Wait Lines for New Gondolas

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
LOL if CB and Pop become the “must stays” then I’ll be very happy

...lol...the concept is ridiculous. Some of the most overpriced cheap hotel rooms in the country - if not the universe. About to be added to with a similar timeshare “experiment”. Just a theory on the latter.
Their prices are likely to adjust accordingly due to being Gondola served.

Many of the kids still either can’t or don’t want to accept what you’re speaking of here, oh soothsayer 😉

CLEtoWDW

Considering they are serving two resorts that (by far) have the largest guest capacity I think the wait times may sometimes be rather long. I continually go back to this being a bad idea considering they have to shut the system down whenever there is lightning in the area. I think a downtime of 20-30% is not out of the rhelm of possibility.

Goofyernmost

Considering they are serving two resorts that (by far) have the largest guest capacity I think the wait times may sometimes be rather long. I continually go back to this being a bad idea considering they have to shut the system down whenever there is lightning in the area. I think a downtime of 20-30% is not out of the rhelm of possibility.
I think you and everyone else is jumping to conclusions about the shutdowns because of lightning. High winds might be a problem but lightning really isn't. The towers and the gondola's are grounded and even a direct hit on the highest point (the towers) would be loud, but, shouldn't harm anyone. At any rate all that has ever been mentioned is the speculation that they will shut them down. They might, I really don't know, but, I do know that I have never read anything that could be listed as actual operating fact. Lightning in central Florida is an almost daily happening in the summer, but, the storms usually go through fast and by the time they got buses there and people from the Gondola stations to the bus areas, the storm will have passed and the sun will be shining brightly. It's just the nature of storms in Florida. A hurricane is another story, but, if one of those is about to hit there will be nothing open to go too.
Yeah, but... aren't all those haul ropes cored with tons of -- wait for it -- PLASTIC?
A thought about the plastic. Do people think the plastic is the same strength as a cereal box toy? Some plastics now are tougher then steel. What they do besides make the ride quieter is that being between some of the strands of steel also act as an insulator. Since the steel is a conductor of heat the plastic will help to keep the cable cooler because it doesn't conduct heat or electricity (for those that are worried about the above mentioned lightning). So besides being quieter, it also reduces friction between the strands thus keeping them cooler and is as tough as the steel cable itself. Instead of panic shouldn't this be generating a bit of calmness?

NormC

What they do besides make the ride quieter is that being between some of the strands of steel also act as an insulator. Since the steel is a conductor of heat the plastic will help to keep the cable cooler because it doesn't conduct heat or electricity (for those that are worried about the above mentioned lightning). So besides being quieter, it also reduces friction between the strands thus keeping them cooler and is as tough as the steel cable itself. Instead of panic shouldn't this be generating a bit of calmness?
Just No. Here is the real reason for the plastic which has been around for nearly 10 years.
From an industry expert @ the Gondola Project:

A standard propulsion cable (or ‘rope’) is not uniform in diameter. The basic nature of taking dozens of separate, uniformly-shaped strands and winding them together into a larger rope ensures non-uniformity. That non-uniformity has three major drawbacks:

Firstly, the ropes wear more heavily on rubber components such as the sheaves and bullwheels than they would were they of a uniform diameter.

Secondly, the lack of uniformity causes slight vibrations between the ropes and other components that cause an increase in noise. The low-level humming one hears at a ski lift is typically due to this issue.

Thirdly, increased rope maintenance is required than would be necessary with ropes of uniform diameter.

Cables such as Fatzer’s Integra (Steel) line of ropes are almost completely uniform in diameter, but that uniformity results in a rigidity that prohibits their use as propulsion ropes. Such uniform-diameter ropes can be used almost exclusively for support functions (such as in a 3S or Aerial Tram installation).

What the Performa line of cables does – in layman’s terms – is fill in the ‘gaps’ of a rope’s diameter using plastic to best-approximate a uniform diameter. The flexibility of the plastic, meanwhile, allows the rope to be used as a propulsion cable.

That benefit, however, comes at a cost. A Performa rope costs roughly twice the price of a standard rope. That premium feature is often out of the price range of most ski hills as: a) hills only experience a short 4 month long peak season; b) lifts typically operate for only 8 or 9 hours out of the day and; c) the outlying areas ski hills service minimize the need for decreased noise pollution.
But here’s the interesting thing: On a typical lift, the rope costs less than 1% of the total project price. So while a rope such as the Performa may be cost prohibitive in a ski lift market, the marginal cost of a Performa cable is more than justified in the urban market. This is due simply to higher overall project prices in urban installations; the need for decreased noise in urban environments and; the need for decreased wear-and-tear on a system due to increased overall usage in urban markets.
In other words, ropes such as the Performa should yield significantly greater benefits in an urban environment as compared to the marginal costs involved in their application.
It’s common to hear complaints from people about the aforementioned low-level humming of lifts as an argument against their application in urban environments. Yet here we have, again, a tried-and-tested method of dealing with that very problem. But since the cable industry is still focused on their core ski lift market, this solution is rarely offered proactively as a solution to laymen in the urban transportation industry.

Disney was willing to pay extra for the Performa rope to keep the noise down.

graphite1326

The gondolas are a way to get buses off the roads. They are not a way to improve reliability, they are a greener and more efficient transport system.
Oh do have the statistics of how much electricity is used to run these gondolas? Does it really use less energy? Remember coal is one of the main sources to produce electricity. Also fuel oil on a smaller scale. Let's not forget maintenance. Over time these one of a kind parts are going to wear and will need replaced which will require specialized man power/training unlike going to get a part for a bus. Not greener and not more efficient. Reliability remains to be seen. Remember, when a bus breaks down it can be replace by another. If the gondola system breaks down you are stuck several feet in the air.

thomas998

I don't know how many CM's that Disney is planning on using for the Gondola's, But, they have buses running to the resorts about every 20 minutes, very seldom is it the same bus or driver. There are at least 1000 drivers on the payroll. (That is a the number quoted to me when I was looking into applying for a driver position over 10 years ago.) Factor in the number of maintenance people required to keep that fleet running, the cost of fuel for 20 ton vehicles, the cost of changing the oil (about 25 gals. per bus), Tires? At least 6 per vehicle at $300. apiece. Constant daily requirements, touch up, probably daily washing. Cleaning crews to keep the interiors clean, brake replacement, the cost of parts replacement, the size of the garage/maintenance facility itself. And you can put a whole lot of CM's at those five stations on the Gondola line. A bus comes with a whole lot of expense that none of us even think about, but, trust me... it's there and it is enormous.

Where did you get the idea that the buses are unreliable, they are fine, but, they are like that trophy wife, they come with a high cost. They are also smelly and messy and are a prisoner to traffic. I don't want to see any bus drivers laid off, that is the last thing and the most important negative to the change over to Gondola's. However, life and times change. We cannot live in the past forever, at some point we must move forward and even if Disney saves a lot of money, they also are, by default helping the environment and thinking outside the box to put in a new and different thing. Something that once was the hallmark of Disney. There is a very big picture that must be looked at and to inject the lack of maintenance scenario is just grasping at straws. The problem, if anything, maintenance related is that it requires a lot more cost then we can even imagine to do well, which it is doing very well.
I didn't say they buses were unreliable that part of my comment was in response to someone that claimed they were. You need to read what a post is responding to to fully understand the context of it.

thomas998

Oh, really? Let's see the numbers you crunched to reach that conclusion.
You only have to look at the systems to see where the problems will be. No need to crunch numbers if a system creates 2 inputs and only has one output and all are the same size you get a bottleneck. Pull you head out and think

thomas998

The gondolas are a way to get buses off the roads. They are not a way to improve reliability, they are a greener and more efficient transport system.
Please don't give me the greener argument unless you can prove it. Studies have already shown that the "green" electric cars are not green at all they simply hide the pollution in the smoke stacks of the power plant or in the toxic soup created from mining the lithium and other rare earth metals used to make the cars. No way to really know if the gondolas are cleaner than a bus. If they wanted clean for the buses why not go to CNG powered buses or electric powered buses.... because green isn't the goal of Disney.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Please don't give me the greener argument unless you can prove it. Studies have already shown that the "green" electric cars are not green at all they simply hide the pollution in the smoke stacks of the power plant or in the toxic soup created from mining the lithium and other rare earth metals used to make the cars. No way to really know if the gondolas are cleaner than a bus. If they wanted clean for the buses why not go to CNG powered buses or electric powered buses.... because green isn't the goal of Disney.

But green is a corporate strategy of Disney right now. If it was not we would not be seeing the investments in solar farms northwest of Epcot and the huge one out on the west side of the RCID property. If these gondolas are being powered by solar energy (I refuse to get into a circular debate on the definition of 'green' because too many just make up 'facts' to debunk the whole concept as invalid) they are certainly using renewable energy which is always a better thing than burning fossil fuels.

The bottom line of this whole thing is that they must reduce the number of vehicles on the roads around the WDW property. If they want to continue growing, they cannot keep expanding the roadway systems endlessly or the whole property will turn into LA.

I get that some folks here are only capable of negative thought when it comes to Disney but this system is a net positive for traffic, energy usage and transportation efficiency and as a result becomes a net positive to guests.

Storm

But green is a corporate strategy of Disney right now. If it was not we would not be seeing the investments in solar farms northwest of Epcot and the huge one out on the west side of the RCID property. If these gondolas are being powered by solar energy (I refuse to get into a circular debate on the definition of 'green' because too many just make up 'facts' to debunk the whole concept as invalid) they are certainly using renewable energy which is always a better thing than burning fossil fuels.

The bottom line of this whole thing is that they must reduce the number of vehicles on the roads around the WDW property. If they want to continue growing, they cannot keep expanding the roadway systems endlessly or the whole property will turn into LA.

I get that some folks here are only capable of negative thought when it comes to Disney but this system is a net positive for traffic, energy usage and transportation efficiency and as a result becomes a net positive to guests.
It could be a positive net to guests but the fact that quite a lot of people have a fear of heights is also true , obviously its not a majority of people but a certain small % of the population is in fact scared of heights which could lead to people taking detours/uber/Lyft to get around which would probably take them a longer time , i dont think it would be a net for these people (that includes me) but aslong as there are alternatives that are viable i dont see an issue with it personally , however if the waiting time for busses on these resorts went from 20 mins to an hour or two that would be a problem population wise. Plus AoA really needs additional transportation systems and so does POP , not a replacement but an additional one.

donsullivan

Premium Member
It could be a positive net to guests but the fact that quite a lot of people have a fear of heights is also true , obviously its not a majority of people but a certain small % of the population is in fact scared of heights which could lead to people taking detours/uber/Lyft to get around which would probably take them a longer time , i dont think it would be a net for these people (that includes me) but aslong as there are alternatives that are viable i dont see an issue with it personally , however if the waiting time for busses on these resorts went from 20 mins to an hour or two that would be a problem population wise. Plus AoA really needs additional transportation systems and so does POP , not a replacement but an additional one.

It is completely unreasonable to expect Disney to provide multiple transportation solutions so as not to trigger every single phobia a guest may have. Those are the types of demands that contribute to endless price increases.

As has been stated countless times here, the monorail goes higher than this gondola system does at it's highest point so a fear of heights isn't really a valid argument. If a guest doesn't want to ride it, it's certainly their choice but nobody should expect Disney to provide an 'alternative' just because a guest doesn't want to ride the gondola; that's ridiculous.

Last edited:

C&D

I'm thinking that there will be a net gain in moving people but there will be lines at some times. Also, I'm expecting that the gondolas will slow when loading or unloading some handicapped guests. I also suspect that the transportation will cease during weather events, that being, mostly lightning and probably very high winds (but these are just suppositions on my part).
20181213_121412.jpg

SirWillow

I think you and everyone else is jumping to conclusions about the shutdowns because of lightning. High winds might be a problem but lightning really isn't. The towers and the gondola's are grounded and even a direct hit on the highest point (the towers) would be loud, but, shouldn't harm anyone. At any rate all that has ever been mentioned is the speculation that they will shut them down. They might, I really don't know, but, I do know that I have never read anything that could be listed as actual operating fact. Lightning in central Florida is an almost daily happening in the summer, but, the storms usually go through fast and by the time they got buses there and people from the Gondola stations to the bus areas, the storm will have passed and the sun will be shining brightly. It's just the nature of storms in Florida. A hurricane is another story, but, if one of those is about to hit there will be nothing open to go too.

It's going to be interesting to see what they do, that's for sure. The old gondola system at MK would shut down for lighting within a 10 mile radius, as does the one at Busch Gardens. Even if the towers and gondola's are grounded, I don't think they gondola's themselves will be insulated like, say, a car is, so a hit on a car could be an "electrifying" experience for those inside, but it's hard to say for sure without knowing the specs on the cars.

You mention the wind, and it's not unusual for strong winds to come out of Florida thunderstorms. That would also be a concern.

I honestly expect them to err on the side of caution and shut down the system in the event of threatening weather, but it will be something I'm sure many will keep an eye on in the months after it opens to see how they handle weather and what they do. I am sure it's something they've considered and planned for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom