The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Yes, of course they do! :p

I think I must live in some sort of alternate universe from the people you design high-end homes for. In our bathroom, there is no TV, but there is a clock that tells correct time, as long as it's Standard Time. When it's Daylight Savings Time, it will still show Standard Time, because the little plastic thing that changes the time, broke ages ago -- and we never bothered to replace the clock. (So in the summer we "add"an hour to whatever it says.) Other than that, it's a perfectly good clock and very reliable. :hilarious:

Now, that's class!!! :joyfull:

Hahaaa...!!!!! :hilarious:
Yep, high-end custom residential is a whole other world that I’ll never know personally by living in any of it, but, it is my career, so I’m very familiar with some pretty trendy stuff...in my position, I better be...! ;)

For example, here are some pics of some renderings of just one high-end custom residential project we’ve been working on for over a year now...

6F09D976-B449-45C8-98D4-6C0076B55D13.jpeg
E65ABB37-1D32-4E13-90B6-05BA98CA869C.jpeg
83E9B67A-D4F4-4F62-84AA-632D0067B0E5.jpeg
6DF4AAC5-333C-408A-9A89-A6CD1C288EC9.jpeg

As you can see, she’ll have a beautiful garden and water feature/stream just outside of her closet.
In the last photo of the garage lounge I have circled 3 display cases that will have Samurai warriors in them and a 3-screen multi-purpose simulator. You can swap out a steering wheel for motorcycle handle bars, or an airplane stick or yoke, etc., depending on the simulation you want.
Yep, a whole other world, for sure...!!! :geek:
A TV screen in a bathroom mirror is a mere novelty to folks like this.
Just the plain facts.
Now, if I ever win the lottery (that I don’t play :cyclops:;)), the first thing I’m gonna’ do is go out and get me one a’ them mirrors with a TV in it...!!!!!!! :joyfull::D:hilarious:;)

SteveBrickNJ

I think we're going to need a party bus:joyfull: Making stops along route 80 into the NYC metro area south to 78 @SteveBrickNJ hope that's not too far out of the way to 81 sorry @MySmallWorldof4 and @StarWarsGirl you'll have to travel just a bit to meet up with us along 81 down into NC before getting to FLORIDA! Does that route work for everybody?
Works for me :cool:

MySmallWorldof4

That’s great!!! I’m a huge fan of leasing because of how quickly cars depreciate.

I’m optimistic that I’ll probably do well when I eventually trade this car in (your Suburban will too)... Wranglers don’t depreciate too much, unless you add a bunch of options.. the original owner already took the hit on that.. so I should be good from start to finish! Now I just have to plan a cool road trip for us. ;)
Sounds like a great idea!

93boomer

Premium Member

MySmallWorldof4

I lease now... because my dealer is great about buying the car outright, before my lease ends to put it on their lot.... so I never pay for miles over, or have to go thru that lease inspection carp.... and I get a new car every 3 years!
We were told by a salesman that the car dealerships make money on used cars and not new cars. Don't know how that works, but that was what he said.

StarWarsGirl

I don’t think I would ever get a brand new car again. Our Suburban was a dealer car and had 6,000 miles on if and they took an extra $6,000 off the price. On top of that it was already discounted.
I think I'll probably be like my parents and never buy used. I hated always being in the shop with my old cars. I know I'm not going to have to worry about that with my Honda for a while (now that we got rid of the chipmunks...). I'm not even due for an oil change yet; my car only has 3,500 miles on it. Plus my interest rate is 0.9%. No way would I have qualified for that on a used car.

My parents were able to get their latest Enclave with steep discounts since it's a 2017.

Goofyernmost

My dealer's finance guy actually talked me out of that! I kept waiting for the hard-sell, then it seemed like we were almost done. I asked about it, and he showed me a page on the computer of all the recently returned leased vehicles. Most had no extra charges. A few had $100-$400 charges. He said the insurance was something like $755 so don't bother, they want you to be happy and lease again.

OK!

Also I was surprised how much the payments varied at different dealerships. I drove myself nuts for about a week researching cars, prices, etc., going back and forth from buying to leasing. If buying, I was looking at a recent used "certified" Honda CR-V, expected to be very reliable, and had a nice ride for that category. As I went more toward leasing, I ended up with the Toyota RAV4 XLE.

One Toyota dealer was offering $1000 down and $336/month. I almost went for it, but thought it wasn't much of a discount for the "big 2018 leftover sale." Another Toyota dealer called me the next morning, was surprisingly forthcoming with details and pricig over the phone, and offered "sign and drive" (really $500 down to cover first month's payment, title transfer, tags, etc.) and $282/month. (That's a $54/month difference plus $500.) They also offered a little more for my garbage trade, which brought it down a smidge more. So I decided to throw down another $1,000 and ended up with $242/mo. including tax.

What happens at the end I guess depends on how much I like the car, what the offer for me to buy it is, etc.

But it's nice to drive something with modern features for a change!
Yea, this car that I have now, is the first lease I have ever done. I have owned I don't know how many cars and I always kept them to long, if I liked them. The one I have now, I really like so come Sept. I already know that I am going to have a tough time letting go, but, logically, for me it makes no sense. For one thing the warranty is up the same time as my lease and the contract called for the ability to buy it for $10K which is OK, but, then I am still basically making payments and have no guarantees in place. I have told my daughter that I expect her to treat me like a doddering old fool and make sure that I turn it in for a new one. If I have to make a payment, I might as will go for something new. At my age I see no advantage to owning one anymore.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Feel free to call them too! You don't have to wait for them to call...

In my last lease I was hit in a parking lot, and my insurance paid to get it fix, minus deductible, just as if it were my own (michigan is a no fault state)
If it needed repairs to be usable and sellable that is what they wouldn't cover. Just scratches, door marks and minor dents plus replacement tires if needed, etc. I think the policy was only $125. for the entire lease.

21stamps

I think I'll probably be like my parents and never buy used. I hated always being in the shop with my old cars. I know I'm not going to have to worry about that with my Honda for a while (now that we got rid of the chipmunks...). I'm not even due for an oil change yet; my car only has 3,500 miles on it. Plus my interest rate is 0.9%. No way would I have qualified for that on a used car.

My parents were able to get their latest Enclave with steep discounts since it's a 2017.

It depends on what year “used”. My Wrangler is 6 months old.. so the warranty on it is actually longer than a new car warranty because it’s certified.

I need to edit this and say- the 7year/100k mile warranty is nice, but something that I’ll never utilize for that amount of time. I think the longest I’ve ever kept a car was 32 months. 🤣 I think this you be similar.. but who knows.. maybe I could hold onto it for 7.5 years for T ;) (doubtful)

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I stopped buying new ages ago. I got tired of taking that depreciation hit the moment you drive out of the yard. So what I did do was buy almost new or left over inventory from the previous years models. Saved lots and still had a new car. Not the absolute current year, but, new in every other way.

21stamps

I stopped buying new ages ago. I got tired of taking that depreciation hit the moment you drive out of the yard. So what I did do was buy almost new or left over inventory from the previous years models. Saved lots and still had a new car. Not the absolute current year, but, new in every other way.

...or lease. Those are all a really a good way to help with the depreciation aspect.

Goofyernmost

...or lease. Those are all a really a good way to help with the depreciation aspect.
Yes, there was a story with the leasing of my current car. Almost everyday I would go to the local mall to do the old person waddle to keep the joints moving. Everyday I would pass by this car sitting there in the middle of a wing with barrier fancy ropes around it.

When I started looking around for a replacement car I went to the dealer and looked at what they had on the lot and really wasn't all that impressed with what I saw so eventually I asked if the one that was on display at the mall could be harvested. They said yes, and I said, do it. I didn't even get the chance to drive it, although I had tried out a like vehicle. The day I was supposed to pick the car up, they were supposed to get it in the shop and go over it, clean, make sure the fluids, etc. were ready to go. I went for my walk in the mall and it was still there. I called the salesman and asked if I was going to have to drive the car out of the mall or were they going to get it back to the dealership and do their prep thing. He sounded shocked, but, finally got it back and ready for mid afternoon when I was scheduled to pick it up and sign the papers.

I love the color of this thing and when I put the reindeer antlers and red nose on the front logo this past Christmas it was almost perfect. :joyfull:anew car.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom