Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Epcot82Guy

MK is arguably the only park that feels complete right now. The other 3 parks need a ton more work

Epcot is a mess of outdated / abandoned / lost capacity / lack of vision

DHS is grossly under capacity, even after SWL, and extremely outdated on its entertainment

DAK is great, but still needs more attractions / people eaters

I see your point, but I'd say DAK is pretty darn close. We went in September with moderate crowds. We did do Tiffins for lunch, but it was an EMH morning, so we had a "normal" amount of time at the park. We waited for Navi and had a FOP FP. We had a full day, Everest being the only ride we did twice - and we missed both Nemo and Flights (and no characters). I'll admit DAK can feel a bit empty still. But, if you do everything - and I'd say 90% of attractions there are worth doing every time or close to it - it fills the whole day. As a passholder with fairly frequent trips, I was a bit surprised myself seeing just how much there is when you actually do it now!

Now, I'd love to see them keep going so the park is more than a single day park - like the DL parks can be! But, if I had money to spend, it would go directly to Epcot and DHS right now. (Though, personally, I hope it doesn't go to Epcot until we get new leadership... but that's a story for another thread!)

WDWTank

Indy should be in EPCOT; he’s on an adventure in Italy, completely brand new ride, not the same as Anaheim or Tokyo, the main idea is we want something NEW, not constantly reused infrastructure and attractions rethemed :)

cjkeating

The pre-show is very silly and feels childish for an intense, dark, bumpy and loud attraction.

I really like the set up to Dinosaur... you walk through a dinosaur museum, nothing very interesting, you go into a pre-show that seems quite corporate until things go a little... wrong... and then you get on the ride and (on your first ride) it is quite a terrifying surprise.

Jones14

I really like the set up to Dinosaur... you walk through a dinosaur museum, nothing very interesting, you go into a pre-show that seems quite corporate until things go a little... wrong... and then you get on the ride and (on your first ride) it is quite a terrifying surprise.
Agreed. Whenever I’ve taken first-timers on Dinosaur, they’ve always come off more than a little shaken (in a good way) by its intensity. I’d put it on par with The Mummy in that regard.

the.dreamfinder

They won't be canceled and TLM and NFL have more than made up for the skyway, subs, canoes and keelboats. Each notoriously had low capacities. If they're better is subjective but the point is MK has made up for lost capacity. TLM has 2000 people ish per hour. SDMT has about 1500. Then there's ETWB and the shops, restaurants, and walkways. 20K had about 1200 I think, the skyway was low, as were the stuff lost on the RoA.
Don’t forget about all the facilities that are underused (El Pirata/Tortuga Tavern and TL Terrace) or are not what they once were (Diamond Horseshoe Revue). Additionally, more people visit MK now than twenty years ago and FastPass, and the guest thinking it engenders, creates capacity inefficiencies and crowding.

The park needs one to two 3000+/hour E-Tickets.

As we’ve seen with the SW:GE cuts, nothing is ever assured. Chapek could come to realize that a major SM refurb would cost less than Tron and cancel it to save money. Similarly, the theater could also receive the axe because the kinds of high quality shows that venue could hold cost lots of money to develop and continually operate. (That theater was one of the few positives I took away from the P&R presentation fwiw.) I hope the latter isn’t cancelled, but that presentation was filled with proposals that may not happen.
MK is arguably the only park that feels complete right now. The other 3 parks need a ton more work

Epcot is a mess of outdated / abandoned / lost capacity / lack of vision

DHS is grossly under capacity, even after SWL, and extremely outdated on its entertainment

DAK is great, but still needs more attractions / people eaters
Maybe the whole “one day park” standard is flawed. A full day sounds better than a half day, but that wasn’t the original standard for Disney theme parks. Though it did not have as many attractions, the Magic Kingdom of the 70s/80s was a multi day experience. It was the core of a trip to the Vacation Kingdom with day also spent at Water Country, Lake Buena Vista Village and recreational activities. When EPCOT Center opened, marketing sold it as a two day experience given all nations and pavilions. Eisner’s first big WDW projects, D-MGM Studio Tour, Typhoon Laggon and Pleasure Island represent the shift away from that two day notion. Opening day MGM was a full day experience with TL and PL as half day components in lengthen stays at the newly built hotels. Second half of the Eisner years put us where we are today with the neglect, shorter attractions, FP, and dimished budgets/increasing costs. Iger and his P&R leiutenants passed the buck.

So MK is still a two day park, Epcot is down to a full day park, DHS is down to a half day park, and with Pandora and RoL, DAK is a solid full day park. Three of the four parks need lots of additions to get them to two day status, which would help to minimize UNI time given the limited time guests have in Orlando. But MK can’t run in place either. It needs to plus old attractions not called PoTC or HM. It needs new all ages, people eating Es. It needs to stop following short lived trends or gimmicks like FP.

Maybe Disney could embrace what made the Magic Kingdom a world icon and paragon of theme parks; Theme, Show, Quality, Design, Efficiency and Value.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Don’t forget about all the facilities that are underused (El Pirata/Tortuga Tavern and TL Terrace) or are not what they once were (Diamond Horseshoe Revue). Additionally, more people visit MK now more than twenty years ago and FastPass, and the guest thinking it engenders, creates capacity inefficiencies and crowding.

The park needs one to two 3000+/hour E-Tickets.

As we’ve seen with the SW:GE cuts, nothing is ever assured. Chapek could come to realize that a major SM refurb would cost less than Tron and cancel it to save money. Similarly, the theater could also receive the axe because the kinds of high quality shows that venue could hold cost lots of money to develop and continually operate. (That theater was one of the few positives I took away from the P&R presentation fwiw.) I hope the latter isn’t cancelled, but that presentation was filled with proposals that may not happen.

Maybe the whole “one day park” standard is flawed. A full day sounds better than a half day, but that wasn’t the original standard for Disney theme parks. Though it did not have as many attractions, the Magic Kingdom of the 70s/80s was a multi day experience. It was the core of a trip to the Vacation Kingdom with day also spent at Water Country, Lake Buena Vista Village and recreational activities. When EPCOT Center opened, marketing sold it as a two day experience given all nations and pavilions. Eisner’s first big WDW projects, D-MGM Studio Tour, Typhoon Laggon and Pleasure Island represent the shift away from that two day notion. Opening day MGM was a full day experience with TL and PL as half day components in lengthen stays at the newly built hotels. Second half of the Eisner years put us where we are today with the neglect, shorter attractions, FP, and dimished budgets/increasing costs. Iger and his P&R leiutenants passed the buck.

So MK is still a two day park, Epcot is down to a full day park, DHS is down to a half day park, and with Pandora and RoL, DAK is a solid full day park. Three of the four parks need lots of additions to get them to two day status, which would help to minimize UNI time given the limited time guests have in Orlando. But MK can’t run in place either. It needs to plus old attractions not called PoTC or HM. It needs new all ages, people eating Es. It needs to stop following short lived trends or gimmicks like FP.

Maybe Disney could embrace what made the Magic Kingdom a world icon and paragon of theme parks; Theme, Show, Quality, Design, Efficiency and Value.

This is a great post. To emphasize a point Dreamfinder made, the near-universal use of FastPass is a fundamental shift in how people experience theme parks that necessitates a fundamental shift in how theme parks are designed. WDW, however, has proven unwilling to change their design philosophy. Essentially, FastPass means that people aren't spending time in lines, which means you need a great number of small, non-FastPass things to keep them busy; interesting themed stores with unique merchandise that encourage browsing or lots of nooks and crannies to explore, for instance. Basically, entire parks should be designed like Diagon-Alley or, to a slightly lesser extent, Cars Land. At the same time, FastPass dramatically increases the number of people waiting in lines, real or virtual, at any given time. If you have three FPs and are also standing in a physical line, you're basically taking up space in four queues - if everyone in a park is doing this, the number of people in line has essentially quadrupled. To handle that, you need to DRAMATICALLY increase ride capacity in each park - lots of big, people-eating new attractions. Yet WDW is actively moving away from people-eating dark rides at a moment when they really, really need them.

Basically, you can't just slap FP on a theme park that wasn't designed for it. It requires an entirely new creative philosophy. But WDW is absolutely unwilling to grapple with this fact, and its breaking the parks.

the.dreamfinder

FastPass, as it exists, needs to die. Attraction lines were perfectly fine in regulating how guests chose to spend their time. If you spend 2-3 hours in Adventureland, you can come back to Pirates when the line is shorter. FP puts the focus on riding rides more than exploring a land and experiencing its attractions. Virtual queuing is best suited for incredibly limited capacity/frequency offerings like the big stage shows or parades or nighttime spectaculars. How many folks waste an hour plus waiting for Illuminations to start when they could be enjoying the World Showcase pavilions?

RSoxNo1

FastPass, as it exists, needs to die. Attraction lines were perfectly fine in regulating how guests chose to spend their time. If you spend 2-3 hours in Adventureland, you can come back to Pirates when the line is shorter. FP puts the focus on riding rides more than exploring a land and experiencing its attractions. Virtual queuing is best suited for incredibly limited capacity/frequency offerings like the big stage shows or parades or nighttime spectaculars. How many folks waste an hour plus waiting for Illuminations to start when they could be enjoying the World Showcase pavilions?
I wholeheartedly disagree that virtual queueing works best for big stage shows, although the beginning part of that sentence ID'd those experiences as having limited capacity/frequency. The number of those experiences are limited. Having said that if Fastpass was limited to a single offering per day and that was a guaranteed spot for Fantasmic or something similar than I'd kind of understand it.

Fastpass+ is over used and overly/unnecessarily complicated. Fastpass as a concept is fine and dandy, but the hyper scheduling is more stress inducing than helpful. I hate having to make sure 60 days out that my family can get a ride on Na'vi River Journey because I know we can't get a FP 60 days out for Flight of Passage (I ran through that this morning).

I have suggested two different options, both of which are better than the current 3 Fastpasses, 30-60 days in advance option.

Option 1.
  • Revert to a digitized version of the legacy Fastpass system. I'll even offer up a snazzy new name option: MaxPass. Seriously, if Disney World switched back to day of reservations with "next available" Fastpass the old/new normal a la MaxPass, I would be pleased.
Option 2.
  • Everybody gets 2 Fastpasses that they can use/roll inside a given day. If you're staying on property, you can make a single Fastpass+ reservation in advance (scheduled) but all other Fastpass selections made will be "next available" similar to the legacy system. When you use either one of the Fastpasses you can book another, so you are always holding 2.
  • This would allow for the elimination of tiers, but also allow for reserving things like nighttime shows as @the.dreamfinder suggests above.

bclane

DAK could be having a fight with another park over who gets what. And it's not Indy.
I’m guessing another park wants to use the FoP tech for a different IP but AK wants it exclusively for a few years. Or are you saying AK wants to add something new that another park wants? I of course understand if you can’t say more at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom