News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I honestly don’t know what else people wanted from the design on these stations. If they were over the top, they’d stand out like a sore thumb. To me, it looks like they’ve been design to blend in with their surroundings, especially the EPCOT station which I’m happy to see.

To each their own, I guess.

I think people were hoping that when you look at this:

upload_2017-12-9_12-3-58.png

You didn't immediately think of this:

upload_2017-12-9_12-4-20.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If WDW was going to make gondolas a full park-wide transportation system, then I would expect the central hub to be something spectacular, like Grand Central Station or the old Penn Station. But even with a grand architectural central hub, all the other stations in NYC are rather basic with a bare minimum of decoration. The CBR hub looks a bit impressive. I wouldn't expect each terminus to be grand. But, that's my opinion.

Sundown

Do you think being on the skyline will give guests a view (perhaps too much) of the behind-the-scenes areas of the parks? Would they be in danger of losing the illusion?

I think seeing to much backstage, etc. would pull me out of being part of an enveloping world .

lazyboy97o

Well, go ahead and mock me because I wasn't disappointed in the artist conceptions. Make fun of my ridiculously low standards. In my opinion, expecting a high bar of architectural exuberance for a gondola station is what's risible.

Disney could have settled for a grey box. That the stations have some architectural elements matching their surroundings and color is perfectly fine for me.
So now proper scale and use of elements is exuberant?

I think people were hoping that when you look at this:

View attachment 249261

You didn't immediately think of this:

View attachment 249262
It’s not even that. The hulking roof in the back has relevance to nothing but a poorly designed strip mall with poorly executed French-ish ornaments pasted onto it. The mansard roof came to prominence due to tax laws and concealed an additional floor of occupiable space. As occupiable space they follow along in those proportions. The roof over the loading station has no pretense of being occupied space and sits over open space. It also disregards traditional proportions and relationships, being significantly larger than everything below.

Do you think being on the skyline will give guests a view (perhaps too much) of the behind-the-scenes areas of the parks? Would they be in danger of losing the illusion?

I think seeing to much backstage, etc. would pull me out of being part of an enveloping world .
The location of Ratatouille will block part of the view behind World Showcase.

Thelazer

Boy those concept art photo's are lacking the "Family" aspect eh. Seems like adults in a shopping mall. Not family's going to visit the park for a day. I'm going to call this already if this is what they expect, a EPIC FAIL.

Lift Blog

With the last option I agree it won't work. Unless my math is wrong you have 5.7 seconds to get 8 people in and the door closed. Maybe athletic skiers but Disney people?
You have to factor in that multiple cabins are loading at once. With the example you chose, cabin spacing is 5.76 seconds. A cabin arrives every 5.76 seconds and another leaves at the same interval. This is where terminal length and design come in. The longer the station, the more cabins can be moving through loading passengers in between the ones arriving and departing. If you had 8 cabins loading, the time for passengers to load any single cabin wound be 46.1 seconds before the doors close.

Look how many cabins have doors open in the real life example below. Factoring in the speed of this particular system, each cabin has 48 seconds of load time.
giggijochbahn_soelden_byrudiwyhlidal-0275.jpg

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

The lines don't pass too near to backstage areas except when they are getting close to the International Gateway station, and the changes coming with Rat should help with the France backstage area.

bclane

You have to factor in that multiple cabins are loading at once. With the example you chose, cabin spacing is 5.76 seconds. A cabin arrives every 5.76 seconds and another leaves at the same interval. This is where terminal length and design come in. The longer the station, the more cabins can be moving through loading passengers in between the ones arriving and departing. If you had 8 cabins loading, the time for passengers to load any single cabin wound be 46.1 seconds before the doors close.

Look how many cabins have doors open in the real life example below. Factoring in the speed of this particular system, each cabin has 48 seconds of load time.
Since these appear to detach from the cable, is there a way for them to put these on some sort carousel that facilitates multiple outgoing lines/destinations? How cool would it be if they could have a central loading hub with cables going in different directions where you could tell the operator your destination and they could swing you around to the appropriate cable...and off you’d go. I could see them doing this with low cables so as not to have a mess of cables in one area. The towers could get taller so that you rise above the trees after you get far enough away from the hub.

Lift Blog

Speaking of loading, I think Disney and Doppelmayr are being very deliberate using variable-colored cabins with characters on them. Picture a cast member telling a family, "Orange gondola please, go ahead." The family has 45 seconds to get in that gondola but within less than 10 seconds, the cast member is telling the next family, "green gondola, go!"

JoeCamel

Ahhhhh, been a lot of years since I have been skiing. I think Snowbird with the big tram was last. Never been on a multiple line load system.

jt04

This is true of the monorail and even the WDWRR. Something for future Imagineers to fix.

jt04

Appreciate the art nouveaux elements of the gateway terminal. Great choice. Not sure about multi-colored gondolas. But Imagineering usually makes great decisions. Just pleased they are getting such a system built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom