Wait Lines for New Gondolas

thomas998

I was responding to a post that intimated most of the energy is from coal, which it demonstrably isn't.

Learn2context.
And your response was babbling about where electricity came from and what was used to power the buses as if buses were somehow worse at pollution than electricity. Doesn't matter if its coal, diesel or natural gas they all produce CO2... but somehow you wanted to pretend buses caused more pollution than power generation. If you want to go down that road then be honest and explain how green nuclear is since it produces some of the electricity in Florida and leave behind radioactive waste that will be around for thousands of years after you've died.... so go on explain how green that is.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And your response was babbling about where electricity came from and what was used to power the buses as if buses were somehow worse at pollution than electricity. Doesn't matter if its coal, diesel or natural gas they all produce CO2... but somehow you wanted to pretend buses caused more pollution than power generation. If you want to go down that road then be honest and explain how green nuclear is since it produces some of the electricity in Florida and leave behind radioactive waste that will be around for thousands of years after you've died.... so go on explain how green that is.

Failed2context.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
In my educated opinion dozens of buses use far more energy than the drive systems of the gondola. Is that better? The link was just a link to the drive system being used. It was informational. You are welcome to draw whatever conclusion you would like but I would bet that I am correct.

Yes but how many cast members will be turning the wheel that drives the gondola system, and are they gassy?

justintheharris

Sorry as I haven't read the whole thread and if this has already been asked but does anyone have a feeling there will be a magicband touch point to get in line and the service will only be available for those who are staying at those resorts?

Raineman

Well. This thread is turning out to be even crappier than the toilet paper thread. Are there any aerial transportation experts on here than can give us the actual facts?

thomas998

One electric drive motor per line and its associated water cooling is greener than the total energy use of all of the buses currently running on those same routes.

https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/components/custom-drive-solutions/doppelmayr-direct-drive-ddd/
It really depends on where the electricity comes from as to whether it is greener or not. The link you gave is the marketing data for the company trying to sell these gondolas as green transportation, if you look carefully at it you see that it does not in any way take into account the pollution generated at the power plant. This is pretty much the same marketing crap that Toyota used for their electric cars and which was debunked in the Wall Street Journal when they showed how much pollution is actually associated with electric cars. So are the gondola really going to be greener than buses, who knows... but I wouldn't just blindly accept the marketing material from the seller of the gondolas as the truth any more than I would trust a used car salesman telling he a car he was selling was only driven to church by a little old lady.

NormC

It really depends on where the electricity comes from as to whether it is greener or not. The link you gave is the marketing data for the company trying to sell these gondolas as green transportation, if you look carefully at it you see that it does not in any way take into account the pollution generated at the power plant. This is pretty much the same marketing crap that Toyota used for their electric cars and which was debunked in the Wall Street Journal when they showed how much pollution is actually associated with electric cars. So are the gondola really going to be greener than buses, who knows... but I wouldn't just blindly accept the marketing material from the seller of the gondolas as the truth any more than I would trust a used car salesman telling he a car he was selling was only driven to church by a little old lady.

My point is simply that the Gondola will use a lot less energy than the dozens of buses currently driving the routes that will be replaced by the gondolas. At the end of the day that means it is greener. I don't care if the buses use bio-diesel or the electricity comes from a coal plant. The gondolas will be a net positive.

Goofyernmost

When I am responding to someone's comment, the comment is quoted if you can't bother to read quoted comment in a post then maybe you shouldn't bother responding at all because clearly you are skipping a large part of a conversation. You're inability to simply read the entire comment including the post makes as much sense as watching a debate and ignoring one everything one of the debaters says.
I don't care if you quoted Mahatma Gandhi, I was reacting to your words. I didn't make them up when I quoted them from you. I was reacting to what you said. Who you where responding to, is irrelevant. You can twist this anyway you want, you are the one that said what you said. Yet, you continue to act like I made up your statements. However, as I usually do when the conversation gets to the point of ridiculous... I will say, OK, you were right and take leave of virtual beating my head against a brick wall. As an ending note... if you believe that Disney maintains their fleet well, then say so. However, if you don't then say that. In the meantime... Adios!

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Sorry as I haven't read the whole thread and if this has already been asked but does anyone have a feeling there will be a magicband touch point to get in line and the service will only be available for those who are staying at those resorts?

I highly doubt it. The system has more then enough capacity to handle the people that aren't staying at the connected resorts.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Those resorts have stores and restaurants. They are not exclusively for guests of the resorts, so transportation can't reasonably be limited to only guests of the resorts.

thomas998

I don't care if you quoted Mahatma Gandhi, I was reacting to your words. I didn't make them up when I quoted them from you. I was reacting to what you said. Who you where responding to, is irrelevant. You can twist this anyway you want, you are the one that said what you said. Yet, you continue to act like I made up your statements. However, as I usually do when the conversation gets to the point of ridiculous... I will say, OK, you were right and take leave of virtual beating my head against a brick wall. As an ending note... if you believe that Disney maintains their fleet well, then say so. However, if you don't then say that. In the meantime... Adios!
You just proved my point, you act as if I claimed Disney maintains their fleet well... I never said they maintained them well, the only fleet of buses I ever mentioned as being well maintained was that of a local school... Clearly you can't even read a direct post let alone the quoted comments that they are attached too.

thomas998

In my educated opinion dozens of buses use far more energy than the drive systems of the gondola. Is that better? The link was just a link to the drive system being used. It was informational. You are welcome to draw whatever conclusion you would like but I would bet that I am correct.
No educated, just a guess. Do you know the size of the motors required to power a gondola line? How about the electricity used to operate the entry and exit points? How about the energy used to maintain the system? You've made a guess based on one of many factors and don't even have a clue as to the amount of energy used by the single motor you are yammering about. You made a guess, but it wasn't educated.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
No educated, just a guess. Do you know the size of the motors required to power a gondola line? How about the electricity used to operate the entry and exit points? How about the energy used to maintain the system? You've made a guess based on one of many factors and don't even have a clue as to the amount of energy used by the single motor you are yammering about. You made a guess, but it wasn't educated.

Steamboat Springs' life has a 1100HP Electric motor with a 1350 HP Cummins diesel engine as auxillary power, so I'd assume something like this for each segment.

Minnesota disney fan

I was under the impression that all buses at Disney run on reclaimed or used oil. Does anyone know if that is right?

thomas998

Steamboat Springs' life has a 1100HP Electric motor with a 1350 HP Cummins diesel engine as auxillary power, so I'd assume something like this for each segment.
Assuming 746 watts/hp, a motor efficiency of say 93% and running the gondola about 18 hours per day then it would be about $1,375 a day assuming about 10 cents per Kwh for electricity. No clue how many buses they will be able to take out of commission when the gondolas start up but if you assume the buses spend half their time standing to load or unload, which would burn about .8 gallons per hour so assume same 18 hours per day and that's 9 hours at .8 gallons... then the time they are running they are getting maybe an average of 30 mph when moving so 30 times 9 or 270 miles per day, at a burn rate of about 4 miles per gallon and your using 67.5 to travel plus 7.2 idling assume 3.75/gallon for diesel and your spending $280 / bus in fuel... so you need to knock out at least 5 buses per gondola motor used to break even on fuel costs.

Then the question is how many motors will the entire system use... and how many buses will be taken out of service when it starts running.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom