Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

EricsBiscuit

Not when it’s used internally.
That's different. Disney may have its own term and definition that its employees use because they know their definition. On a forum like this it's subjective and arbitrary. And even in a broader scope, Uni or Cedar Fair's definition of a "family coaster" is different than Disney's.

Frizzball

I have no problems with a family/childrens land in HS because that's really what it needed. If you have a young family, or medical conditions or a fear of thrill rides the only thing for you to do currently at HS is TSMM and a bunch of aging shows. TSL adds two rides that 99% of guests can enjoy and broadens it's appeal. I'm not sure I would have picked Toy Story as the IP personally given it's oversaturation in Disney and the continued watering down of the premise of HS that it adds to, but the ride systems and their universal appeal seems like a good idea. The Kiddie coaster/family coaster (call it whatever you like) will be popular and give the kids something to do in a park where they don't have a lot.

Like it or not Disney's main source of revenue is families, so having parks that families avoid because of the lack of rides they can actually experience is really not a good business plan.

Chicagoshannon2

I have no problems with a family/childrens land in HS because that's really what it needed. If you have a young family, or medical conditions or a fear of thrill rides the only thing for you to do currently at HS is TSMM and a bunch of aging shows. TSL adds two rides that 99% of guests can enjoy and broadens it's appeal. I'm not sure I would have picked Toy Story as the IP personally given it's oversaturation in Disney and the continued watering down of the premise of HS that it adds to, but the ride systems and their universal appeal seems like a good idea. The Kiddie coaster/family coaster (call it whatever you like) will be popular and give the kids something to do in a park where they don't have a lot.

Like it or not Disney's main source of revenue is families, so having parks that families avoid because of the lack of rides they can actually experience is really not a good business plan.
But it really only adds one ride because small children and those with a fear of thrill rides will not ride that coaster. I really wish they could have added in some sort of playground since they took away HISTK. At least DS (my ride chicken) will be happy to get babybell cheese there. He'll also love the Alien ride since he loves Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, but like I said it's one ride for small kids not 2.

Goofyernmost

But it really only adds one ride because small children and those with a fear of thrill rides will not ride that coaster. I really wish they could have added in some sort of playground since they took away HISTK. At least DS (my ride chicken) will be happy to get babybell cheese there. He'll also love the Alien ride since he loves Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, but like I said it's one ride for small kids not 2.
No, if the coaster looks tame enough it will be ridden by all ages that are allowed. That one looks very tame, no severe drops, no inversions or corkscrews. It will get a lot of families and younger children riding with their parents. It certainly will not be as intense as Big Thunder or even 7DMT. It will be someplace between 7DMT and Goofy. Expect long lines, the quintessential "if you build it they will come", ride.

Chicagoshannon2

No, if the coaster looks tame enough it will be ridden by all ages that are allowed. That one looks very tame, no severe drops, no inversions or corkscrews. It will get a lot of families and younger children riding with their parents. It certainly will not be as intense as Big Thunder or even 7DMT. It will be someplace between 7DMT and Goofy. Expect long lines, the quintessential "if you build it they will come", ride.

I thought it was a launch coaster? It also looks to be significantly longer than Barnstormer and 7dwarves. I'm not saying it won't be popular just that you can't count it as a kiddie ride which is what DHS desperately needed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I thought it was a launch coaster? It also looks to be significantly longer than Barnstormer and 7dwarves. I'm not saying it won't be popular just that you can't count it as a kiddie ride which is what DHS desperately needed.

It is a launch coaster, but will be a tame one compared to other launch coasters. The track is pretty long but the ride time won't be as long as dwarfs, it will probably be closer to Barnstormer in ride time.

doctornick

I agree. It's going to be a nice "fluff" land but it's still an ugly waste of space in my opinion. They could have built something a bit more exciting. I am looking forward to a few rides on A-S-S though :angelic:

I think it's a "waste of space" in that they only are netting two rides for the land. Should have had at least one more ride and/or even another attraction (like a show) with all the space there and how much DHS needs extra attraction capacity.

CJR

I have a feeling the land will feel kind of like DHS's Pandora until SWL opens. Like Pandora, the capacity won't be able to meet the demand. The Mickey ride should help a bit with this crowd once it opens, but that'll be busy on its own, so if it helps, it'll be small. The good news is that if you want to ride Tower of Terror or RnRC, you'll have a pretty easy time getting fast passes, and for better rides.

Goofyernmost

Wouldn't that depend on the severity of the launch? It needs a push but nothing compared to RnRC. That is what makes it a Family Coaster. It might be a little too much for a child alone, but, with parents it is quite likely to attract the youngun's with Mom and Dad. There will be no 0-60 countdown on this one, I'd bet on that. It will hit the bulls-eye on the targeted audience.

Jones14

I have found kids can handle mild launches better than chain lifts. The clack of the rollback stops and the slowly increasing height freaks some kids out.

My guess is the launch will be just fast enough to get the train around the track.
Not to mention that all rollercoasters launch their trains out of the station before the first lift hill. It’s just the speed of some launches coupled with how they’re built up to that makes them scary, so if the increase is gradual, it’s no big deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom