News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

RSoxNo1

If studios are going to continue crank out big budget movies, they're going to do so with what they view as "Safe bets". As of right now, Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are the safest bet out there. Until that changes, there will be no super hero fatigue as other studios try to piggy back off that success.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So why are the studios concerned with fatigue then? Even with good box office numbers? You seem to have the answers ;)

I don't know if the Disney studios are concerned with fatigue. Do you do lunch with Kevin Feige? :p

Maybe the studios with a small roster of superheroes and are risk averse are afraid of fatigue. Sony had been running out of ideas for Spider-Man. Fox has been running the X-Men, Logan, and Fantastic Four into the ground. They struck gold when they were convinced against their 'better judgment' to green light a Deadpool movie. Universal only has Hulk left and they don't seem to want to leverage it after their previous solo Hulk bombs.

Compare that to Disney/Marvel which put in the work to introduce characters many weren't familiar with. Alternate solo and group films. Take a risk on Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, and continue to risk with Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

Warner Brothers had the same problem when they would only do Batman and Superman movies... there's fatigue for ya. Then Wonder Woman showed them that superhero fatigue isn't about people being tired of superheroes, but tired of the same exact couple of heroes over and over again. Very few franchises survive centered around the same character whether super or not. Indiana Jones choked on Crystal Skull.

If studios are going to continue crank out big budget movies, they're going to do so with what they view as "Safe bets". As of right now, Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are the safest bet out there. Until that changes, there will be no super hero fatigue as other studios try to piggy back off that success.

I explained above why Marvel's expanding roster is a much safer bet than the same character over and over again and then rebooted over and over again. DCEU is finding that formula with Wonder Woman and Justice League. Fox is in for a world of hurt if they think they can just keep rebooting the X-Men after squeezing everything they could out of Wolverine... they never took time to develop other characters with their own (mostly) solo movies.

Matt_Black

Wonder Woman showed that when you do a character that hasn't been seen on the big screen before and do it well, people will put their butts in the theater seats. Now, for Marvel, we'll see if that holds true when Black Panther comes out, as the 3 Marvel films before it were sequels or reboots.

Casper Gutman

So why are the studios concerned with fatigue then? Even with good box office numbers? You seem to have the answers ;)

As Penguin points out, the studios are seeing fatigue in relation to every franchise that DOESN'T have a superhero in it (with the slight exception of Fast N' Furious.) Even usually dependable animated series like Cars and Despicable Me are in trouble, and The Mummy, Pirates, Transformers are all sinking fast.

But superheroes - this year has seen 4 so far (Logan, Spidey, Guardians, WW) and all have opened to critical acclaim and box-office success. WW held better than any superhero film since Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 - 15 years. Spidey was projected by Sony for an $80 million opening - it opened at $117 million, which partially explains the big second-weekend drop. The studios are so happy with superheroes, Fox, Sony, and WB are all increasing the number in their slate.

Now, will this last forever? No, diminished returns will come at some point, but these franchises fit the financial model of the modern Hollywood too well to go away for very long.

Some predictions - Marvel's Thor 3 will perform slightly better than Thor 2, Black Panther will surprise the industry with a significantly higher than expected opening, and Avengers 3, while not the biggest film of all time, will be as big as Avengers 2. Justice League will fall well below expectations, causing panic at WB, which will be alleviated when Aquaman exceeds expectations. Sony's silly Spidey semi-spin-offs Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable will bomb and they will seek to expand their deal with Marvel. Similarly, Fox will continue to sprinkle clueless mishaps among surprising crowdpleasers, with X-Men: Pheonix doing poorly, New Mutants doing slightly better in relation to its budget, and Deadpool 2 making Fox fall in love with mutants all over again.

And Marvel will announce another ambitious slate next year, and WB will try to figure out why WW and Aquaman are hits and adapt as they extend their line, and Fox will go on as it has for a decade with hits and misses. And Sony will panic, because its Sony. Those are my predictions.

And I'm not sure people are even that tired of rebooted heroes if done well. I think, for instance, a new Superman that was "happy" and "good" would be a smash hit. Fox is kinda pushing the edges of this, though.

Oh, and sometime in the next decade we'll see a Tron soft reboot. And it won't fare very well.

Movielover

Oh, and sometime in the next decade we'll see a Tron soft reboot. And it won't fare very well.

Wow, While I will admit I don't agree with some of your opinions on theme parks this is spot on with what I think about the upcoming superhero related movies, especially Sony, those idiots have no clue what to do. Marvel is succeeding at a consistent level mainly because they are basing their films on different genres, example Ant Man was a heist movie, Winter Solider a political thriller. They are able to continually keep a fresh tone about their films. DC on the other hand stumble right off the top but finally found a success with Wonder Woman. Although I think if Disney does reboot Tron it could do well as long as it feels fresh and fun which is what studios should take away from Marvel and Wonder Woman's success.

Spike-in-Berlin

Sorry I was interrupted before I could end my last post about the myth of the TRON movies being box office bombs.
Already mentioned TRON, was not exactly a successful hit but not a bomb either at 33 mio. domestic plus several more million in overseas sales vs. a 17 Mio. budget. The IMHO far inferior TRON:Legacy even grossed 400 Mio. Now that's truly a box office bomb, isn't it? And as Matt_Black already said, the original movie garnered a huge cult since then, it became a milestone in the history of moviemaking and a style defining pop culture icon as well (and the first movie I saw in an US cinema in Miami :))
Face it, TRON IS a cult movie, John Lasseter once said without TRON no Pixar.

LukeS7

Wonder Woman showed that when you do a character that hasn't been seen on the big screen before and do it well, people will put their butts in the theater seats. Now, for Marvel, we'll see if that holds true when Black Panther comes out, as the 3 Marvel films before it were sequels or reboots.
Pretty sure that already happened with Marvel with both Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange

The Empress Lilly

Someone here recently posted a survey from a reputable theme park surveyor and the top 10 attractions in Universal and Disney parks were all coasters and screen rides. If i run across that post again ill quote you.
This top ten?
I looked up the Unofficial Guide/Touring Plans reader surveys over the last 90 days, because they generally track the parks' surveys.

Flight of Passage is the highest-rated attraction in any domestic park for Disney or Universal. The rest of the top 10:

2. Gringotts (USF)
3. Toy Story (DHS)
4. Hallowishes Fireworks
5. Toy Story (DCA)
6. Soarin' (EP)
7. Happily Ever After (MK)
8. Radiator Springs Racers (DCA)
9. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (DHS)
10. Expedition Everest (AK)

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ing-pandora-as-a-success.928627/#post-7809232

rioriz

As pointed above, IMHO, Marvel is not in danger of fatigue due to their risk on Individual tent pole movies. In two years Iron Man, Cap and the rest of the original Avengers will be gone. BUT the New Avengers lead by Spiderman will also succeed due to the fact we know Dr. Strange, Cap Marvel, Ant Man, Wasp and more, back stories. We know them already and it will make us yearn to see the new flock work together on screen.

DC learned with WW but could be too late. Justice League will succeed due to reputation of the Comics, not because of attachment. EDIT: i mean general public attachment and not comic book nerds as myself

TRON 3 could succeed like Justice League due to reputation only. The ride will succeed because its a thrill ride. MK will be better for it.

The Cure for Wellness is an amazing mind

Back on topic now, sorry...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike S

As pointed above, IMHO, Marvel is not in danger of fatigue due to their risk on Individual tent pole movies. In two years Iron Man, Cap and the rest of the original Avengers will be gone. BUT the New Avengers lead by Spiderman will also succeed due to the fact we know Dr. Strange, Cap Marvel, Ant Man, Wasp and more, back stories. We know them already and it will make us yearn to see the new flock work together on screen.

DC learned with WW but could be too late. Justice League will succeed due to reputation of the Comics, not because of attachment. EDIT: i mean general public attachment and not comic book nerds as myself

TRON 3 could succeed like Justice League due to reputation only. The ride will succeed because its a thrill ride. MK will be better for it.

The Cure for Wellness is an amazing mind

Back on topic now, sorry...
I think Hulk at least might survive.

Last edited by a moderator:

No Name

Appologizes if this has been discussed, but do I see escalators in the concept art, kind of like the stair/escalator combination for the parking garages in Disney Springs?

That could be cool.

image.jpeg

No ToT?

People are weird...

Wait, so is Chapek flat-out lying about Mission Breakout being the most highly-rated attraction at the Disneyland resort? And maybe about Tron being the most popular ride in Shanghai? Is Bob Chapek the Kim Jung Un of Disney??

Or are his comments based on some different metric?

LukeS7

Ah, but my original point was characters that HADN'T been adapted before. And Doctor Strange does NOT fit that bill!

And my point was that Marvel has been able to make obscure characters relevant. I don't really care if there was some crappy movie/show from the 70's, it's relatively insignificant and it really wouldn't stick with anyone. Nobody's gonna go "oh, they made ANOTHER Doctor Strange movie?". And the first Guardians film does fit that bill. Anyways, this has drifted wayyyy off topic as this is a thread about a TRON ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom