1902 Carthay Circle

BlakeW39

If we're talking DAK/DisneySea Hybrid, I definitely think the mythology/culture route is perfect, but as I have studied Chinese culture extensively in a Chinese history and culture class, I have learned that Chinese (and Hong Kong by extension) culture love visiting zoos and aquariums. Incorporating live animals I think would definitely be an important aspect to look into as Hong Kong's biggest rival (Ocean Park) often does even better than HKDL in ticket sales. Whether it be dolphins or pandas, any sort of live animal incorporation would really draw in the Chinese markets especially.

Live animals always do make a park special. People generally like to view animald and catxh a glimpse of what is closest to true nature that can be experienced by them - so wildlife is a good choice. If it was decided upon that it should br included - it could be very interesting. Adding native wildlife to each land further represents that particulat region and biodiversity can help with thematic environment - this biodiversity is one of many reasons why Disney's Animal Kingdom so successful at this immersion.

I think that maybe the sea could be an integral part of the park that flows through it, as to symbolize not only the distance between lands but also the real world application of continents divided by the sea :)

Last edited:

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
How about we do what EPCOT did and have 2 halves to the park, 1 half is mythology/folklore, and the other has a "Sea" theme.
So in a way, our Future World could be maybe not only focused on the Sea but in Nature as @MonorailRed proposed, and then our World Showcase in Myths around the world, which would include animals from each continent? Maybe we could even include Figment and/or Space somewhere?

DisneyFan18

Original Poster
Day 1 - Recap

First off, I would like to start by saying thank you to all who have accepted our offer to join this project, it looks like there will be a great big beautiful tomorrow!

enhance

@D Hindley shared this image that represents the expansion area we have to work on, additionally he mentioned that we could extend the Pier area, and create a new type of Disney Springs.

Another important point to consider as we follow, is that @PerGronStudio mentioned that the Chinese audience is very interested in Zoos, therefore the inclusion of animals around the park would be highly advisable, in order to draw bigger crowds than HKDL’s major rival, Ocean Park.

Then, it was pointed out by @D Hindley and @FireMountain that the inclusion of indoor areas and shaded spaces would help fue to the climate of Hong Kong, nevertheless it should be taken in account that it should be balanced as the park has is surrounded by nature’s beauty.

As for the park concepts, one of the most popular ones is the use of Mythology around the world and times as part of the main theme, with seven land themed to different continents. It has even mentioned that we could use Epcot’s layout, so the park is divided in two areas, one centered around the previously mentioned Myths, and the other around Sea/Nature. The intention overall is for the park to feel like a mix of Animal Kingdom/DisneySea in detail and storytelling.

Some of the lands that some of you are interested in working on include, a Norse Mythology Based one, a British Folklore based area, a Spanish/Latin American Land anchored by Pirates, Atlantis: The Lost Continent (potentially including the Muppets), an Asian Themed Land that would heavily focus on Chinese Culture. Some other ideas include a Nemo themed area, a Polynesian one anchored by Moana, Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt, Doctor Strange, and Wakanda!

spacemt354

Chili's
Day 1 - Recap

First off, I would like to start by saying thank you to all who have accepted our offer to join this project, it looks like there will be a great big beautiful tomorrow!

enhance

@D Hindley shared this image that represents the expansion area we have to work on, additionally he mentioned that we could extend the Pier area, and create a new type of Disney Springs.

Another important point to consider as we follow, is that @PerGronStudio mentioned that the Chinese audience is very interested in Zoos, therefore the inclusion of animals around the park would be highly advisable, in order to draw bigger crowds than HKDL’s major rival, Ocean Park.

Then, it was pointed out by @D Hindley and @FireMountain that the inclusion of indoor areas and shaded spaces would help fue to the climate of Hong Kong, nevertheless it should be taken in account that it should be balanced as the park has is surrounded by nature’s beauty.

As for the park concepts, one of the most popular ones is the use of Mythology around the world and times as part of the main theme, with seven land themed to different continents. It has even mentioned that we could use Epcot’s layout, so the park is divided in two areas, one centered around the previously mentioned Myths, and the other around Sea/Nature. The intention overall is for the park to feel like a mix of Animal Kingdom/DisneySea in detail and storytelling.

Some of the lands that some of you are interested in working on include, a Norse Mythology Based one, a British Folklore based area, a Spanish/Latin American Land anchored by Pirates, Atlantis: The Lost Continent (potentially including the Muppets), an Asian Themed Land that would heavily focus on Chinese Culture. Some other ideas include a Nemo themed area, a Polynesian one anchored by Moana, Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt, Doctor Strange, and Wakanda!
Just tagging some folks so they can catch up if they'd like to chime in!
@ChampDisney
@Imagineer Sroo

spacemt354

Chili's
Day 1 - Recap

enhance

Just tagging some folks so they can catch up if they'd like to chime in!
@Evilgidgit
@MickeyMousketeer
@nated1226

DisneyManOne

First of all, I propose that we do something with that view of the ocean! Maybe a luxury hotel built into the park or a restaurant or something?

EDIT: If the park is gonna be themed around mythology and folklore, about we also do a land based around American folklore? Set in the rustic American forests, we could do rides themed around famous tall-tales. Plus, we could also utilize @spacemt354's Bambi dark ride concept, as well as my own "Rivers of Nature" concept!

Evilgidgit

First of all, I propose that we do something with that view of the ocean! Maybe a luxury hotel built into the park or a restaurant or something?

EDIT: If the park is gonna be themed around mythology and folklore, about we also do a land based around American folklore? Set in the rustic American forests, we could do rides themed around famous tall-tales. Plus, we could also utilize @spacemt354's Bambi dark ride concept, as well as my own "Rivers of Nature" concept!

The seaside side of the part should be overlooking the view of the sea. Hey, I'm a poet!

The seven continents concept could allow for several mythologies to be used in one place.
-Europe - British literature, Greek myths, Norse myths.
-Asia - Chinese/Japanese myths.
-Africa - Egyptian, Wakanda.
-North America - American folklore, Doctor Strange (?)
-South America - Aztec myths.
-Australia - Nemo (?)
-Antarctica - Atlantis (though if we were using Atlantis: The Lost Empire, that is in Iceland).

BlakeW39

If we're doing continents during different time frames while incorporating live animals and potentially indoor lands, then I actually have few cool ideas. I've been to the Detroit Zoo and there, their penguin exhibit is a sort of indoor Antarctica themed area. So an idea would be to have an indoor land themed to when we first discovered Antarctica, ans it could be a great way to fit in some penguins and possibly aquatic species that live near the south pole, as well as air conditioning :)

Last edited:

BlakeW39

I think it could be cool to have some some Native American culture and myths, those can be very interesting :)

PerGron

The seaside side of the part should be overlooking the view of the sea. Hey, I'm a poet!

The seven continents concept could allow for several mythologies to be used in one place.
-Europe - British literature, Greek myths, Norse myths.
-Asia - Chinese/Japanese myths.
-Africa - Egyptian, Wakanda.
-North America - American folklore, Doctor Strange (?)
-South America - Aztec myths.
-Australia - Nemo (?)
-Antarctica - Atlantis (though if we were using Atlantis: The Lost Empire, that is in Iceland).

I was thinking, if we added some sort of “generic” Africa (think AK’s) we could easily use some of the native African folk tales and folklore such as Anansi the spider (super popular kid’s character) as well as incorporate some sort of Kilimanjaro safaris attraction into the area.

As for North America, I agree we should tap into Native American folklore as it’s rich, diverse, and for whatever reason, Chinese culture loves it.

BlakeW39

I was thinking, if we added some sort of “generic” Africa (think AK’s) we could easily use some of the native African folk tales and folklore such as Anansi the spider (super popular kid’s character) as well as incorporate some sort of Kilimanjaro safaris attraction into the area.

As for North America, I agree we should tap into Native American folklore as it’s rich, diverse, and for whatever reason, Chinese culture loves it.

Exactly what I was thinking. East Africa is rich in culture and wildlife - and it is fantastic at DAK. Native American culture is also interesting, plus then we can have a ride with mammoths lol!

FireMountain

@MickeyMousketeer is planning a Pocahontas themed log flume for his dream resort, maybe that could make it's way over to this parl.

And as for the "Sea" theme, how about that modern, hipster seaside land I mentioned a while ago. It could have an ice cream shop, a coffee shop, a clothing/toy shop, a venue for small bands, and a boardwalk with a Ferris Wheel and a clone of Toy Story Mania.

D Hulk

I’m loving this idea to incorporate live animals into the park. It add to the thematic richness, plus it’s responsive to our Asian guests’ interests. A few questions on how we’ll implement this:

What sort of infrastructural/backstage elements do we need to create for the animals? I assume a large care facility like at Planet Watch, maybe in the land east of guest parking. What else is needed? (Full disclosure: never been to DAK.)

enhance

And how do we want to distinguish ourselves from competition like Ocean Park and Chimelong Ocean Kingdom? (The latter in Mainland China opened in 2014 and is the world’s 11th most visited already!) How do we improve on those parks’ animal displays?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom