News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Bocabear

For as much as we hate on off the shelf rides, Splash is a upscale log flume, Space Mountain is just a low end roller coaster in the dark, Star Tours is a scaled up simulator.

Its always much more than just the ride system, its what they do to "plus" it that makes the difference between Disney quality and Six Flags.
Splash is much more than a standard off the shelf log flume...Space Mountain was anything but a low-end rollercoaster...it was a unique tubular steel coaster, double tracked, and woven together, completely custom every bit of the way....and then beautifully themed.
Star Tours is a simulator but completely reimagined to what was an off the shelf system... None of these are exaples of an off the shelf carny ride that had added theming.

Bender123

Splash is much more than a standard off the shelf log flume...Space Mountain was anything but a low-end rollercoaster...it was a unique tubular steel coaster, double tracked, and woven together, completely custom every bit of the way....and then beautifully themed.
Star Tours is a simulator but completely reimagined to what was an off the shelf system... None of these are exaples of an off the shelf carny ride that had added theming.

"Themed" does not imply "completely unique".
The ride system for Splash is just a flume with a great show. The history of the ride was a reaction to other parks building flume rides and finding a way to "plus" it. If you strip out the show, whats left is basically a bone standard log flume ride system.

Space Mountain may have a unique tube structure and custom track, but it is considered a wild mouse coaster, which, even at the time, was not revolutionary, in the least. The theme, again, makes the ride special, not the ride making the theme special.

Theming up a custom built version of a standard ride doesn't make them a unique ride system, it makes them unique takes on very common ride systems. The "classic" Disney was all about taking normal things and making them better..."plus it".

When it comes to pure Disney innovations, you get into rides like Soarin', Test Track, Universe of Energy (more due to the novel trackless system), etc...

My point being that many of the classics that we all know and love where not unique ride systems, they were unique experiences built on familiar systems.

yensidtlaw1969

Honestly, if we even got something the caliber of a Fantasyland Dark Ride (Think Snow, not Mermaid) I'd be totally floored. A nice, small attraction that whisks you away on a short jaunt - not big enough to be a draw but more involved than a flat ride . . . we've determined it's not a flat ride, right?

Brer Oswald

Honestly, if we even got something the caliber of a Fantasyland Dark Ride (Think Snow, not Mermaid) I'd be totally floored. A nice, small attraction that whisks you away on a short jaunt - not big enough to be a draw but more involved than a flat ride . . . we've determined it's not a flat ride, right?
I feel like even if they just cloned Alice from DL, that would be more ideal than some alternatives.

yensidtlaw1969

I feel like even if they just cloned Alice from DL, that would be more ideal than some alternatives.
I'm sure they wouldn't if for no reason beyond the fact that Disneyland's Alice has the weirdest layout - half the ride was built on top of Mr. Toad next door because there was simply no space for it otherwise. It would need some serious transcription to make sense as a standalone in World Showcase . . . not that I don't totally love that ride. I'd love to see a version of it on the East Coast, but I have trouble picturing today's Disney going for it.

Brer Oswald

I'm sure they wouldn't if for no reason beyond the fact that Disneyland's Alice has the weirdest layout - half the ride was built on top of Mr. Toad next door because there was simply no space for it otherwise. It would need some serious transcription to make sense as a standalone in World Showcase . . . not that I don't totally love that ride. I'd love to see a version of it on the East Coast, but I have trouble picturing today's Disney going for it.
I'd rather them do a completely new one. It just might be cheaper for them to reuse these resources.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom