Wait Lines for New Gondolas

thomas998

But green is a corporate strategy of Disney right now. If it was not we would not be seeing the investments in solar farms northwest of Epcot and the huge one out on the west side of the RCID property. If these gondolas are being powered by solar energy (I refuse to get into a circular debate on the definition of 'green' because too many just make up 'facts' to debunk the whole concept as invalid) they are certainly using renewable energy which is always a better thing than burning fossil fuels.

The bottom line of this whole thing is that they must reduce the number of vehicles on the roads around the WDW property. If they want to continue growing, they cannot keep expanding the roadway systems endlessly or the whole property will turn into LA.

I get that some folks here are only capable of negative thought when it comes to Disney but this system is a net positive for traffic, energy usage and transportation efficiency and as a result becomes a net positive to guests.
Green is not a corporate strategy for Disney. Disney has one strategy and that is to maximize shareholder value. Now they may do the dog and pony show for being green but that is all just PR nonsense. If green was truly a goal for Disney there are thousands of things they could do to really be green, but they don't do those things instead they do "green" things that save them money, like not changing your towels every day, it saves them money... like not using plastic bags, it makes them money when guests now have to pay for a bag... If Disney wanted to be "green" why would they send me dozens of adverts in the mail every year when they could just email me the same adverts? Think of the trees killed, that isn't green... Look at the box and packaging they use to send you magic bands when you book a trip, do they need to waste that much paper and packaging? That isn't green. Do Disney pins need those cardboard packages? Disney is full of waste so don't start claiming they want to be green. The whole concept of an amusement park goes against being green.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Oh do have the statistics of how much electricity is used to run these gondolas? Does it really use less energy? Remember coal is one of the main sources to produce electricity.

Sure, Florida gets 67% of its energy from natural gas, only 16% from coal.

WDW's solar farm, when completed, will provide enough energy to power two of its parks.

So, no, the electricity running the gondolas isn't mostly coal. The power running the buses is 100% combustion of petroleum products, though.

You only have to look at the systems to see where the problems will be. No need to crunch numbers if a system creates 2 inputs and only has one output and all are the same size you get a bottleneck. Pull you head out and think

No need to crunch numbers? You just "feel" it? You're not really asking about this, are you? You just want to argue about it based on no facts at all. Which, of course, can't be argued with since there is no basis to determine facts and reality.

Go away and don't come back until you can justify your feelings.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
images(12).jpg

donsullivan

Premium Member
Green is not a corporate strategy for Disney. Disney has one strategy and that is to maximize shareholder value. Now they may do the dog and pony show for being green but that is all just PR nonsense. If green was truly a goal for Disney there are thousands of things they could do to really be green, but they don't do those things instead they do "green" things that save them money, like not changing your towels every day, it saves them money... like not using plastic bags, it makes them money when guests now have to pay for a bag... If Disney wanted to be "green" why would they send me dozens of adverts in the mail every year when they could just email me the same adverts? Think of the trees killed, that isn't green... Look at the box and packaging they use to send you magic bands when you book a trip, do they need to waste that much paper and packaging? That isn't green. Do Disney pins need those cardboard packages? Disney is full of waste so don't start claiming they want to be green. The whole concept of an amusement park goes against being green.

So according to your guidelines, if they do not act on 100% of the the opportunities they should just do nothing? That’s kind of a ridiculous way to look at it. Are there more things that ‘could’ be done? Of course but when they do, all they get are complaints like ‘the AC isn’t cold enough’ or ‘I can’t believe they are taking straws away!’ I take a more reasonable and less absolutist view that they should get credit for what they are doing instead of obsessing about what they aren’t doing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm thinking that there will be a net gain in moving people but there will be lines at some times. Also, I'm expecting that the gondolas will slow when loading or unloading some handicapped guests. I also suspect that the transportation will cease during weather events, that being, mostly lightning and probably very high winds (but these are just suppositions on my part). View attachment 336786

All the stations, except Riviera, have a special loading area for handicapped guests so there will be no need to slow or stop the main line.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I don't know how many CM's that Disney is planning on using for the Gondola's, But, they have buses running to the resorts about every 20 minutes, very seldom is it the same bus or driver. There are at least 1000 drivers on the payroll. (That is a the number quoted to me when I was looking into applying for a driver position over 10 years ago.) Factor in the number of maintenance people required to keep that fleet running, the cost of fuel for 20 ton vehicles, the cost of changing the oil (about 25 gals. per bus), Tires? At least 6 per vehicle at $300. apiece. Constant daily requirements, touch up, probably daily washing. Cleaning crews to keep the interiors clean, brake replacement, the cost of parts replacement, the size of the garage/maintenance facility itself. And you can put a whole lot of CM's at those five stations on the Gondola line. A bus comes with a whole lot of expense that none of us even think about, but, trust me... it's there and it is enormous.

I don't have the numbers to prove it, but I would agree with you that operating the gondola probably will cost much less then operating buses that would provide equivalent capacity. Also, when it comes to operation, driving a bus is a somewhat specialized skill, whereas they can train anyone to be a gondola station CM in a couple days.

Cosmic Commando

The gondolas won't have more throughput because they're always moving, but I think the thing that will make the difference dealing with peak crowds is that they'll always be at that high capacity. I think people have said the gondolas will equal a bus every 2.5 minutes? The bus system might do that at park closing when you factor in the number of hotels being served, but the gondolas will do that in the shoulder times, as well. As crowds trickle out and build to that peak, the gondolas will be marching along at their peak capacity. The buses would still be ramping up. The crowds might still build, but the gondolas will hold off that line buildup for longer.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So according to your guidelines, if they do not act on 100% of the the opportunities they should just do nothing? That’s kind of a ridiculous way to look at it. Are there more things that ‘could’ be done? Of course but when they do, all they get are complaints like ‘the AC isn’t cold enough’ or ‘I can’t believe they are taking straws away!’ I take a more reasonable and less absolutist view that they should get credit for what they are doing instead of obsessing about what they aren’t doing.

Recognise that Disney acts as a business, not an altruistic being. Sometimes it's more economically advantageous to act in "green" ways such as having onsite sewage digesters that produce biogases that can be burned. They're going to have sewage anyway unless they dont sell food and produce a mandatory Mickey headed cork for each guest.

thomas998

WDW's solar farm, when completed, will provide enough energy to power two of its parks.

So, no, the electricity running the gondolas isn't mostly coal. The power running the buses is 100% combustion of petroleum products, though.

No need to crunch numbers? You just "feel" it? You're not really asking about this, are you? You just want to argue about it based on no facts at all. Which, of course, can't be argued with since there is no basis to determine facts and reality.

Go away and don't come back until you can justify your feelings.

If you haven't even bothered to look at the system Disney presented to the media then you have no clue what you are talking about. Which is really what you've proven time after time. As for your electricity, last I heard natural gas was a fossil fuel and created CO2 like every other fossil fuel, not sure why you are babbling about petroleum products since buses don't always use diesel from crude oil, some of it comes from plants or other non-crude oil based sources... but then when did reality ever get in your way?

Goofyernmost

The buses are a problem because Disney doesn't have enough running. As for lowering the costs, that's a guess at best. How many cast members will it take to man each entry and exit point, how many specialized mechanics will it take to keep the system running.... I have no clue but I suspect there will be a lot of people working behind the scenes that you or I could imagine. While in theory a continuous people mover may seem better the fact is we don't know nor does Disney know the answer to that until the system gets put in operation. If buses have become too unreliable the it really speaks to the maintenance program Disney is using. I've seen school that operate huge buses systems on a daily basis in a very reliable manner, but then those school transportation systems make reliability a priority, I don't think Disney has made reliability as much of a priority as they have keeping costs down when it comes to transportation but that doesn't mean their bus system could be reliable it just means that Disney doesn't care enough about the system to properly fund it.
I didn't say they buses were unreliable that part of my comment was in response to someone that claimed they were. You need to read what a post is responding to to fully understand the context of it.
I'm sorry, but, I think you need to read what I was responding too. Your own words! I don't think they can be any clearer. Now if you were talking about contradicting what someone else said, then in order for me or anyone to know that was what you were saying, it would be good if you make yourself just a little clearer. I don't see anywhere in that statement you made where you were denying any accusation about poor maintenance. Just the opposite in fact. You even went on to justify and directly say that other places are able to maintain properly and Disney should be able to as well. That is why I stated what I stated. I was replying to what you said, not what someone said before you that you apparently agreed with.

graphite1326

Natural gas is still a fossil fuel. If solar was really such a great alternate power source everyone would have those panels on their roof. It isn't and in fact manufacturing and maintaining them is actually bad for the environment. https://news.nationalgeographic.com...r-panel-manufacturing-sustainability-ranking/

graphite1326

Doesn't say what? I merely posted a link to the drive system being used.
Your original quote. "One electric drive motor per line and its associated water cooling is greener than the total energy use of all of the buses currently running on those same routes." Your link was just a web site/advertisement pushing the drive system. It never states anything about being greener than the use of all those buses. That is your opinion.

NormC

Your original quote. "One electric drive motor per line and its associated water cooling is greener than the total energy use of all of the buses currently running on those same routes." Your link was just a web site/advertisement pushing the drive system. It never states anything about being greener than the use of all those buses. That is your opinion.
In my educated opinion dozens of buses use far more energy than the drive systems of the gondola. Is that better? The link was just a link to the drive system being used. It was informational. You are welcome to draw whatever conclusion you would like but I would bet that I am correct.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Natural gas is still a fossil fuel. If solar was really such a great alternate power source everyone would have those panels on their roof. It isn't and in fact manufacturing and maintaining them is actually bad for the environment. https://news.nationalgeographic.com...r-panel-manufacturing-sustainability-ranking/

Hey, remember when you said this: "Remember coal is one of the main sources to produce electricity."

My post was to show you that burning coal isn't what's running the show, like you presumed.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
If you haven't even bothered to look at the system Disney presented to the media then you have no clue what you are talking about. Which is really what you've proven time after time. As for your electricity, last I heard natural gas was a fossil fuel and created CO2 like every other fossil fuel, not sure why you are babbling about petroleum products since buses don't always use diesel from crude oil, some of it comes from plants or other non-crude oil based sources... but then when did reality ever get in your way?

I was responding to a post that intimated most of the energy is from coal, which it demonstrably isn't.

Learn2context.

thomas998

As a shareholder I just want them to make money. Frankly they damage their image when they make ridiculous we're green claims because it then leads the environmental wack jobs to start pushing them to do things that are green but also reduce the profits. I don't begrudge them trying to cut laundry costs by not changing towels but don't lie about it being because of some grand scheme to be green. It isn't and if they could make more money by using the skins of bab
I'm sorry, but, I think you need to read what I was responding too. Your own words! I don't think they can be any clearer. Now if you were talking about contradicting what someone else said, then in order for me or anyone to know that was what you were saying, it would be good if you make yourself just a little clearer. I don't see anywhere in that statement you made where you were denying any accusation about poor maintenance. Just the opposite in fact. You even went on to justify and directly say that other places are able to maintain properly and Disney should be able to as well. That is why I stated what I stated. I was replying to what you said, not what someone said before you that you apparently agreed with.
When I am responding to someone's comment, the comment is quoted if you can't bother to read quoted comment in a post then maybe you shouldn't bother responding at all because clearly you are skipping a large part of a conversation. You're inability to simply read the entire comment including the post makes as much sense as watching a debate and ignoring one everything one of the debaters says.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom