News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

At this point I just find it so funny that you are so sure its gonna bug, that I really believe that no matter what they come up with it'll never satisfy you. Basically even if they did allow you to walk directly into the life size model you've willed yourself into the whole setup bugging you, that you'll find something that will bug you about it even if you get exactly what you wanted. I'm just poking a little fun of course because its not that serious. :p Anyways, again you do you boo boo.... ;)
Not true. My POINT THIS WHOLE TIME has been they should have designed it so we do get to walk on the Falcon out front. If they had done that, no complaints from me. I would be satisfied. Completley. But that is not what we are getting so it is always going to bother me even if i end up loving the ride itself.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not true. My POINT THIS WHOLE TIME has been they should have designed it so we do get to walk on the Falcon out front. If they had done that, no complaints from me. I would be satisfied. Completley. But that is not what we are getting so it is always going to bother me even if i end up loving the ride itself.

I’m messing with you dude, chill... :) It’s not a serious thing. If it bothers you it bothers you. I still don’t see why it has to, but that is why I’ve said now a couple times, you do you.

SukaVayne33

A gigantic warehouse is just that, your average guest won't think very far into it. Exposed steel beams holding up rock work tell you it's all fake before you even get into the park.
Same with Volcano Bay. You can see the back of it and see the supports of it. But, also there is no volcanos in Orlando. I wonder how many tourist ask if its real. Would be nice if they were fully covered, but wonder if it is not fully being covered for maintenance issues, probably not but I agree I would like it fully themed out

PB Watermelon

Last trip to Disneyland...mother in law in tow. I sneak off and ask a cast member which entrance to Cars Land we should take, to surprise my mother-in-law. CM says not the main entrance, but the one from the side, not too far away from the pier area.

So get this...this is a true story...we take that side entrance and bam -- there's Radiator Springs Racers, with that massive rock facade. I've got this on video -- my mother-in-law is having a hard time processing what she's seeing.

"I didn't know they had hills like this in Los Angeles."
"They don't. That's Disney. They built that."
(more confusion)
"How did they move all these rocks from the desert?"
(I'm smiling now)
"They didn't. That's all fake."
(stunned mystified Close Encounters of the Third Kind-level staring at the impossible)

1200px-Radiator_Springs_Racers_at_Cars_Land.jpg

Professortango1

Why would be board the Falcon? We have no need at that point to board it. Our need emerges in the queue. That'd be like Back to the Future the Ride having you board the Delorean at the start of the queue and have us be traveling through time before the Doc lets us know Biff has stolen another car and we need to bump him. We are not getting in line to ride the Falcon. We are doing something else there and then the need to board the Falcon arises, just as the need to board the Delorean arises.

Professortango1

In the case of the Haunted Mansion, even if you don't go through the front door, you're still entering the physical building. Sure, it isn't hard to figure out that the attraction doesn't take place inside that specific building, but that's not the point.

In the case of the Falcon, if you don't enter the Falcon that's parked out front- but instead enter into a different door, that'd be like entering the Haunted Mansion through this door:

View attachment 329863

Sure, it'd still be an excellent attraction- but entering a building that looks the part is essential to setting the story.

And if you don't enter the giant Falcon Disney parked out front, but instead take a different entrance inside a showbuilding, Disney's gonna have a hell of a time creating and explanation that makes sense as to why the Falcon you just saw parked out front is now in a different setting.

If we entered through that door and the queue then explored the underground crypts before discovering a passage which lead us up and into the house itself, then it would make perfect sense. The house is boarded up and we can't get inside but we find a secret way in through the old crypts out back.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

If we entered through that door and the queue then explored the underground crypts before discovering a passage which lead us up and into the house itself, then it would make perfect sense. The house is boarded up and we can't get inside but we find a secret way in through the old crypts out back.
No it would not. And that goes against what Walt wanted having the mansion be borded up. It Means we would miss out on the stretching room. There is a thing called art through diversity. "Oh no how do we get the riders past the berm?? I know let's use an elevator but let's theme it to the ride and make it part of the story!".

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Why would be board the Falcon? We have no need at that point to board it. Our need emerges in the queue. That'd be like Back to the Future the Ride having you board the Delorean at the start of the queue and have us be traveling through time before the Doc lets us know Biff has stolen another car and we need to bump him. We are not getting in line to ride the Falcon. We are doing something else there and then the need to board the Falcon arises, just as the need to board the Delorean arises.
You are missing the point. They could change the story so it fits you going on the falcon. For example, place the falcon in the show building so in the end you walk into the physical falcon after the preshow and it leads to you boarding one of the cockpitts. They are called imagineers. Pretty sure they could use their imagination to make something like that possible. Again the walking on the physical falcon is my hang up and a minor nitpick but i know i will not be the only one, once the land opens

sedati

They HAVE showed us that we won't walk on the full scale falcon they built out front.
Look at how they did the Nautilus in Paris. The full sized set-piece is there to sell the illusion later. The sets don'y actually fit into the 1:1 prop. By tricking you and actually leading you into a showbuilding you get to have show elements like a squid attack or a Falcon that actually flies,

Incomudro

They HAVE showed us that we won't walk on the full scale falcon they built out front.

Sigh...
But they haven't shown us how they plan on creating the illusion.
You know how when you board a jet, you rarely walk onto your jet from the tarmac?
Your jet is out there, but in effect you pass it by and board it from another method.
So...
We are going to see the Falcon, work our way behind it and into the building - and likely sneak onto it.
We won't be stepping onto the prop that's outside, but we are essentially going to believe that we are.

Professortango1

No it would not. And that goes against what Walt wanted having the mansion be borded up. It keans we would miss out on the stretching room. There is a thing called art through diversity. "Oh no how do we get the riders past the berm?? I know let's use aj elevator but let's theme it to the ride and make it part of the story!".

It would still make perfect sense. You could argue that it wouldn't work as well as what we have now, but that doesn't change the fact that entering the Mansion from a crypt door could work just as effectively.

As for what Walt wanted...he was making a theme park over 60 years ago. The industry and the public have changed and we can't keep looking back to Walt's quotes from 1960 to satisfy modern theme park guests.

Professortango1

You are missing the point. They could change the story so it fits you going on the falcon. For example, place the falcon in the show building so in the end you walk into the physical falcon after the preshow and it leads to you boarding one of the cockpitts. They are called imagineers. Pretty sure they could use their imagination to make something like that possible. Again the walking on the physical falcon is my hang up and a minor nitpick but i know i will not be the only one, once the land opens

But the speculation is that the Falcon WILL be in the show building as well so that we end our queue by walking into the physical Falcon. They are called Imagineers. I'm pretty sure they used their imagination and engineering to come up with the best possible layout for storytelling and crowd management.

Incomudro

Look at how they did the Nautilus in Paris. The full sized set-piece is there to sell the illusion later. The sets don'y actually fit into the 1:1 prop. By tricking you and actually leading you into a showbuilding you get to have show elements like a squid attack or a Falcon that actually flies,

:jawdrop: I just watched a video of the Nautilus in Paris.
I didn't know that there was more to the display than the exterior prop.
When I was a kid from say 6th grade through part of high school - I fantasized about being a Captain Nemo on my own sub.
Man, I would spend a couple of days and nights living in that Paris display if they would let me.

BrianLo

Original Poster

This is a great comparator, good on you for thinking of it!

Ismael Flores

someone mentioned Indy inbetween the whole debate about the SWGE ride queue and prop.
something stupid popped in my mind about the layout of Indy.

in the queue we are made to believe that Indy and friends discovered this temple and we have to go through these narrow corridors with traps and bat caves until we arrive the heart of the temple.
Do they ever explain how they got a fleet of giant jeeps inside the temple through those narrow hallways and caves?
maybe it made more sense with the original design of the ride before it was change for budget reasons.

the origial design had people either walk a trail along the river or take a jungle cruise boat to a second dock. guests would then be able to wonder around a secluded archileogical site where you could board the jeep that would take you into the temple. elderly guests or guests not tall enough to ride the jeep could stay on the jungle boat and go thru part of the temple and finish the trip around the jungles river.

Last edited:

NateD1226

someone mentioned Indy inbetween the whole debate about the SWGE ride queue and prop.
something stupid popped in my mind about the layout of Indy.

in the queue we are made to believe that Indy and friends discovered this temple and we have to go through these narrow corridors with traps and bat caves until we arrive the heart of the temple.
Do they ever explain how they got a fleet of giant jeeps inside the temple through those narrow hallways and caves?
maybe it made more sense with the original design if the ride before it was change for budget reasons.

the origial design had people either walk a trail along the river or take a jungle cruise boat to a second dock. guests would then be able to wonder around a secluded archileogical site where you could board the jeep that would take you into the temple. elderly guests or guests not tall enough to ride the jeep could stay on the jungle boat and go thru part of the temple and finish the trip around the jungles river.
I have never noticed this!! I'm going to have to check this out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom