Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoarderPhreak

Who is this knave, with eyes so shifty - peeping at me from this, page 60? 🤣

u6x4cmwhwgfp7dhbwasb.jpg

Tanna Eros

Well.. imagine if Disney just moved all the bathrooms to the same spot as the smoking sections and see if your line of thinking still holds up as dismissive..
I'm still curious if the baby care centers are all at the front of the park. Stinky wet babies are subject to be stinky and wet until they get near the entrance, if that's the case. I only had my nieces and nephews, and it was their Florida grandmother that took them to the park, so I don't know, but if it's true that there's not care stations though out the park, this really bothers me.
I can wait to smoke, but anyone try to sit for an hour in pee-zy pants? No.

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

I'm still curious if the baby care centers are all at the front of the park. Stinky wet babies are subject to be stinky and wet until they get near the entrance, if that's the case. I only had my nieces and nephews, and it was their Florida grandmother that took them to the park, so I don't know, but if it's true that there's not care stations though out the park, this really bothers me.
During the summer months, I'd submit that most everyone is wet and stinky. 🤣

The Mom

Premium Member
Well.. imagine if Disney just moved all the bathrooms to the same spot as the smoking sections and see if your line of thinking still holds up as dismissive..

Except everybody "goes," not just a small % of people. Even if using a diaper, which still has to be changed. Being forced to "hold it" can actually cause medical problems - unlike having to wait to smoke until reaching the designated smoking area - wherever it may be.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Except everybody "goes," not just a small % of people. Even if using a diaper, which still has to be changed. Being forced to "hold it" can actually cause medical problems - unlike having to wait to smoke until reaching the designated smoking area - wherever it may be.

The size of the population using it really doesn't matter in the example. It's to point out the hypocrisy in the example given. If it were something you 'needed' yourself (like a bathroom) you'd be a bit more empathic to the burden vs making up false comparisons to willingness to wait in lines.

To be clear, I don't smoke... but I can empathize with the burden being asked of people. Moving it outside the gates (and possibly even security zone?) is a bit drastic IMO.

As much as we are moving much quicker now to stomp out smoking as a whole... it is still very much a portion of many people's lives, and arguably a dependency for a portion of that group as well.

Disney embraces plenty of 'hinderance by choice' lifestyles that have negative impacts on other guests. Shunning the smokers to some far corner is still a better compromise (IMO) then kicking them outside.

The Mom

Premium Member
The size of the population using it really doesn't matter in the example. It's to point out the hypocrisy in the example given. If it were something you 'needed' yourself (like a bathroom) you'd be a bit more empathic to the burden vs making up false comparisons to willingness to wait in lines.

To be clear, I don't smoke... but I can empathize with the burden being asked of people. Moving it outside the gates (and possibly even security zone?) is a bit drastic IMO.

As much as we are moving much quicker now to stomp out smoking as a whole... it is still very much a portion of many people's lives, and arguably a dependency for a portion of that group as well.

Disney embraces plenty of 'hinderance by choice' lifestyles that have negative impacts on other guests. Shunning the smokers to some far corner is still a better compromise (IMO) then kicking them outside.

I agree that it's drastic and I had no problem with the smoking areas. But there is no comparison between smoking and a bodily function that is necessary for the health and life of every human being - even if someone is unable to perform said function, it still has to be dealt with in some way, in private. There is no hypocrisy involved - people must go to the bathroom or suffer serious health problems. WDW (and most everyone in North America and Europe) would prefer that it be done in private - so have put in restrooms conveniently located for that purpose.

People who are not allowed to smoke might feel like dying, but lack of smoking is not going to cause any medical problems except withdrawal symptoms - and they can still get a fix within minutes, if they choose to go outside the entrance.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I agree that it's drastic and I had no problem with the smoking areas. But there is no comparison between smoking and a bodily function that is necessary for the health and life of every human being - even if someone is unable to perform said function, it still has to be dealt with in some way, in private. There is no hypocrisy involved - people must go to the bathroom or suffer serious health problems. WDW (and most everyone in North America and Europe) would prefer that it be done in private - so have put in restrooms conveniently located for that purpose.

People who are not allowed to smoke might feel like dying, but lack of smoking is not going to cause any medical problems except withdrawal symptoms - and they can still get a fix within minutes, if they choose to go outside the entrance.

So, does anyone yet understand what "entrance" is?

To me - it's ticket check. The real Park Entrance. That element, within the Security perimeter, that is exterior to the Park.

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
I can wait to smoke, but anyone try to sit for an hour in pee-zy pants? No.
they have baby changing stations in all bathrooms and family care bathrooms

BoarderPhreak

... can actually cause medical problems - unlike having to wait to smoke until reaching the designated smoking area - wherever it may be.
I don't know... I'd say it can cause medical problems for others. Some smokers can get pretty ornery when they're jonesin' hard. 🤔

So, does anyone yet understand what "entrance" is?
Disney doesn't even know yet. 🙄

flynnibus

Premium Member

The post and comparison was not to say Disney should make smoking as accessible as bathrooms. It's not making a direct comparison of the worthiness or need. It's simply to make an analogy to an experience that everyone can relate to. The bathroom analogy is to simply make someone walk in their shoes before throwing stones. Everyone needs the bathroom, so they can relate to that example.

The comparison being challenged is the willingness to bear a burden for an attraction vs the willingness to bear a burden to have a smoke.

No one wants to go through great lengths to find and use the restroom (even well before any medical risks..). Our willingness to walk or wait great lengths for attractions has zero to do with that or the degress we will commit or not (hence why the post I replied to was bunkus). The poster was simply not empathic with the hassle the smoker would face... so the point is to take something they take for granted, put in the same situation, and see how you may rethink the burden someone else shoulders :)

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The point here is not the merit of smoking. Most of us agree that it s$cks. Most of us have tried to quit on multiple occasions. Most of us still want to quit

The point here is telling 20k+ people everyday “hey, we’d appreciate if you didn’t smoke - but we’re really not going to do anything if you do - other than asking you to put it out”.

Seems like the message being sent is “don’t get caught”. Which is different than “no smoking permitted”

DisneyDude10

I will admit, as a smoker, that Disney took very little consideration in where they placed their smoking sections within the parks. Back when we first started going regularly in 2010, not only were there many more smoking sections within the parks, but they were located in very high traffic areas that families and children passed through.
Over the years the number of smoking sections dwindled but the locations were STILL in inconsiderate areas. I’ve always tried to be a considerate smoker around others. For the most part I have smoked in only designated smoking areas. I have never violated a smoking area within a park, but won’t deny having a cigarette in say, the parking lot of one of the parks or resorts in an area that is clearly not being traversed by fellow park patrons but is also not a designated smoking section.
In fact, my wife and I have always joked that Disney needed to hire me, a considerate smoker, to determine where to put the smoking sections within the parks and resorts.
Please understand, I am fully aware of how bad smoking is for you. I know I should quit and I know that exposure to second hand smoke has been proven to cause health related issues over long periods of time. So I can not argue that. However, I do think that Disney could position smoking sections within the parks that are much less intrusive than what they currently have. I’m afraid too, that smokers will light up wherever they deem appropriate rather than going outside of the parks. ESPECIALLY if that means having to go through security and the turnstiles again. I think it will be hard to enforce and there will be very vocal smokers that express their disgust about not having smoking sections within the parks. I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE but have conversated with many-a-smoker in the smoking sections over the years that lead me to believe that people will be very vocal about this issue.

Just been on my mind for several years, not looking to step on any toes or defend any single parties, but simply wanted to share my thoughts on the issue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Seems like the message being sent is “don’t get caught”. Which is different than “no smoking permitted”

Seems like another great example for what Disney has needed all along. A demerit system in MDE. Three strikes you're out.

Get caught smoking... get a mark
Be an a s s that requires security get involved... get a mark
Get busted for disrupting other guests with your camera antics... get a mark

Accumulate enough, you get dimissed from the park. Keep doing it, get banned.

Vacation goers need their MDE accounts... AP holders can't readily change their identity without rebuying. So MDE provides a reasonable form of 'record' that can follow a guest.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I don't know... I'd say it can cause medical problems for others. Some smokers can get pretty ornery when they're jonesin' hard. 🤔

Disney doesn't even know yet. 🙄

So - forget about how one feels about the "policy".... This was ill timed, as WDW Management does not have a firm PLAN. And still does not.

Seriously looks like "Management Amateur Hour". Serious Policy shifts need to be thought out, to prevent chaos both internal to, and external to, a responsible Corporation. The CMs will be confused. The Public will be confused. VERY poor planning, execution :(.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Seems like another great example for what Disney has needed all along. A demerit system in MDE. Three strikes you're out.

Get caught smoking... get a mark
Be an a s s that requires security get involved... get a mark
Get busted for disrupting other guests with your camera antics... get a mark

Accumulate enough, you get dimissed from the park. Keep doing it, get banned.

Vacation goers need their MDE accounts... AP holders can't readily change their identity without rebuying. So MDE provides a reasonable form of 'record' that can follow a guest.

I posed that in an earlier post. They could swipe your band and issue a warning and then adopt a “three strike” policy. That kind of enforcement gets this to work. “Sorry, you can’t smoke here”....doesn’t

It’d work for alcohol consumption as well.

Question is.....does it matter enough for Disney to unleash “smoke (or alcohol) commandos”

flynnibus

Premium Member
I posed that in an earlier post. They could swipe your band and issue a warning and then adopt a “three strike” policy. That kind of enforcement gets this to work. “Sorry, you can’t smoke here”....doesn’t

Given the rashness of these recent changes. I think it's clear Disney will just take the 'just say no...' and adapt later if its persistent problem instead of trying to have something lock-tight up front.

It fits Disney's classic M-O too.. which is to not punish guests unless at the very edge of extreme.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Given the rashness of these recent changes. I think it's clear Disney will just take the 'just say no...' and adapt later if its persistent problem instead of trying to have something lock-tight up front.

It fits Disney's classic M-O too.. which is to not punish guests unless at the very edge of extreme.

From my personal perspective I’ve already figured out how to adapt for everything other than AK. It just takes a bit of extra planning.

Passing near the hub (MK) or Hollywood Blvd every 2hrs is doable. EPCOT with IG in the mix is doable as well. AK - I’m looking for some shrubs tall enough to hide behind.

ImperfectPixie

After seeing someone comment that there are tons of CM smoking areas out of sight around the parks...that really convinced me that this is just a huge PR move (much like firing James Gunn). For all we know, they might just be performing an experiment to see if it's enforceable.

BoarderPhreak

That is way too much confrontation for Disney. 🤔

Walking around and enforcing like that, asking people for their papers. Dragging crying, wailing people out to the horror of their kids. The humanity!

After seeing someone comment that there are tons of CM smoking areas out of sight around the parks...that really convinced me that this is just a huge PR move (much like firing James Gunn). For all we know, they might just be performing an experiment to see if it's enforceable.
The PR would be worse if they had to walk it back. 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom