The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

At the same time that it is becoming harder to get a job without a college diploma, many jobs are becoming automated for cost purposes. You have heard of the robot phlebotomist? In Japan if you want blood drawn a robot will do it. You stick your arm in a machine, it scans for veins, and then basically sticks you. A phlebotomist I know says she is glad she is nearing retirement because she thinks her job would get replaced by this. A company in the US she said is already purchasing it.

Figgy1

Premium Member
At the same time that it is becoming harder to get a job without a college diploma, many jobs are becoming automated for cost purposes. You have heard of the robot phlebotomist? In Japan if you want blood drawn a robot will do it. You stick your arm in a machine, it scans for veins, and then basically sticks you. A phlebotomist I know says she is glad she is nearing retirement because she thinks her job would get replaced by this. A company in the US she said is already purchasing it.
No machine is ever going to stick me with my itty bitty veins!

MySmallWorldof4

I will give a positive story pertaining to college tuition. Frank Langone, founder of Home Depot has long donated to NYU. A few years ago he had an endowment that grew big enough so that NYU med was tuition free. He announced the other day that NYU will have free tuition (not room and board), for all students. Boy do I wish that was available when I went there. I think Frank Langone has done a wonderful thing that is truly beneficial. There are many people who have wealth that are all talk about charity and helping others. This will help so many with post school debt. This is a model many schools should try and follow using their endowments along with their donors.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Keep an eye on that sky!! That's the color the sky turns before a tornado!

Not necessarily, and I've heard both sides of this argument down through the years. I pasted below a brief summary of what might cause the change in sky color, and it's not always predictive of a storm. Interesting read, though. (I put it there, becase Lord knows, I'm no scientist! Don't take my word for anything! ;) )

https://earthsky.org/earth/why-does-the-sky-change-color-before-a-tornado

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Putting this in my PTR and here...

OK... I need suggestions and opinions... I'm tired of being the only ones without spinner bags... I think it's time to upgrade the luggage ... what's everyones opinions on Hardside expandable spinners? Anyone have any suggestions on good/bad? Does anyone have soft side expandable spinners?

We are looking for something that might be different in color or pattern because everyone has a red softside bag these days.

I don't have a spinner bag. My suitcase has wheels on it and it works fine. Had it for years. But if you really want a spinner, just check the sales at places like Kohls, Target, Macy's, etc. Generally speaking, I'd stick with a major brand like (for example) Samsonite. Buy something quality, so that it will last a long time. Also, if you see something in person (and it's what you want, but too expensive), check out Amazon.

FutureCEO

Thank you.You speak volumes to my point and @MouseDreaming today.

You have a one in thirty chance of being hired by your firm if you lack a college degree. And that only if you were hired decades ago. You can hate on higher education, but the statistics you provide demonstrate that education is valued and valued by your firms hiring practices.

It is clear your firm and partners believe in higher education by hiring only people with college degrees and the lone one is someone closer to retirement age than youth of today. The only person without a college degree is a testament to a good firm that is loyal to their employees they employed decades ago when on the job training and a high school diploma might have been good enough. It is obvious they have changed their hiring practices in current times and the partners and firm values higher education more than you do if they are only hiring 29 employees that hold a higher education college degree.

Texas below is similar to Illinois U.S. licensing boards require that architects hold a professional degree from a NAAB-accredited program, which include bachelor of architecture, master of architecture, and doctor of architecture programs. More education is the norm not less for firms so hiring people lacking any higher education degrees is obsolete.
  1. Complete the Education requirement by obtaining your NAAB accredited professional degree in architecture.
  2. Fulfill the Experience requirement by enrolling in the Intern Development Program (IDP), a structured national training program that requires Interns to acquire experience under the direct supervision of a registered architect. IDP is managed by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards(NCARB), which allows you to carry your experiences from job to job and state to state.
  3. Complete the Examination, where you must take and pass each of the 7 divisions of the Architectural Registration Exam (ARE).
As was @MouseDreaming point, times change.

degrees are worthless for most people

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom