A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

brb1006

The shorts may be trying to make him less of a corporate mascot, but all they've done is take it from one extreme to another. Yes, something needed to be done about the kiddie character perception that was perpetuated by the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in particular, but to go all out experimental was an extreme overreaction. As far as I'm concerned, the only content Disney has created this decade that captured the true spirit of Mickey were Get a Horse and the Epic Mickey games. Other than that, I think the classic Disney characters are in a similar state as the Looney Tunes. They're still theme park icons, but most of their actual content is stuck between experimental reboots that don't quite capture the spirt of the originals. Honestly, I can't help but feel that this all could've been avoided if Disney just continued using these characters as they had been until the mid-2000's or so.
I disagree about how Disney is treating the characters like Looney Tunes. At least Mickey and friends manage to still stay relevant while Warner Brothers is having a hard time trying to recapture the old Looney Tunes style after 2003.

Donaldfan1934

I actually like this take on Mickey and friends, I was getting very tired of them portrayed as happy-go-lucky (Besides Donald and Daisy occasionally) for a long time now. Plus I love the amount of Disney references not only from films and character cameos. But even references ones such as Make Mine Music and Oswald finally showed up in one short (As a cameo).
I get what you're saying about the whole happy-go-lucky thing, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I feel it's one extreme to another. The references are appreciated, but they alone don't make or brake a short for me. To be fair, I don't think all shorts are the exact same quality and can admit that some aren't as bad as others. But even at their best, the shorts barely hit above mediocre to average for me and never feel truly Disney even in moments when they're trying to. As I said in my first post, I can see how they might have an appeal have an appeal if you make enough of a disconnect from prior iterations, but for me, it's just the opposite of my cup of tea.

brb1006

I get what you're saying about the whole happy-go-lucky thing, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I feel it's one extreme to another. The references are appreciated, but they alone don't make or brake a short for me. To be fair, I don't think all shorts are the exact same quality and can admit that some aren't as bad as others. But even at their best, the shorts barely hit above mediocre to average for me and never feel truly Disney even in moments when they're trying to. As I said in my first post, I can see how they might have an appeal have an appeal if you make enough of a disconnect from prior iterations, but for me, it's just the opposite of my cup of tea.
This also isn't the first time Mickey was doing something a bit different compared to a typical Disney short.

Runaway Brain comes to mind.
194485_1020_A_1251.jpg

Donaldfan1934

I disagree about how Disney is treating the characters like Looney Tunes. At least Mickey and friends manage to still stay relevant while Warner Brothers is having a hard time trying to recapture the old Looney Tunes style after 2003.
I was mainly speaking from my subjective quality perspective, but I think the relevancy part has truth to it for a few key reasons. The first is simply because the Disney characters are the mascots for the most popular theme parks in the world as opposed to Six Flags. The second is that Disney has enough media influence to force certain things to be popular if they really want them. But the third and most important reason, which is somewhat related to the second, is that people are naturally willing to give the Disney brand a free pass for doing things most studios or even other brands Disney owns wouldn't. It's a mindset that's so prominent that I even think some of the most critical fans on these boards are guilty of it in one way or another. How else do you think they've been able to get away with so many reboots, remakes, and forced theme park attractions like the Incredicoaster when their competitors get slammed for doing the same exact cash grabs?

Disney Analyst

The shorts may be trying to make him less of a corporate mascot, but all they've done is take it from one extreme to another. Yes, something needed to be done about the kiddie character perception that was perpetuated by the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in particular, but to go all out experimental was an extreme overreaction. As far as I'm concerned, the only content Disney has created this decade that captured the true spirit of Mickey were Get a Horse and the Epic Mickey games. Other than that, I think the classic Disney characters are in a similar state as the Looney Tunes. They're still theme park icons, but most of their actual content is stuck between experimental reboots that don't quite capture the spirt of the originals. Honestly, I can't help but feel that this all could've been avoided if Disney just continued using these characters as they had been until the mid-2000's or so.

I disagree and adore the new shorts and think they are brilliant, the character is exactly how I remember him from my childhood before playhouse disney ruined him.

Donaldfan1934

This also isn't the first time Mickey was doing something a bit different compared to a typical Disney short.

Runaway Brain comes to mind.
194485_1020_A_1251.jpg
I had a feeling this might come up and I feel I should clarify that I'm not saying Disney can't do anything new with their characters at all. In fact, the new Three Caballeros series that started this discussion looks to be taking its characters into uncharted territory as well. I'm just saying that Disney shouldn't go too far in ways that change their characters almost entirely. While Runnaway Brain may have had a slightly darker story than other shorts, Mickey himself still feels like Mickey and not a completely different personality altogether. And considering that this short was considered to be one of the more controversial things Disney did at the time, I can't imagine how the new shorts would be recieved if they were released back then.

Donaldfan1934

I disagree and adore the new shorts and think they are brilliant, the character is exactly how I remember him from my childhood before playhouse disney ruined him.
And you're more than welcome to enjoy them, but I can't disagree more that the characterizations are exactly the same as they've always been even if they're not always noticeably out of character. Mickey in particular feels like a parody of himself you'd see on something like South Park or Family Guy. I think that's in large part due to the voice actor they hired specifically for the shorts, but even the characters who are voiced by their traditional actors come off a bit differently. For example, Goofy's personality is a bit more "random" and Donald's role is minimized to become mainly a victim of cruel punishment like Squidward has in modern SpongeBob episodes. That's probably the best comparison as I feel this whole series is the Disney equivalent of modern SpongeBob.

Last edited:

Phil12

Point missed.

Maelstrom fits the theme of WS.

WDI had a non-Frozen refurb of Maelstrom in developement during the late 00s/early 10s.

Management chose to shove characters in a place where they clearly don’t belong when offered the opportunity to improve an attraction which reflected the intent of WS.

Don’t be bedazzled by production details or newness.
Frankly, the theme is not that important. It's the production that matters the most. They could have put a Frozone attraction in WS to replace Maelstrom just as long as the production values were good enough. Some folks just seem to go overboard on their desire to stay within what they consider to be theme and as a result artistic representation suffers.

tissandtully

Spirited Musings:

The Disney Tweeter is like a car wreck. You know you shouldn't read it or look at it, but you feel drawn to it ...

I feel terrible that Tom Clueless 'had' to buy a $299 preview ticket to Paradise Pier. Truly. ... He absolutely had to be the first to talk about a new parade float and review every crappy new food and beverage offering, right? And he actually shouldn't complain that others (that Matt Roseboom character among them) got flown out for free and put up at the DLR for free and given swag. It actually is a compliment to be a site that gets traffic (see this one!!!) and doesn't ***** itself out as de facto PR or BRAND advocates.

And Ashley with all that Tiki Room art ... just getting ***** thinking about it. You too? I can't wait until they come out with a Tiki Room bathing suit and she models it, when she isn't in the bath tub with an annual report from 1983!

BTW, what is the deal with Funko figures and are Disney bloggerwhores getting paid for linking to their products? I don't understand these things, but they are everywhere in books stores and hip boutiques and there isn't an online person who doesn't feel a 'need' to shill for them. No, I don't own one.

How I love reading Andy Castro's ... because I so much agree with his passion and his politics.

So, y'all excited about the new PP attraction opening next year. Yes, they will just move Flik's Flyers over and reskin. Which brings to mind the fact that DCA deserves better and the film deserves better.

Have the Halloween Parties started yet? Oh, are they up to $175 a person yet? No? Next year?

BTW, I am sure you all heard about the major troubles with one of the SW attractions being built in Anaheim and how that caused their pace to slow down and allow Orlando's to catch up a bit, right?

Usually, this is where I would say something smarmy about the crazies visiting Orlando in the summer and say how they would be better off in Anaheim and while that always will be true to an extent, it's a very small extent these days.

What did happen with WoC being abruptly removed from the schedule and put on an indefinite hold?

Boy, Solo, was so amazing that fanbois are seeing it what ... one time? Is it even still playing?

You have to wonder when Bob 'The Weatherman' Iger is going to give up on forcing the franchise on the Chinese people? Just like that HKDL Yoda tee shirt that suddenly was all over the web a few years ago, they just aren't into it. Be happy they love Marvel there and cut your losses because the nostalgia fuelled love of anything Lucasfilm puts out just doesn't exist there and it should be painfully apparent by now that you aren't going to hook them with the crappy films you are making loaded with references and history dating to 1977.

Roseanne without Roseanne. Should be quite amusing to watch this one unfold.

So which resort are John and Nancy staying at this week for the opening of Toy Story KiddieLand at WDW? BW?

Back to the Tweeter, although I see a long thread here as well, but just love watching the measuring contests UNI and DIS fanbois are engaging in over the assets the Murdochs are looking to dump. I don't believe either company should get them. Both control too much as is, which is not good for citizens, consumers, employees etc. ... But I just love the way they take this so personally and how their tribe just has to win. No ... because either way, we all lose.

Remember when August was considered summer at theme parks in Florida AND at the box office?

I never did get to chime in on the HoP redo with the wooden spikes added to the stage and two guards posted at either side. Oh, and it absolutely is needed.
Really missed your posts, Spirit! Seems like you're one of the few sane ones around sometime.

The Mom

Premium Member
I did it on purpose. It's a real word you know?????

When used as a verb, correctly, it shouldn't be considered insulting. It just means - well, it's meaning is so unique that there really isn't a totally adequate substitute. Delay isn't quite right. Dammed up doesn't quite work. Impeded might be closer?

It apears that it is being used correctly here, and not in an insulting manner. But perhaps, like the legitimate word to describe a female dog, another word might be chosen instead as it has become an insult? Unless someone doesn't care if he/she inadvertently (or purposely) insults or offends others.

Mike S

When used as a verb, correctly, it shouldn't be considered insulting. It just means - well, it's meaning is so unique that there really isn't a totally adequate substitute. Delay isn't quite right. Dammed up doesn't quite work. Impeded might be closer?

It apears that it is being used correctly here, and not in an insulting manner. But perhaps, like the legitimate word to describe a female dog, another word might be chosen instead as it has become an insult? Unless someone doesn't care if he/she inadvertently (or purposely) insults or offends others.
There are no “bad words.” Just bad context. In the proper context you can say whatever you want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom