The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Songbird76

I will be sad to see if everyone starts removing/not posting pics of their kids in trip reports. I think those are the most precious photos.. but, I can completely understand and respect the decision to do so.

I absolutely love Facebook.. it truly does keep me “connected” to friends and fam.. especially when so many of us are now scattered around the country, or in other countries.

But, I don’t have and don’t see many people who have public FB profiles. It’s not even possible to find my profile unless I send you a request, and even my friends list is “private” on FB, actually, I’m not sure about that last one.. my friends list was private, but I think at some point it started showing up again. That said, plenty of people do tag me in photos, and I tag others as well, so I do know that certain photos are not contained to my page. I guess I just have a certain amount of trust with it, I would rather have social media than not have it. Even if they do drive me crazy with creepy ads that I didn’t click on thru Facebook. ;)
Yeah, facebook is pretty essential to me since I'm half a world away from my friends and family. It's the easiest way to stay connected and share what the kids are doing, share pictures, etc. But I AM aware of the dangers as well. But then, I married someone I met on the internet, so I definitely am in favor of the internet if one is safe. I've met a LOT of people from the internet...probably over 100, BUT, I've never met anyone not in a public place, and most I met with at least one other person with me. My brother came with me to pick up my now husband from the airport the first time he came to visit. So I'm cautious, but not paranoid. But when it comes to my children, I'm a bit more cautious...I make sure to crop out their names of anything I post. And I don't say the name of our town. The bottom line is just to be cautious about how much info you share on a public forum where anyone can get to it and to make sure that you don't post enough details that someone could track you down if they were of a mind to.

Songbird76

Reverse search engine will simply lead you do ALL the images that are almost identical to the one you posted. That means ANY website that has google cached, could be linked directly. Could be forums, third party websites, even facebook.

I've used this tool when someone claims they did "X" art and I was sure they didn't (to find the real artist).
Yep, that's what they use on Catfish all the time, too...people steal photos from someone's blog or facebook, and claim to be that person, so Nev and Max always do the reverse image search on the pictures someone has been sent, to find the origin of the photo. Nigerian scammers steal photos a lot, too and pretend to be another person and they contact some random person and tell them how attractive they look and that they'd like to get to know them, and then they end up scamming thousands of dollars from them. It's so sad that people fall for it. But all you have to do is look for the image and you can find out who it really is.

21stamps

Yeah, facebook is pretty essential to me since I'm half a world away from my friends and family. It's the easiest way to stay connected and share what the kids are doing, share pictures, etc. But I AM aware of the dangers as well. But then, I married someone I met on the internet, so I definitely am in favor of the internet if one is safe. I've met a LOT of people from the internet...probably over 100, BUT, I've never met anyone not in a public place, and most I met with at least one other person with me. My brother came with me to pick up my now husband from the airport the first time he came to visit. So I'm cautious, but not paranoid. But when it comes to my children, I'm a bit more cautious...I make sure to crop out their names of anything I post. And I don't say the name of our town. The bottom line is just to be cautious about how much info you share on a public forum where anyone can get to it and to make sure that you don't post enough details that someone could track you down if they were of a mind to.
I’m kind of the opposite I guess. I made a coworker come with me to buy FCC tickets from someone on Craigslist.. I have one friend who has done an online dating site, I was completely freaking out for her..I’m way too scared to do it... but, the photos on here didn’t worry me. Maybe I’m backwards. 😂

Yep, that's what they use on Catfish all the time, too...people steal photos from someone's blog or facebook, and claim to be that person, so Nev and Max always do the reverse image search on the pictures someone has been sent, to find the origin of the photo. Nigerian scammers steal photos a lot, too and pretend to be another person and they contact some random person and tell them how attractive they look and that they'd like to get to know them, and then they end up scamming thousands of dollars from them. It's so sad that people fall for it. But all you have to do is look for the image and you can find out who it really is.

Now this makes sense to me because adults have profiles linked to names. FWIW, I’ve done that “reverse search” on about 20 photos of T (posted on this site) in the past 2 days.. so far nothing has come up.. but I’m going to keep checking thru the pics just in case.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I have some ketching up to do, but I had to share because I am a super proud mama. View attachment 284168

DD got a perfect score on her Cito exam. 0% scored higher than she did in math, 4% scored higher than her in language, 6% in reading, and 26% in writing. She did SO well! And her best friend also did really well, with a 544....1 point away from VWO, but she already had the VWO advice anyway, and it can't go down. I suspect it was close, and I suspect that she had a bad day in there during their testing, because usually she's right up there neck and neck with DD. I was kind of expecting her to have a 550 as well, or at least a 549. But both of them got great scores. Really proud!!!
Congrats to all of you. xoxo

93boomer

Premium Member
@93boomer Sympathy like. It was bad here but not that bad. I did see a car go speeding past, spin out.......... hole in guard rail. Thankfully nobody was hurt. We made a stop before passing the accident and missed it by 15 or 20 minutes. Stay safe my friend xoxo
Oh goodness! Glad you missed it! Thank you! We’re up to 6.28 inches now. I had to make a ditch in the backyard to give the downspouts somewhere to empty. It backed up in the basement but I got it before it got bad. DH has to go on interstate to get home since all the roads home are flooded it. We need the rain but not all at one time.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Oh goodness! Glad you missed it! Thank you! We’re up to 6.28 inches now. I had to make a ditch in the backyard to give the downspouts somewhere to empty. It backed up in the basement but I got it before it got bad. DH has to go on interstate to get home since all the roads home are flooded it. We need the rain but not all at one time.
I don't like that that at all!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks for making me feel young, but, I'm afraid there was no internet when I was growing up. Transistor radios, with lousy sound and no range at all along with the game "Operation" were the electronic highlights of my time growing up. We figured we had gone about a far as we could go with technology.

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Stop the presses! :jawdrop: There WERE computers around even before (yes, even you) were born. :eek:

I rest my case below --

1526510112894.png

Also, the internet (ARPANET) was invented in 1983.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom