News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Daveeeeed

On what metric was Maelstrom anything more than a D? It was built when true E-ticket dark rides existed in that very park.
My thoughts exactly. The scale was truly nothing grand. If that was an E in '88 what would that make Indy just a few years later? It's a great ride for what it's worth, but there's no way it could be an E by the company's internal scale metric (post demand times).

RSoxNo1

Possibly since it was considered the parks first thrill ride.

Not my words. But it did used to be a bit more thrilling than in later years.
What changed? As far as I know the track remained unchanged and other than the thrill of being held hostage by the post show, I don't think anything else significant changed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What changed? As far as I know the track remained unchanged and other than the thrill of being held hostage by the post show, I don't think anything else significant changed.
Storm was much reduced. Rain misters turned off. Waves muted. Fog effects turned off. Smoke canons deactivated. Lightning strike toned down.

In short less thrilling. And then Body Wars opened a year later as the parks new thrill ride E Ticket. Demoting maelstrom in everyone's eyes to the D it really was.

EPCOTCenterLover

I always thought Body Wars was second place compared to Maelstrom. At least the Norway boat ride had a new twist to it. BW always seemed like a less thrilling version of Star Wars to me.

RobbinsDad

I always thought Body Wars was second place compared to Maelstrom. At least the Norway boat ride had a new twist to it. BW always seemed like a less thrilling version of Star Wars to me.
The idea behind Body Wars was much better than its execution. I think that might have been part of the reason it lost popularity - the experience didn't live up to the hype. Kind of like M:S today.

celluloid

I always thought Maelstrom had more "thrills" when I first rode it, but figured it was just my imagination. Nice to see that I was right in thinking that WDW toned it down.

Definitely not just you. As mentioned, intense effects including amazing strobe Tesla like effect and the world's largest fog machine was one of the many things that made it unique on top of backwards switch track.

Also, for those that say Body Wars could not be an Eticket, remember it was only the second motion Sim of its caliber in the industry and opened nearly the same time

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Definitely not just you. As mentioned, intense effects including amazing strobe Tesla like effect and the world's largest fog machine was one of the many things that made it unique on top of backwards switch track.

Also, for those that say Body Wars could not be an Eticket, remember it was only the second motion Sim of its caliber in the industry and opened nearly the same time

There seems to be a rapid decline of Fog and Strobe effects across all parks. Having ran a fair share of haunt attractions I can tell you they go a long way in ramping up the thrills and chills. They also cause epileptic seizures and create a false sense of choking and serious claustrophobia which is why professional venues (including parks) are more reluctant to use them. In a world where people are "sue-happy" it's just not worth it in most instances. Harsh to say but true. Not sure why those effects were removed from Maelstrom but it could have played a part. Although I imagine upkeep costs and a need to make it less scary for children were the biggest factors.

Mike S

There seems to be a rapid decline of Fog and Strobe effects across all parks. Having ran a fair share of haunt attractions I can tell you they go a long way in ramping up the thrills and chills. They also cause epileptic seizures and create a false sense of choking and serious claustrophobia which is why professional venues (including parks) are more reluctant to use them. In a world where people are "sue-happy" it's just not worth it in most instances. Harsh to say but true. Not sure why those effects were removed from Maelstrom but it could have played a part. Although I imagine upkeep costs and a need to make it less scary for children were the biggest factors.
Intense fog absolutely makes the ship scene in PotC. It was off and on when I was in Disneyland.

celluloid

Def upkeep. LN2 fog and as you know theatrical fog is typically glycerine based which lubricates lungs for breathing. Also, I recall the giant fog machine broke early on, and if Epileptic seizures were too common from strobes, Everest and Flight of passage would be the worst offenders.

Disney-Trains

When on my personal last rides for energy and movie ride... I couldn't help but think how both attractions used lots of AA's, low fog, and running water effects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom