Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Movielover

I don't see how they could ban those - they aren't actually smoking materials, just a means of ingesting nicotine.

The smoke could still be considered upsetting to some. It's why they are banned in alot of movie theaters cause they can be distracting from the movie. Sure they are not the same as cigarettes but could still be harmful, especially if they explode in ones pocket! ;)

ImperfectPixie

The smoke could still be considered upsetting to some. It's why they are banned in alot of movie theaters cause they can be distracting from the movie. Sure they are not the same as cigarettes but could still be harmful, especially if they explode in ones pocket! ;)
Um...I was referring to nicotine patches and nicotine gum. How are those smoked?

EDIT: Also, if you look at a few comments above, I confirmed that e-cigs were included in the ban.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So does alcohol and it causes more disruption and violence in society than marijuana. We all have experienced mean drunks, angry drunks, and excessively loud drunks. People high on marijuana are generally mellow and easy going, yes there are exceptions. Wacky tobacky has been helping people "let it go" long before Elsa was singing about it!.:happy:

Except alchohol is legal... smoking pot in public isn't - even where decriminalized. But it becomes a difficult thing to regulate. Someone asked 'why do they care?' - well that's why. I didn't say it was the only substance that can cause friction.

PeoplemoverTTA

So I wasn't being crazy in my calculations? I don't recall it being huge when I went, but that was in 1976.
We laid out the maps and looked at the distances when this news came out.

I didn’t mean to assume you were deliberately being hyperbolic with my emoji there. I don’t know distances, but I do travel to the parks, most often several times per year (until my daughter was born). Last summer we took my daughter, who was 7 months old at the time. We were heading to the front of the park for the baby care center 4-5 times per day (in Epcot it was near the odyssey and in AK it wasn’t near the front, but the same principle applies). We just built travel to the baby center into our schedule like meals and FPs. And unless you’re in a far corner of a park, and as long as you don’t have physical restrictions, it’s definitely accurate to say that much of the time, you’ll be a 10-minute walk from the front.

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

Meanwhile, over at Nemo...

GettyImages_1060130714.0.jpg

Da Bird is Da Word

E-cigs ARE included in the ban. They were listed in the images/e-mail sent to TAs. I highly doubt they're going to make a big deal of any smoking materials at the gate aside from "please be aware the only remaining smoking area is outside the gate".

Cool, thanks for the info. If my gf can discreetly take a puff or two every couple of hours from a small e-cig , then that should prevent some disruptive trips to the park entrance throughout the day. I know it’s still technically breaking the rules, but we’ll gauge the situation once we get there. Might also invest in some nicotine gum to see if that helps lol.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I find it amusing how planes still have the no-smoking light. I remember how my parents (and all the other smokers) would immediately light up as soon as that light went off.
Well, to remind smokers.. There are still so many cases where they INSIST in smoking in the lavatory and even tampering with the alarm system there.

LittleBuford

Well, to remind smokers.. There are still so many cases where they INSIST in smoking in the lavatory and even tampering with the alarm system there.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I’m surprised they still use lights (which can theoretically be turned off) rather than plain old stickers. Then again, I suppose lights have the advantage of being visible in the dark.

BoarderPhreak

People vape in the lavs (or right at their seat) more than you think. Things like vape pens and salt-based vapes produce very little vapor, and even more heavy-hitting vapes can be dialed down. Juices can be tailored to produce less vapor (more PG, less VG). Hold it in, exhale downwards and voila. If you think WDW guests, let alone CMs will detect this, you are largely mistaken.

Tony the Tigger

So just counted about 50 in the AK smoking area - for everyone that leaves - one enters

About 15% percent of the population smokes. About 55000 avg daily visitors to the MK alone. Means on any given day there are over 8000 smokers just at the MK. All of them are going to follow the new rule - considering there isn’t any real penalty?

No. Some will stay home. Most will follow the rules. A few troublemakers will require correction.

Lensman

My dad worked in the aviation business for nearly 40 years. Smoking was initially prohibited during takeoff and landing.
Ah, apologies, that wasn't how I interpreted your statement that "smoking was banned on airplanes". I thought you were talking about the bans on smoking on airplanes rather than the prohibition against smoking during the takeoff and landing phases of flight.

Note: I used to work for American Airlines 25 years ago, but I'm not sure how that's relevant to anything I've said. It should provide me no additional credibility on smoking bans on commercial airlines whatsoever. Lol

That is untrue. I was asked to either return to my hotel or turn my t-shirt inside out when i (in my younger days) wore an "offensive" t-shirt to the magic kimgdom. I chose the second option and went straight to the emporium to by a disney T.
Does it always get enforced ? Not always. But there is enforcement there.
That's actually what I meant by "No, wait", that people actually are ejected from the park for refusing to comply with the dress code.

Anyway, in your example, the question is whether they would eject you from the park if you refused to comply with their request to turn your t-shirt inside out and instead ignored them and continued into the park. I know from other threads that they are supposed to catch dress code violations at the park entrance, but in cases where they don't, how far do they go to enforce it?

Then the question is whether they will go just as far to enforce their ban on smoking in the parks.

But I agree that if you are caught smoking, the most you will need to do is put your cigarette out and you will be allowed to remain in the park. The only question I have is how far will they go for people who refuse to even do that.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ah, apologies, that wasn't how I interpreted your statement that "smoking was banned on airplanes". I thought you were talking about the bans on smoking on airplanes rather than the prohibition against smoking during the takeoff and landing phases of flight.

Note: I used to work for American Airlines 25 years ago, but I'm not sure how that's relevant to anything I've said. It should provide me no additional credibility on smoking bans on commercial airlines whatsoever. Lol

Dad was VP Maintenance/Engineering for a major carrier. As you probably know, not all incidents made the news. Everyone in the business has their favorite horror or funny story.

Goofyernmost

Meanwhile, over at Nemo...

GettyImages_1060130714.0.jpg
I will admit that that type of Vaporer (is that a word?) is over the top. I have seen that as well, but, there are the small pen like appliances that emit just minor amounts of vapor. It works quite like a regular cigarette, but without the continued burning between puffs or the continued particles in the air.. I have followed behind cars that had a driver vaping and literal thick clouds of vapor would come wafting out the window. It was like they were trying to create their own cloud cover. (Or maybe their car was on fire! Could have been either.) That is stupid and counter productive especially when they have a full dose of nicotine in the juice. Why bother it is almost as expensive as an actual cigarette, however, on the plus side it doesn't have the "tar" that is the real killer when it comes to lung cancer, emphysema and COPD. It is indeed just vapor like in "vaporizer". It leaves no odor behind, it bothers no one else and is a wonderful way to help quit the habit of smoking cigarettes that everyone, including the smoker hates more then you could possibly imagine. The cloud people look like fools and I can understand why no one wants to be around them. The ones I feel bad for the most would be those that are trying hard to break the habit, but, are treated the same way that someone smoking a cigar in a small room is treated. It is just to bad that the public just cannot be educated about the difference, but, apparently they can't.

Even after I quit and had gotten through the process of patch and Zyban I found myself fidgeting while driving. What the problem was is that the physical dependence was controlled, but, there was still a gap in the emotional portion. Driving with my hands at 10 and 2 was not enough, so I went to vaping with juice that had the same throat hit (stimuli) and emotional habitual movement as cigarettes, but, with Zero amount of Nicotine or Tar, so there was no recurrence of the unhealthy habit of smoking leaves that had been drenched with chemicals supporting the nicotine and the tar that comes with burning leaves. I have never looked into it, but, I'm not sure how Marijuana smoking escapes the tar part. Perhaps it doesn't have it to begin with. Anyway my device is a small pencil length and width and emits a small amount of vapor that usually dissipates about a foot away from the user. It really is perfectly safe for anyone around them and doesn't contain any of the properties that should cause any allergic reaction that actual "Smoke" does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom