News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks for replies @danlb_2000 and @MisterPenguin . Do you have to get of the gondola on every leg of the journey? Say if you're going from Caribbean Beach to Epcot, do you have to get out at Riviera? Or if you're going from Pop to Epcot do you get out? Or is there specific gondolas with specific destinations ions on them like buses?

There are three lines: Pop to CBR hub; DHS to CBR hub; Epcot to CBR hub passing through Riviera.

If your journey makes you go through the hub, you get off and back on. We're not sure how they will work the on and off at the Riviera.

Timothy_Q

There are three lines: Pop to CBR hub; DHS to CBR hub; Epcot to CBR hub passing through Riviera.

If your journey makes you go through the hub, you get off and back on. We're not sure how they will work the on and off at the Riviera.
Isn’t the Riviera just a turn, and not actually a station?

Lift Blog

When you talk about a capacity of 4000 to 5000 per hour, first I assume this is on each leg, but does that mean 4000 to 5000 in each direction, or total in both directions?

Standard lift capacity metric is PPHPD (passengers per hour per direction) because in ski land, people generally only care about upward capacity. Many ski lifts are designed with minimal download capacity even though the same number of carriers are travelling down as up at any given time.

The Disney gondolas will almost certainly have the equal capacity in both directions. If each line ends up at 4,500 PPHPD, total capacity of the system would be 27,000 per hour. A ski resort like Park City, Utah has a lift capacity of 75,000 skiers per hour just in the up direction.

lazyboy97o

I honestly don’t know what else people wanted from the design on these stations. If they were over the top, they’d stand out like a sore thumb. To me, it looks like they’ve been design to blend in with their surroundings, especially the EPCOT station which I’m happy to see.

To each their own, I guess.
Proper use of architectural elements is now a crazy, over the top idea?

Lift Blog

The math was worked out above in the thread. From memory: the slowest people per hour that these gondolas would do is 2,400 pph. So, imagine a line with 240 people in it. Six minutes later... it's gone. Some have speculated the pph would be 4-5 thousand... I'm skeptical of that, but if true, would make it twice as fast.

Each leg is about 4-5 minutes. The longest trip would be AoA/PoP to Epcot at 12 minutes (from memory).

Since the line to board and the gondolas would be constantly moving, any wait would seem like nothing compared to waiting for a bus and stop-and-go traffic.

Key to remember with lifts is there are three ways to increase throughput. Speed is one but you can also increase the size of the cabins and/or shorten the cabin spacing. 8-10 passengers per cabin seems to be the sweet spot for loading so that leaves speed and cabin spacing as variables. We seem to have settled on 8 for Disney and the maximum possible speed is 1378 feet per minute. Then it all comes down to spacing.

A path to 4,400:
-8 passenger cabins
-1378 ft/min line speed
-150' spacing

Current world record is 4,500:
-10 passenger cabins
-1280 ft/min line speed
-171' spacing

A path to 4,800:
-10 passenger cabins
-1,200 ft/min line speed
-150' spacing

A path to 5,000:
-8 passenger cabins
-1,378 ft/min line speed
-130' spacing - not sure this is possible.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Thanks for making the comment I just made fun someone was gonna make!

Right on cue too
Your welcome.
But you are trying to deflect the truth with sarcasm. most people don't care how the transportation buildings etc are themed as long as they are reliable and clean. It is only a small minority who will take up the fact that they are not massively themed.

Timothy_Q

Your welcome.
But you are trying to deflect the truth with sarcasm. most people don't care how the transportation buildings etc are themed as long as they are reliable and clean. It is only a small minority who will take up the fact that they are not massively themed.
I’m not saying how the stations should or shouldn’t be. That was someone else’s post.

I’m just saying every single discussion has the same generic and short sighted comment that you just made. “Most people won’t care”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks for making the comment I just made fun someone was gonna make!

Right on cue too

Well, go ahead and mock me because I wasn't disappointed in the artist conceptions. Make fun of my ridiculously low standards. In my opinion, expecting a high bar of architectural exuberance for a gondola station is what's risible.

Disney could have settled for a grey box. That the stations have some architectural elements matching their surroundings and color is perfectly fine for me.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
Well, go ahead and mock me because I wasn't disappointed in the artist conceptions. Make fun of my ridiculously low standards. In my opinion, expecting a high bar of architectural exuberance for a gondola station is what's risible.

Disney could have settled for a grey box. That the stations have some architectural elements matching their surroundings and color is perfectly fine for me.
You are not alone in liking them.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I’m not saying how the stations should or shouldn’t be. That was someone else’s post.

I’m just saying every single discussion has the same generic and short sighted comment that you just made. “Most people won’t care”
If the discussions are all the same and predictable then why even bother commenting ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom