Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

Haymarket2008

This all makes me very nervous yet hopeful. Regardless of what happens with Figment, Spaceship Earth is the one place where they can really appease Epcot purists. Hope the next version blows us away.

trainplane3

Epcot Sphere sponsored by MacGregor Golf Equipment.
You know what? That'd be so ridiculous that I don't even know if I'd be mad anymore. Sort of a so mad it's hilarious state.

This all makes me very nervous yet hopeful. Regardless of what happens with Figment, Spaceship Earth is the one place where they can really appease Epcot purists. Hope the next version blows us away.
I know I don't speak for everyone, but they are about even in my mind. Figment (and Dreamfinder) is the Epcot character, SSE is the Epcot ride.

Otterhead

The business model doesn’t completely justify going to such great lengths of building an image around the parent company’s name.

I do wonder sometimes if either Disney or Siemens had pondered whether they'd be better off with a sponsor for a family theme park whose name doesn't sound quite so much like a male emission.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
This is all just rumor, but I’ve spoken to some credible people about this from both companies and the scuttlebutt is just that Siemens has realized it’s not a hugely recognizable brand at the most basic consumer level (aka WDW guests). Siemens is a very large company with a ton of different brands within itself – The business model doesn’t completely justify going to such great lengths of building an image around the parent company’s name.

Sympathy Advertising. Get people to develop an emotional connection with your name. Same reason why companies like Boeing, GE, UTC, etc put ads in TV. No one here, well maybe me, is going to buy a 737 from Boeing to cruise around in, or a GE MRI machine, or a Sirkorski Helo from UTC.

Horizonsfan

It still seems to me, that this has to do with something at a corporate level. Why would they put out a "thanks for the memories" ad? Why the abrupt shift from highly anticipated re-signing to definitely no return? If it was a negotiation falling out, say the demolition of SSE's post-show for EC3.0, it seems like we would have been hearing whispers for a while. This seemed to dissolve over night, so to speak.

And Siemens was sponsoring attractions on both coasts at multiple parks, if Epcot's overhaul plans upset them, it's hard to imagine that they'd abandon WDC entirely.

Given American corporations penchant to merge and be sold in the 21st century, I have to wonder if Disney is being absorbed by or buying a competitor of Siemens.

On the other hand, Siemens is a direct competitor of Bombardier. If Disney solicited bids for a new monorail fleet to Siemens and Bombardier, and Siemens lost, that could be enough.

trainplane3

Sympathy Advertising. Get people to develop an emotional connection with your name. Same reason why companies like Boeing, GE, UTC, etc put ads in TV. No one here, well maybe me, is going to buy a 737 from Boeing to cruise around in, or a GE MRI machine, or a Sirkorski Helo from UTC.

Keep your 737, I'll stick to my plane under a blanket that was shown off during the Super Bowl a couple years ago:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Perhaps THIS is the future, WDW did it before why not again...

Photo from Disney Parks Blog

sse320948fi-1.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It still seems to me, that this has to do with something at a corporate level. Why would they put out a "thanks for the memories" ad? Why the abrupt shift from highly anticipated re-signing to definitely no return? If it was a negotiation falling out, say the demolition of SSE's post-show for EC3.0, it seems like we would have been hearing whispers for a while. This seemed to dissolve over night, so to speak.

And Siemens was sponsoring attractions on both coasts at multiple parks, if Epcot's overhaul plans upset them, it's hard to imagine that they'd abandon WDC entirely.

Given American corporations penchant to merge and be sold in the 21st century, I have to wonder if Disney is being absorbed by or buying a competitor of Siemens.

On the other hand, Siemens is a direct competitor of Bombardier. If Disney solicited bids for a new monorail fleet to Siemens and Bombardier, and Siemens lost, that could be enough.

Remember that a Siemens insider posted a while back in this thread that the breakup was acrimonious.

Who knows what happened just that it probably was not a good thing

DisneyCane

Those companies advertise so people will buy their stock, not their products. Laymen wouldn't know who DuPont was if not for ads. They see an add, look them up and buy their stock.

More people buying stock raises the stock price which makes executive stock options worth more.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Those companies advertise so people will buy their stock, not their products. Laymen wouldn't know who DuPont was if not for ads. They see an add, look them up and buy their stock.

More people buying stock raises the stock price which makes executive stock options worth more.
I doubt very much DuPont or any other multinational cares about “mom and pop” investors. They care more about corporate perception. No company wants to be viewed as a Halliburton.

Haymarket2008

You know what? That'd be so ridiculous that I don't even know if I'd be mad anymore. Sort of a so mad it's hilarious state.

I know I don't speak for everyone, but they are about even in my mind. Figment (and Dreamfinder) is the Epcot character, SSE is the Epcot ride.

I 100%, absolutely agree with you on that.

AEfx

I doubt very much DuPont or any other multinational cares about “mom and pop” investors. They care more about corporate perception. No company wants to be viewed as a Halliburton.

And that's why companies pull out of Epcot.

In this day and age, corporate sponsors like that who don't actually sell a product to consumers have no reason to sponsor anything. Not to mention, the entire idea of Disney needing sponsors to build attractions within its gated theme park who they are the sole beneficiaries of the profits from, is rather antiquated in and of itself.

The reason this began when Epcot was EPCOT was because of the cache that being involved in the park gave them. It was the prestige factor. Similar with the entities that sponsored the countries in WS (though they actually looked at them as living travel brochures). Over time, this didn't prove to be of any real benefit to them, so just giving millions of dollars to help build something that gave them no tangible benefit, just didn't make sense once the lid was off the "secret" that in all it's machinations, it's always just been a theme park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom