News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

DisneyGigi

Labor Day ish time was always slow because school start, but there may be many factors at play..
Yeah the economy is booming, but not as much to allow people to swallow a lot of price increases..

Also as crowds increased over the past several years, so did the hassle. Added security checks have increased the annoyance factor, by the time you fight your way into the parking lot, get on the tram, then choose boat/MR, then security, then get thru gate, wow you are almost spent or at least frustrated. (hopefully you have a ticket and don't kneed to rent a stroller)

LOL, now you ready for a CM to ask you about a brief survey..
Last year and 2015, were not this slow. This reminded me of 2007 and 2008, 2014 Labor Day crowds. It was amazing! We only used fast pass for newer rides. Everything else was walk on, except for this past Saturday and Sunday, and other than Slinky, Test Track, And FoP, it still wasn’t that bad. We rode things over and over. Amazing time, if parking has ticked this many people off, or they are waiting for Star Wars.. I love it. Going back in late November or December and in May. No way you could pay me to go when Star Wars opens. I will wait awhile. 😬

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Interesting.
I am here at WDW now, and have been for a few days.
Crowds here seem to be a mixed bag right now, but my impression over the last few days is that there seem to be more people here now then what I have experienced other September visits.

Might be because of the Food n' Wine Festival.....or the 'free dining' offer going on during this time block.
Whatever it is, it's not as slow as I remember.
Seems WDW is doing just fine right now...so that is interesting news to hear.

Tony the Tigger

Interesting.
I am here at WDW now, and have been for a few days.
Crowds here seem to be a mixed bag right now, but my impression over the last few days is that there seem to be more people here now then what I have experienced other September visits.

Might be because of the Food n' Wine Festival.....or the 'free dining' offer going on during this time block.
Whatever it is, it's not as slow as I remember.
Seems WDW is doing just fine right now...so that is interesting news to hear.

How long ago were your previous September visits?

artvandelay

Yeah, I would.

The timeframe I heard for this switch was mid-September to mid-October. I haven't heard anything about anything happening this week though.

The other two aspects of this change are:
  1. The ticket vendors have significant IT changes to make to offer seasonal tickets
  2. Apparently it's a complicated process for customers to actually order tickets (I've heard ~9 steps)
Great, let’s make going to WDW more complicated!😀

Tick Tock

Yes. There is always overreaction for a couple of years after a big hurricane; just as there is underreaction after a few quiet seasons.
Considering this is what's going on at this moment, I don't think any predictions that this year would be a very active hurricane season came across as an overreaction. Florida's just been extremely lucky so far to have stayed outta the line of fire.
hrcns1.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wouldn't the better move be to fully staff and operate the parks. If attendance is soft, great, all the guests get a wonderful experience, making them more likely to return. Doesn't that seem like the better long term strategery?

Well that's the problem.... managing margins month to month and quarter to quarter are not long range plans. The street doesn't want to hear happy guests... they want you to match or beat projections.

Tony the Tigger

Considering this is what's going on at this moment, I don't think any predictions that this year would be a very active hurricane season came across as an overreaction. Florida's just been extremely lucky so far to have stayed outta the line of fire.
View attachment 312183

That’s happenstance. If there were zero named hurricanes this year, people would still be reacting to last year. Plans didn’t get made for September 2018 in August, and locals don’t stay home when there is no hurricane; we tiptoe around them every year.

eddie104

View attachment 312183
Yes we have been very lucky but I also find the panic and overreaction to a normal season every year annoying. People act like we have never experienced storms before or its something new. Disney probably accounts for this when this time of the year approaches and probably goes worst case scenario.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They panic like they're going to have to shut down tomorrow because of "soft attendance". Sorry Disney, you can't have it jamming all the time no matter how hard you try. Are the Halloween parties in August not enough? ;)
Maybe, just maybe, enough people are finally so fed up with price increases, service decreases, parking fees, getting thrown out of the park early for special events, and so on that it is having an impact on attendance. Disney may have finally found where the tipping point is....

Not to put too fine a point on it...but I think these parties and after hour and pre park opening events do have something to do with it.

Let's say I have a chance to visit WDW in November. Let's say that's really my only shot to get down there, I have kids in school, whatever. So I look, Nov 7-12. That works for my schedule. Let's see how the park hours are looking....

MK closes at 6pm 3 of those 5 days for special events that cost even more money! That's a pretty big turnoff. Plus I remember how packed the parks felt on my last trip. Hmm, maybe WDW isn't a great value right now. Let's pass.

I know the Disney Centric blogs out there, you know who you are, try and sell the public that these parties are some great thing WDW offers. I think the reality is, the parties have become a net negative. When you spend a fortune on a Disney Vacation, and a fortune on park tickets, you don't want to get booted from the best park before the sun goes down everyday.

Now, if only the rubes guests, would pick up on this and stop buying these over-priced party tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom