Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

GlacierGlacier

In the american parks.

Imagineering still knows how to make great dark rides, they just haven’t been given the opportunity to create one in the US lately.

Mystic Manor, Hunny Hunt, 20.000 Leagues (tds), Journey (tds), Sinbad, Shanghai Pirates, and the future BATB are all amazing examples of classic dark rides with today’s tech
Even in the US, Indiana jones adventure is an amazing example

Mark Dunne

This got my blood boiling.

But then this made me not care. Although I'd have to agree the IJ IP doesn't really make sense in AK, unless they themed the ride to something animal-specific. Would prefer that an IJA type attraction go into DHS.
Rpl IJSS with an Indy style coaster ride like in Disneyland or Paris, I think they keep stunt spec cos so many people go to one area a few times a day so helps the park with people moving,

Kman101

Avatar made for a better land than movie. I don't think the property is "lousy" so to speak but to each their own. It just feels like some people stubbornly ignore something well done because they don't like it. You can dislike the property but still think they did a good job with the land, which they did. The rides, yeah, I suppose YMMV.

Like many things, I imagine if Pandora were thought up by Imagineers and not an acquired property (gotta stick with the spiel that IP's are bad, right?) that some would be singing a different tune about it. (Some, not everyone). But then on the other hand, there are people who completely dismiss AK as is, regardless of the nice theming it has, so .... I really do think some stubbornly won't admit a job (mostly) well done because of some intense dislike for certain things. Look at Ford, he's made himself so disgusted by Disney that he refuses to like or acknowledge anything they do. I can separate the two. I can separate emotion from what I perceive something to be well done. (The Pandora boat ride IS well done, it's just short and slightly lacking. What's there is immersive and IMO, well done. Sorry some of you need a story spelled out for you). Just like arguing against Toy Story and it's scale. Sometimes it's really NOT that serious but that's what we do, debate and pick apart everything because we're superfans. (And while no, Toy Story doesn't necessarily lend itself to immersion, but why let yourself dislike it because of some other issue you have? It's harmless. I can understand some gripes but I just don't get the hate. Would I prefer something else? Would I do other things? Sure. But it doesn't make me hate what's coming).

Last edited:

Sue_Vongello

I did mix up E and A tickets, you're correct. Care to explain why I'm "crazy"? The fact that I think WDW's strength is major dark rides and that it's been moving away from that for decades?

I've explained in the past why I don't find Avatar a particularly thrilling subject for a themed land, so I won't rehash it. I will agree that it fits thematically into AK. However, I don't agree that either of the Potter lands AREN'T thematically cohesive with their respective parks. Cars Land doesn't really fit in DCA, but I find it and the Potter areas much, much more compelling and complete than Avatar. That's a subjective opinion, of course.

Technically, when Cars Land was put in DCA it was thematically cohesive because, again at the time, the lands at DCA where all themed around different eras of California history and while there was no era where sentient cars existed the area was supposed to represent the California/Route 66/1950s-1960s era which it did a good job of doing ...

... and now that DCA is throwing all their themes out of the window and ignoring their plan to insert random things in random places (i.e. Guardians and Pixar Pier) then Cars Land still fits in with that theme.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Agreed! even tjhe TOkyo Disney Seas version...same thing... Though I will say it is better than Barnstorming Goofy coaster....

At least the DisneySea version is right next to IJA, as a complement to it, not as the single representation of Indy in the park

It's worth remembering it was added to Euro Disneyland in spring 1993 to try to cope with the crowds. The park was swamped in summer 1992 and more ride capacity was needed for the following summer. It was a quick fix.

To build it in Tokyo was a strange choice.

Timothy_Q

It's worth remembering it was added to Euro Disneyland in spring 1993 to try to cope with the crowds. The park was swamped in summer 1992 and more ride capacity was needed for the following summer. It was a quick fix.

I'd imagine the DisneySea version was also decided as a way to cheaply add more rides for opening day, considering the park had a very small (even if great) roster of attractions

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Any update on the Indy project at DAK? Still on the table, but too early to tell? Presumably it is dependent on the upcoming film's success.
It's actually still very much on the table. Iger is betting that he can make Indy a big thing again. Plus, Animal Kingdom needs something desperately on the other side of the park to balance out Pandora. This project actually has a very good chance of moving forward now.

RSoxNo1

I did mix up E and A tickets, you're correct. Care to explain why I'm "crazy"? The fact that I think WDW's strength is major dark rides and that it's been moving away from that for decades?

I've explained in the past why I don't find Avatar a particularly thrilling subject for a themed land, so I won't rehash it. I will agree that it fits thematically into AK. However, I don't agree that either of the Potter lands AREN'T thematically cohesive with their respective parks. Cars Land doesn't really fit in DCA, but I find it and the Potter areas much, much more compelling and complete than Avatar. That's a subjective opinion, of course.
The potter lands are in parks without real cohesive themes, they're just collections of IPs. You could argue the literature theme of Islands of Adventure, but that's fairly weak. Pandora's fit into Animal Kingdom's themes is more a function of how cohesive that park is than a criticism on the other parks. That doesn't mean Pandora is the best theme park land (personally, I still think Africa is a better land in the same park).

RSoxNo1

Pro FEA. Although I don't think that it fits particularly well in Norway (would have been better in Fantasyland), it's well done and the newer anamatroimcs are impressive. I included it because I think many of the dark rides mentioned are really more C/D ticket, not E.

Yeah it’s too bad they didn’t put it in Fantasyland. It would have probably gotten a lot more love from the hardcore fan base if it wasn’t a replacement for Maelstrom. The animatronics are great and it’s a fairly enjoyable ride for what it is.

Frozen Ever After is a perfectly adequate attraction with insufficient capacity in the wrong park. They knew all that before hand and because of all that, I argue that it's the worst attraction decision in the history of Walt Disney World. Many of the other things that people question are done so in hindsight (Imagination, Horizons, 20K Leagues, Alien Encounter). The placement and capacity of FEA was questioned well before the attraction opened.

It would overwhelm the turnstiles at DHS.
Adventureland is too small to feature such an important franchise.
Epcot is not right for obvious reasons.

An Indy adventure would be best realised in a naturalistic setting. DAK fits that requirement perfectly.

Or perhaps they could go with a boutique park. Like a scaled up Discovery Cove and new Star Wars hotel mashup.

Strictly my personal opinion.

Unless the franchise is revitalized, Indiana Jones doesn't need anything more than a single attraction. There's a Tony Baxter interview where he talked about the use of intellectual properties and how a property like Indy could certainly work in EPCOT, you would just have to play up a real life archeology concept. I don't think making Indy a paleontologist is that ridiculous for a DAK concept but others oppose. Adventureland would work and DHS is currently working.

Your argument of Indy overwhelming the turnstiles in DHS is a horrible one. Star Wars will overwhelm those turnstyles and the park isn't going to have enough to do for guests that can't get into Star Wars Land. It's why putting Mickey and Minnie's inside Great Movie Ride was so opposed by people here. Adding in Indiana Jones Adventure would pull out 1800+ people per hour.

Avatar made for a better land than movie. I don't think the property is "lousy" so to speak but to each their own. It just feels like some people stubbornly ignore something well done because they don't like it. You can dislike the property but still think they did a good job with the land, which they did. The rides, yeah, I suppose YMMV.

Like many things, I imagine if Pandora were thought up by Imagineers and not an acquired property (gotta stick with the spiel that IP's are bad, right?) that some would be singing a different tune about it. (Some, not everyone). But then on the other hand, there are people who completely dismiss AK as is, regardless of the nice theming it has, so .... I really do think some stubbornly won't admit a job (mostly) well done because of some intense dislike for certain things. Look at Ford, he's made himself so disgusted by Disney that he refuses to like or acknowledge anything they do. I can separate the two. I can separate emotion from what I perceive something to be well done. (The Pandora boat ride IS well done, it's just short and slightly lacking. What's there is immersive and IMO, well done. Sorry some of you need a story spelled out for you). Just like arguing against Toy Story and it's scale. Sometimes it's really NOT that serious but that's what we do, debate and pick apart everything because we're superfans. (And while no, Toy Story doesn't necessarily lend itself to immersion, but why let yourself dislike it because of some other issue you have? It's harmless. I can understand some gripes but I just don't get the hate. Would I prefer something else? Would I do other things? Sure. But it doesn't make me hate what's coming).

When AVATAR was first announced as a DAK addition I suggested that if AVATAR didn't exist and Disney pitched a corroboration between Cameron and Imagineering to create an alien land full of unique creatures, we would all be on board. That's exactly what they did.

Kman101

When AVATAR was first announced as a DAK addition I suggested that if AVATAR didn't exist and Disney pitched a corroboration between Cameron and Imagineering to create an alien land full of unique creatures, we would all be on board. That's exactly what they did.

Yep. This. Agreed completely. I also agree about Frozen Ever After. Adequate Fantasyland dark ride, in the wrong park, with poor capacity. Which they were aware of and didn't care much about.

bclane

Frozen Ever After is a perfectly adequate attraction with insufficient capacity in the wrong park. They knew all that before hand and because of all that, I argue that it's the worst attraction decision in the history of Walt Disney World. Many of the other things that people question are done so in hindsight (Imagination, Horizons, 20K Leagues, Alien Encounter). The placement and capacity of FEA was questioned well before the attraction opened.

Unless the franchise is revitalized, Indiana Jones doesn't need anything more than a single attraction. There's a Tony Baxter interview where he talked about the use of intellectual properties and how a property like Indy could certainly work in EPCOT, you would just have to play up a real life archeology concept. I don't think making Indy a paleontologist is that ridiculous for a DAK concept but others oppose. Adventureland would work and DHS is currently working.

Your argument of Indy overwhelming the turnstiles in DHS is a horrible one. Star Wars will overwhelm those turnstyles and the park isn't going to have enough to do for guests that can't get into Star Wars Land. It's why putting Mickey and Minnie's inside Great Movie Ride was so opposed by people here. Adding in Indiana Jones Adventure would pull out 1800+ people per hour.

I agree. Definitely one of the dumber decisions I can think of.

EricsBiscuit

For what it's worth I really enjoyed both queues for the Indy attractions at TDS. Especially in the E ticket.

brb1006

In the american parks.

Imagineering still knows how to make great dark rides, they just haven’t been given the opportunity to create one in the US lately.

Mystic Manor, Hunny Hunt, 20.000 Leagues (tds), Journey (tds), Sinbad, Shanghai Pirates, and the future BATB are all amazing examples of classic dark rides with today’s tech
Especially the upcoming BATB ride at Tokyo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom