News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

D.Silentu

My lighthearted attempt at lampooning overattention to detail. Watching the movie Chinatown, you mustn't dwell upon the fact that Jake sails all the way to Catalina for a lunch meeting, takes three bites, then leaves. The film is still one of the greats, and that small inconsistency doesn't make it any less so. The fact that we enter the mansion through a side room shouldn't really have any impact on the fact that the ride is among the best.

Last edited:

VJ

My lighthearted attempt at lampooning overattention to detail. Watching the movie Chinatown, you mustn't dwell upon the fact that Jake sails all the way to Catalina for a lunch meeting, takes three bites, then leaves. The film is still one of the greats, and that small inconsistency doesn't make it any less so. The fact that we enter the mansion through a side room shouldn't really have any impact on the fact that the ride is among the best.
Then why does it matter how you enter the Millennium Falcon attraction?

(I know you're not the one who brought the topic up, but this is the point I was trying to make)

SuddenStorm

(I know you're not the one who brought the topic up, but this is the point I was trying to make)

In the case of the Haunted Mansion, even if you don't go through the front door, you're still entering the physical building. Sure, it isn't hard to figure out that the attraction doesn't take place inside that specific building, but that's not the point.

In the case of the Falcon, if you don't enter the Falcon that's parked out front- but instead enter into a different door, that'd be like entering the Haunted Mansion through this door:

1543735829437.png

Sure, it'd still be an excellent attraction- but entering a building that looks the part is essential to setting the story.

And if you don't enter the giant Falcon Disney parked out front, but instead take a different entrance inside a showbuilding, Disney's gonna have a hell of a time creating and explanation that makes sense as to why the Falcon you just saw parked out front is now in a different setting.

Old Mouseketeer

Bottom line: either the attraction has a sufficient level of illusion to suspend disbelief or it does not. Remember, part of the effect is disorienting you so that you can't maintain a linear awareness of your path of travel. Pirates takes you in a circle as you descend the waterfalls. Indy zigs and zags and overlaps in ways that defy description, even after you look at a blueprint. The Doombuggies on Mansion reorient you so that you would never conceive that behind the ballroom is the endless hallway. The first time I rode Adventure Through Inner Space I completely missed the side-slip move after entering the base of the Mighty Microscope--it was a remarkable slight of hand.

I expect that the queue for Falcon will take you through multiple corridors and levels of the spaceport before you enter the Falcon through the docking ring. From what we have seen and heard described I'm willing to bet that it will be very convincing. YMMV.

Old Mouseketeer

In the case of the Haunted Mansion, even if you don't go through the front door, you're still entering the physical building. Sure, it isn't hard to figure out that the attraction doesn't take place inside that specific building, but that's not the point.

In the case of the Falcon, if you don't enter the Falcon that's parked out front- but instead enter into a different door, that'd be like entering the Haunted Mansion through this door:

View attachment 329863

Sure, it'd still be an excellent attraction- but entering a building that looks the part is essential to setting the story.

And if you don't enter the giant Falcon Disney parked out front, but instead take a different entrance inside a showbuilding, Disney's gonna have a hell of a time creating and explanation that makes sense as to why the Falcon you just saw parked out front is now in a different setting.

Well, in Florida that's not far off the mark. Just sayin'.

bshah365

Just brainstorming for fun:
It would be cool if the falcon outside was resting on a round platform that clearly has groves around the edges to indicate that its on a lift that can move. The queue would simulate that you're underground... you enter a room that has ADA compliant ramps/entrances that align with the currently non existing falcon... a new falcon could descend down from the ceiling, making the audience believe its that one that we saw outside... The floor patterns on the ground would be painted and marked the same way etc. This falcon would align with the new ramps etc. which allows access to any type of guest.. this flacon could be the lobby of the other 4 falcon interiors that are built.. the hallway entrances are disguised and open once the falcon has completely landed and can align its interiors with the hallways in the show building.. At this point, it becomes like Mickey's house where guests enter through a lobby (the falcon) and are guided through one of four doors (paths)...

Not sure if I made complete sense but that's probably what I would come up with to help with the issues that are being discussed..

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

110% MY

View attachment 329863

110% MY POINT

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Just brainstorming for fun:
It would be cool if the falcon outside was resting on a round platform that clearly has groves around the edges to indicate that its on a lift that can move. The queue would simulate that you're underground... you enter a room that has ADA compliant ramps/entrances that align with the currently non existing falcon... a new falcon could descend down from the ceiling, making the audience believe its that one that we saw outside... The floor patterns on the ground would be painted and marked the same way etc. This falcon would align with the new ramps etc. which allows access to any type of guest.. this flacon could be the lobby of the other 4 falcon interiors that are built.. the hallway entrances are disguised and open once the falcon has completely landed and can align its interiors with the hallways in the show building.. At this point, it becomes like Mickey's house where guests enter through a lobby (the falcon) and are guided through one of four doors (paths)...

Not sure if I made complete sense but that's probably what I would come up with to help with the issues that are being discussed..
I perfectly understand and it is more creative and immersive than what Imagineering has shown us so for.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I perfectly understand and it is more creative and immersive than what Imagineering has shown us so for.

In all fairness WDI hasn't shown anything in regards to how things will be done. In fact all you've seen are some satellite photos which aren't even officially from Disney and some preview videos which don't tell you anything about how things are done. Disney isn't going to show anything until the land is open.

You're continuing to put the cart before the horse. But like I said before, you do you. :)

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

In all fairness WDI hasn't shown anything in regards to how things will be done. In fact all you've seen are some satellite photos which aren't even officially from Disney and some preview videos which don't tell you anything about how things are done. Disney isn't going to show anything until the land is open.

You're continuing to put the cart before the horse. But like I said before, you do you. :)
and like I said before, it is always going to bug me to some degree. and I said "so far" in my response because I know we don't know much about the que at this time, but her idea sounds better than what we probably will end up with.

SukaVayne33

https://blooloop.com/features/cost-of-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

Found this online and it was a pretty interesting read.. In it states specific square footage each section of land will be plus the cost of each area! Damn things are expensive!
Yeah I am way behind trying to catch up and just posted same thing, and said if someone posted it take it down. But after reading that, I hope it's gonna be an amazing place. I Love Star Wars & cant wait for this. Glad to see you posted this, because like you said it is an interesting read.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
and like I said before, it is always going to bug me to some degree. and I said "so far" in my response because I know we don't know much about the que at this time, but her idea sounds better than what we probably will end up with.

At this point I just find it so funny that you are so sure its gonna bug, that I really believe that no matter what they come up with it'll never satisfy you. Basically even if they did allow you to walk directly into the life size model you've willed yourself into the whole setup bugging you, that you'll find something that will bug you about it even if you get exactly what you wanted. I'm just poking a little fun of course because its not that serious. :p Anyways, again you do you boo boo.... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom