was inflate Animal Kingdom to the #2 park at WDW which cannot be dismissed.

RSoxNo1

I still argue if it was Flight of Wizard Passage, it would be lambasted as another Universal screen ride.
Right, if it was in Universal it would be criticized because it would be another screen based ride in a park filled with screen based rides. It is the only screen based ride in the Animal Kingdom. The issue isn't with screens, the issue is with variety.

BrianLo

They can call it whatever. I see large rooms, that will contain 4 cars at a time, so 4 points of convergence. I suspect the walls will be almost all projected. Besides the starting tunnel, which may have something unique on the right of the vehicles, or that could be where the Goofy engine returns to the next group. The rest of the rooms seem just open rooms.

As I said, perhaps some moving walls aren't shown, but they are very limited in what they can do with multiple vehicles. They can hype all they want, and they will. They have you spouting out 2.5D just like they trained you.

They will convince you 2.5D is better than 3D that Ratatouille has. Even though 2.5D is nothing but a term created by a bunch of marketers in a room one day that may or may not have contained an Imagineer

We'll see. It will be a neat ride, but I think it will end up like Smugglers Run. A ride everyone thought was going to blow their minds, that reality has slowly crept in and beat down PR speak, and folks now have much more controlled expectations of it. Some even expecting it to be pretty non-mind blowing

I think you are really over interpreting a basic layout.

By the same metric Mystic manor looks devoid.

Kman101

I think the popularity is just like Soarin needing 3 screens. And Soarin is just another 4 minute movie on a moving platform. I see FoP as just another movie, honestly. Yes, it's a bit sparkelier, and a bit different. But I simply dont get the fawning over it. I still argue if it was Flight of Wizard Passage, it would be lambasted as another Universal screen ride.

Satuli is so popular because it actually has air conditioning.

Nit picking the FJ show building is so tired, and Diznoidy. I'd much rather Universal spend money on rides than a hundred million on extra rock work. The ride hardware for the 2 Pandora rides was likely about 15-20% of the land cost. In a park desperately needing more attractions.

What points are you actually trying to prove? So just slap up a warehouse and a marquee and call it a day? That's not how Disney Parks work (the well themed ones, that is, HS is a mess)

Kman101

Staying with the PHH analogy, and the fact you will zip by them, I wouldn't expect high end AAs. Perhaps a M and M pair at the end.

For those who know, does this really have any unusual projected visuals? The layout looks so open, I'm guessing almost complete screen coverage around each room. Perhaps some cool movement like the Tigger room.

Can't wait to see the Universal Screenz haters pile on the praise.

You seem like you're trying to pick a fight. Relax. Maybe Universal is more your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that ;)

Hawg G

I think you are really over interpreting a basic layout.

By the same metric Mystic manor looks devoid.

View attachment 370191

Mystic Manor, and PHH, are MUCH smaller building, and more intimate. To get through all of the GMR building, you'll be moving at a decent clip. The layout may look similar, but the distances are much larger for MMRR And they have really pushed the projection portion as the WOW factor. There will be set dressing around, but with the screens full of movement, there won't be much need for other stuff as you zip through.

Kman101

Mystic Manor, and PHH, are MUCH smaller building, and more intimate. To get through all of the GMR building, you'll be moving at a decent clip. The layout may look similar, but the distances are much larger for MMRR And they have really pushed the projection portion as the WOW factor. There will be set dressing around, but with the screens full of movement, there won't be much need for other stuff as you zip through.

You are on a "train" so I have no doubt it will be "zippy". Original flavor dark rides on a track move you around pretty quickly past the cardboard ... I'm glad though you've decided it's a fail before we even see how it is on the inside. I hope you're pleasantly surprised but you've apparently made up your mind on this :)

And I notice you often bypass the fact it will indeed have animatronics. And more than one ;)

BrianLo

None of which can be surmised from the blueprints.

I’m not say you wont be right, but there is a ton of guesswork on your part.

Set dressing and vehicle speeds are not something that can be determined by these blueprints.

Zippy in and of itself makes it different than Rat though. I actually hope for zippy

Hawg G

You seem like you're trying to pick a fight. Relax. Maybe Universal is more your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that ;)

Nah, just always find it amusing when Disney announces an all screen ride and it's praised, and Universal is panned.

If this is Pooh's Hunny Hunt with screens, and some Ratatouille added (actually much below PHH), then it will be a great ride. If it has a lot of Mystic Manor type stuff added, it would be fantastic, but since the whole world will likely be projected, that wouldn't add much.

britain

It's quite true that while the Mystic Manor graphic above includes set furnishings, there's no reason for the construction workers to have such things on their Runaway Railway blueprints.

Kman101

Nah, just always find it amusing when Disney announces an all screen ride and it's praised, and Universal is panned.

If this is Pooh's Hunny Hunt with screens, and some Ratatouille added (actually much below PHH), then it will be a great ride. If it has a lot of Mystic Manor type stuff added, it would be fantastic, but since the whole world will likely be projected, that wouldn't add much.

There's absolute hypocrisy in the fanbases. I agree. I think screens have a place (River Journey uses them well, IMHO) but I don't want to ride through a box and look at screens. I want immersion. I imagine we'll be immersed here, but that's assuming they truly knock this out of the park (they need to; it's the signature Mickey ride)

I don't believe they are projecting onto all flat surfaces, but I could be wrong. It will be interesting to see how it's pulled off. I hope it's not just rolling through scenes with an animatronic and a screen background. But some of it may be that. We only have piece-meals of information so it's hard to imagine what it will end up looking like.

It seems many who are in the know are agreeing this ride will be great. Just of course should have been built elsewhere, though I think they did well to make it fit the Chinese theater, and I understand wanting Mickey in the centerpiece attraction at the hub of the re-imagined park ... but I loved Great Movie Ride and it will feel so strange being in that building and riding a new attraction.

Disney Analyst

No one has issue with rides that use screens. The issue with universal was every single ride built in the past few years are primarily screen based... and one of their theme parks alone has 6 screen attractions...

Kman101

No one has issue with rides that use screens. The issue with universal was every single ride built in the past few years are primarily screen based... and one of their theme parks alone has 6 screen attractions...

Exactly.

And Universal is in the process of addressing it. Unfortunately for them in the midst of it they launch three screen based rides in Orlando, in an already screen-based heavy park ... at least Universal Hollywood is getting SLOP (Islands is getting Hagrid's, which features animatronics, while still a coaster ... so they're getting there) and both are getting Nintendo at some point ...

Hawg G

You are on a "train" so I have no doubt it will be "zippy". Original flavor dark rides on a track move you around pretty quickly past the cardboard ... I'm glad though you've decided it's a fail before we even see how it is on the inside. I hope you're pleasantly surprised but you've apparently made up your mind on this :)

And I notice you often bypass the fact it will indeed have animatronics. And more than one ;)

Not sure when I've said this will be a fail. I was the one who first compared it to Pooh's Hunny Hunt, an absolutely fantastic ride that has been operating for MANY years in Tokyo. It's about damn time something like it made it stateside. And no, Ratatouille does not compare to PHH.

It will be a heavy screen ride, like most Disney rides now. But I think this ride may be the best new ride at DHS. I think the salivating for RotR may be hard to live up to. SR has already had too much reality brought in, and folks are realizing it may just not be all that.

This ride SHOULD be the marquee attraction of the park. It's behind the Weenie, it stars Mickey, and is in a HUGE building.

As for AAs, Most all Disney rides now end with a group shot of AAs. So, that's no surprise. It is more what level they will be. Even in Frozen, Olaf is awesome, twice. But the ending ones have horrific glowing faces, and little movement. It depends where these AAs fall on the spectrum. I expect near the middle, except for one set of M&M.

If the scene we've already seen is M&M AAs in a car, and not a screen, like I, and most probably, thought, those will be pretty simple, for obvious reasons.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom