Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

DisneyDodo

But "longer" does not exactly mean "better". And FWIW, I agree that people are too harsh on NRJ. I have experienced it several times and I like it, but it does feel like something is missing. Its interesting that you compare it to Pan because they are both similar in the fact that there is no narration and you just cruise through scenes. To me, Pan has a much better flow from scene to scene as Navi just feels like one or two long scenes.
I, too, really like NRJ, but agree that it feels too short. I think it differs from PPF in that PPF is a plot-based ride, while NRJ is more aesthetic-based. Because so much goes on during PPF, I think riders tend to feel more satisfied once they reach the end, whereas NRJ leaves you craving more.

Casper Gutman

Just about every NRJ shows the length to be around 5 minutes. When the ride first opened, videos showed ride length from 4:40 to 5:30. It then, after a while, started to become consistent at close to 5 minutes counting from launch to hitting the ramp that stops you. If the design was originally 4 minutes, then somewhere along the way there was a huge miscalculation, or they purposely slowed it down.
The video you yourself posted shows the boats hitting a line of boats and slowing to a crawl at unload around 4:25. It seems likely that an averagely loaded boat that goes from load to unload at a consistent rate would experience a ride time close to the one Marni described.

Also, the problem with NRJ isn't the length, although that's symptomatic of it. It's that it's a very uneventful ride through a landscape that is similar to the one found throughout the rest of the land. It's basically a long lead-up to a single, unnaturally presented AA of a figure with an unappealing character design. The coolest thing about the experience besides the sophistication of the sole AA is a bouncing leaf.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

The video you yourself posted shows the boats hitting a line of boats and slowing to a crawl at unload around 4:25. It seems likely that an averagely loaded boat that goes from load to unload at a consistent rate would experience a ride time close to the one Marni described.
However that rarely happens. I'd say ride time ends up being between 4:30-5:00 minutes most of the time. I've got it as 5 minutes on my site.

Regardless of what it's supposed to be vs. what it actually is, the ride feels short. Flight of Passage is 4:30 and it doesn't feel short.

Casper Gutman

However that rarely happens. I'd say ride time ends up being between 4:30-5:00 minutes most of the time. I've got it as 5 minutes on my site.

Regardless of what it's supposed to be vs. what it actually is, the ride feels short. Flight of Passage is 4:30 and it doesn't feel short.
The point in dispute is the ride time as designed - and Marni can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that does not account for long back-ups at unload, which in any case don't add to the ride experience.

bclane

I agree, it does feel short. However, I'd personally rather ride something that felt too short and left me wanting the experience to continue vs riding something that felt too long. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like NRJ...for what it is. Granted, I wouldn't stand in a long line for it (unless I have guests on a one day pass with me), but I'd gladly wait 20-30 minutes for it or use a fast pass to ride it every time I visit DAK (and you can do this quite often if your timing is right, especially early in the morning). IMHO, from the beginning to end, it is beautiful (music and scenery), it features an incredible animatronic, and the blending of the screens and physical sets is quite impressive, especially in certain scenes like the one with the centipede looking things that come out of the tree for example.

I do disagree with you about FOP's length though. Too me that ride really feels too short but that is only because I have so much freaking fun on it that I'm sad every time it ends. I bet they could make it an hour long tour over Pandora and they'd still have to tear me off the thing. :joyfull:

mikejs78

Premium Member
Walt Disney was dead a decade before WDW opened

5 years, not a decade. Walt died in 1966, WDW opened in 1971.

And it goes completely against your argument that he was just naming it after himself, since "Walt Disney World" was created as a name to honor him after his death. If I recall, he may have used the phrase "a Disney world" in comparison simply in terms of the scope of its size.

It was Disney World, and referred to as such in the famous promotional videos. After Walt's death, Roy Disney renamed it from "Disney World" to "Walt Disney World" to specifically honor his brother rather than just the Disney brand.

Look, we can take Disney himself out of this. I have absolutely no problem with the use of IPs - its the reality of the modern entertainment industry. HOWEVER Disney's heavy-handed, ham-fisted reliance on IPs is damaging the parks and the IPs themselves and inhibiting creativity. The prime examples of this are GotG and the potential use of Indy in AK (I absolutely love both of those franchises, by the by).

The truth is, we don't know how Walt would be in a modern context, so it's pointless to speculate. Both sides are engaged in mythmaking based on different aspects of Walt's personality.

Also I find it funny that people's examples of complaints against IP are two attractions, one of which isn't built yet, and the other which is just a rumor. Is there an example of a recent IP based attraction in WDW that was poorly done? I think even most people would agree that FEA is a good attraction, even if it's misplaced.

Sleeping Beauty was named before, not after it hit certain box office and merchandise criteria and was deemed a franchise. It’s not in any way the same as today.

Yes but in this case, Sleeping Beauty was in development at the time. So one could look at the castle and conclude that it's purpose was to promote the film.

lazyboy97o

I think even most people would agree that FEA is a good attraction, even if it's misplaced.
I’ll gladly call Frozen Ever After crap. I can’t believe it received a Thea Award.

Yes but in this case, Sleeping Beauty was in development at the time. So one could look at the castle and conclude that it's purpose was to promote the film.
The issue is the claim that it was little different than is done today. It was the big animated film that had Walt’s interest. The name also waffled. It was also at times Snow White Castle or even just Fantasyland Castle. The Sleepy Beauty’s castle name came very late, it was not the plan all along. If it was done like today it would have been Cinderella Castle, but that first would have been conditional on the film’s performance.

cynic710

I think the use of IP's is necessary for a few reasons, including Uni's impressive roll-out lately and the general social interests that are created in this modern world. my fear is the overuse of the types of rides coming out, which most involve "simulation" and screens. Im more ok with IP use over the use of a certain type of ride. Do something different! Sure, you can rely on IP for ride substance but I want evolution in experience.

im 33, meaning my heyday of disney is early to mid 90's. my favorite rides and nostalgia based fandom revolve around figment, indiana jones, star wars and 20k. so to me thats still IP use. But that also involved me going in a submarine, watching my favorite hero live and one sim that took me to space. its all about the variety of the old disney that was compelling.

i havent experience pandora yet, though i am excited to. i think the ip is great for the park and the themes look amazing, but i was underwhelmed to learn that the e ticket would be a screen based ride (though i understand its amazing in its own right). I just want a new experience when i ride something.

RSoxNo1

The point in dispute is the ride time as designed - and Marni can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that does not account for long back-ups at unload, which in any case don't add to the ride experience.
Ride time as designed doesn't mean the flow of the river hasn't been tweaked. They'll control the speed of omnimovers and can do the same thing within reason on boat rides as well. Rides like Pirates and it's a small world deliberately stack boats to have a constant flow into load and unload. We're arguing semantics here though because the real issue is the ride feels incomplete and therefore too short. Whether it's too short because it's 5:00 minutes long or 3:58 minutes long doesn't matter, it's too short.

AEfx

Are you going to grind for six months to get all the Heroes or are you gonna end up buying them for actual money like EA wants?

I've already unlocked two of them. Will unlock a third today. By the end of the weekend, I'll have all six.

It takes about 2-3 hours to earn one.

You also CANNOT buy them with cash in any way, shape, or form.

#fakenews

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

If you don't trust the time I gave after looking at a lot of videos, go check it out yourself.

Casper Gutman

They'd rather be critical.
I was referring to the video Penguin himself chose to post here as evidence of his claim. And as a reminder, this entire discussion was prompted by Penguin "being critical" of Marni, who has proven over and over again that he has reliable info.

As posters above have pointed out, the real issue is that, whether its 4 minutes or 5 minutes, it feels too short.

Kman101

It does feel too short. I still think it's nice though, but should be longer. You start to get into it right as it ends. At least while on the boat I feel immersed. I see no problem in exploring more of what you see outside in Pandora. It does a good job but I can also understand the complaints about it.

AEfx

As posters above have pointed out, the real issue is that, whether its 4 minutes or 5 minutes, it feels too short.

Which is what is rather ironic about it, in terms of what "Disney Parks fans" like us say we want.

I think it proves two things - one, we don't really want what we think we want, and two, Avatar is just a boring property that few care about on its own.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was referring to the video Penguin himself chose to post here as evidence of his claim. And as a reminder, this entire discussion was prompted by Penguin "being critical" of Marni, who has proven over and over again that he has reliable info.

Dude, did you hit your head or something? You yourself had once posted it was 5 minutes long....

The first full ride video that was posted (and quickly taken down) was about a minute shorter than this, so clearly the ride time is variable.

EDIT: That first video, from Attractions Magazine, seems to be back up and does show a roughly 5 minute ride time.

EDIT AGAIN: I just watched the Blog Mickey video - the difference is largely a PoC-style boat logjam at the end of the video. Besides that, both videos show a ride time right around 5 minutes.

From the full ride videos I've seen, the times have been:

4:50
5:00
5:10
5:45
5:50

Average is 5:19

Are you counting boat back-ups at unload?

No. Launch to stoppage.

It's not at the pre-preview rumored 4 minutes. It's actually 5 minutes.

No, from cast off to hitting the skids at the end. I watched the videos and recording start and stop times and did fancy arithmetic. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom