1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by SpoiledBlueMilk, Jun 29, 2017.

1. disney1023

disney1023 Active Member

Tomorrow's Child and laser chariot coming back, anyone?

2. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

He doesn't really have to get that far into the weeds, does he?

He's got a whole org chart to figure out how to do that. He says "cut expenses 14% while increasing revenue 20%," and then it's up to the suits to figure out how to do that.

The sad news: the suits apparently are busy running scenarios through Roller Coaster Tycoon--Disney Edition while the parks are falling apart, so the "magic MBA" middle managers who grew up in broadcast media wind up making decisions that (a) destroy Disney's reputation for quality, (b) alienate and price-out long-time repeat customers, and (c) leave the parks vulnerable to competition from places like Uni and Legoland.

Maybe a Musk or Bezos buyout of P&R isn't such a bad idea...

ford91exploder and HMF like this.
  3. FullSailDan

FullSailDan Active Member

There is ZERO competition from legoland. It's...a quaint park. I've had more fun at small zoos. That's coming from someone who LOVES legos, like as a 32 year old I have lego piles in my boardroom to keep the ADD folks (myself included) amused during meetings. The park is also a short road trip from my home right next WDW. It's overpriced, has enough entertainment for about 3.5 hours, is really off the beaten path for an average visitor, and doesn't warrant a repeat visit. So sad, because I really think there is huge potential.

Universal OTOH is competition, especially locally and they hand out comp tickets like candy. (You worked an hour of overtime?! Here's three comp tickets!) But Universal has its shortcomings too. The perceived value of their offerings outside of the HP stuff feels very carnival like. They don't have a huge offering for the young ones. (Nintendo may change this...) Citywalk in the evenings is not seen as family friendly. Point is, Uni and WDW are symbiotic. While many people like to point out that Uni has taken a day away (or added an extra day in the hotel!!) lately, I know plenty of people who say "I wanted to come see the Harry Potter land and figured I'd do Disney while I'm at it". They thrive off each other. Universal's spending on their parks of late is also helping nudge Disney to spend money too, so let's celebrate them both.

While we can agree the suits have cut some things, raised prices, and made some questionable decisions. I also think a shift from how they have operated traditionally HAS to happen. They can't build enough to keep up with the increased pressure on the gates, raising costs means it lowers demand and keeps the bottom line relatively steady. A lot can be said about the poor job they have done to balance quality with increased costs. As someone who doesn't mind spending the extra cash, I expect a more premium experience. Dining across the parks is huge sore spot. I dont envy their need to make that one or two special meal for a family within reach during their stay, but I regularly go for fine dining. I know that I can go to the waldorf, spend just as much and get WAY better food and service. In terms of their offerings for rides, I think they are smart to up the thrills a bit. Disney is seeing a huge demand in the parks for these rides, test track/ToT/Space/7D,Everest, etc all get crushed on a daily basis, while other rides maintain a small wait. They need to pursue some additions on this level to even it out. We talk about Uni being competition, almost everything they offer is "thrill", but then we lambast Disney for taking pages out their playbook?

4. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

YES!! Both have been back since the early part of the summer!! I never knew the smokestacks where supposed to be there until I saw them a couple weeks ago. Subtle touches that enhance the overall experience.

5. IWant2GoNow

IWant2GoNow Well-Known Member

What was the exact reason for this? I look for it every time and was starting to think I had imagined it.

6. matt9112

matt9112 Well-Known Member

@marni1971

unrelated to news ect as a hypothetical how hard/possible is it tgo make the globe resolution 4k?

7. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

It's possible. New video, rendered to 4K, 4K playback hardware and a 4K resolution LED mesh. Assuming the source footage is high enough definition.

But why not go 8K?

Remember when it opened it wasn't even HD. Just a bunch of QuickTime files.

8. matt9112

matt9112 Well-Known Member

well I picked 4k for simple can it be done. I know beyond that it's just scaling I meant physically what has to happen to all the little lights that make the scene?

9. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

They'd need a lot more little lights.

But without a 4K source it'd defeat the object.

PorterRedkey likes this.
  10. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

And ESPN and blames everything on Iger.

larryz likes this.
  11. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

one of the high-ranking Imagineers probably Eric Jacobson thought it looked cheesy. Same reason the bride in the Haunted Mansion doesn't have the glowing heart anymore.

IWant2GoNow likes this.
  12. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

Some people like cheesy... :mad:

CanadianGordon and The_Jobu like this.
  13. TJ Vazquez

TJ Vazquez Well-Known Member

I usually disagree with you, but you are spot on. I worked for a very large company and managed their SG&A budget for the total company (not as glamorous as it sounds haha) and this is exactly true. Wall Street owns most Fortune 500 companies sadly.

ford91exploder likes this.
  14. disney1023

disney1023 Active Member

Do you have any videos and/or pictures?

GlacierGlacier likes this.
  15. aladdin2007

aladdin2007 Well-Known Member

I don't sorry, maybe someone else here does, but in person I was very pleased with the show quality of the said fixes.

16. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

Managing a SG&A budget tedious is the word which comes to mind immediately I agree very little glamour there.

But more CxO's need to stand up to Wall St and say what you want is bad for our business and customers.

Need to get back to the three legged stool of business ie 'customers, stakeholders and shareholders'. And move away from the Unicycle of Wall St.

The reason I dislike Iger so much is he allows Wall St to dictate how the TWDC company is run.

17. disney1023

disney1023 Active Member

I personally think it is more than fantastic that, since the semins issue, they are finally doing things to fix spaceship earth.

18. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

I could be Wrong but I think minor fixes like turning the chariot back on or turning the paper boy around could be done overnight if they wanted to to tide us over until the next major refurb.

19. SirNim

SirNim Well-Known Member

Off topic and FWIW, after spending a week in the south of Spain last year, I hereby declare that Andalusia is the beating heart and soul of the Spaceship Earth experience. You can get the caveman experience in the many caves of Gibraltar, the Phoenician experience sitting on a restaurant patio along the beach of Marbella gazing out at the starlit Mediterranean Sea with Morocco in the distance, and you can get the Jewish Teachers and Islamic Scholars (old narration, I know, but beside the point) experience in Córdoba itself. Mile for mile, and euro for euro, the south of Spain packs the most Spaceship Earth punch into the smallest possible area. A+, highly recommended for all Spaceship Earth aficionados.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  20. disney1023

disney1023 Active Member

I'm sure that will happen at some point in the future. After all, Disney will have to focus on the ride now that Siemens is out of the picture.