News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not gonna pretend I was alive in 1988, but I have a hard time believing that. It's not like Maelstrom was the gold standard for dark rides until more impressive things came along. Pirates and IASW are what I'd consider E-ticket boat rides, and they were built in the 60s! It was too short to be an E then, just like FEA and 7DMT are today.
I dare say it's because it was the parks first ride that went faster than a pedestrian pace and had a drop (oooh). Plus it went backwards (oooooooooohhhh)

MaximumEd

I'd be curious to see old ride capacities vs new ones, too. Wasn't Horizons above 3,000? Have they built a ride with more capacity than that, and if so, when and what? Not sure where you could find the info. @marni1971 probably has it in a file somewhere.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'd be curious to see old ride capacities vs new ones, too. Wasn't Horizons above 3,000? Have they built a ride with more capacity than that, and if so, when and what? Not sure where you could find the info. @marni1971 probably has it in a file somewhere.
Off the top of my head Motion was around 3200 and the WEDway is over 4000. Horizons was just under 3000 I think but I'm at work at the mo. And I don't trust these figures to Wikipedia !

Last edited:

MaximumEd

Thanks for the reply. Considering the speed of WED Way, the numbers for Horizons and WOM are quite incredible. I wonder why WDI doesn't seem keen on approaching these numbers today, considering all time high crowds? Maybe they do, I'm not privy to the numbers of a more modern omni-mover like Mermaid.

EricsBiscuit

To be fair, the newer attraction have nice ride vehicles. Also, the pirates in Shanghai dispatches the same number of boats as in WDW or DL but each boat holds 30 plus people. So not every new attraction has a low capacity.

Edit: pirates is an exception

Last edited:

PizzaPlanet

I dare say it's because it was the parks first ride that went faster than a pedestrian pace and had a drop (oooh). Plus it went backwards (oooooooooohhhh)
Ooooohhhhh you just roasted EPCOT Center! I never would have expected this from you! :hilarious:

But seriously, if Maelstrom was an E-ticket opening day, what made it lose that status? If it's because it was outdated, wouldn't that mean FEA is an E-ticket today by default?

The Empress Lilly

...and because it was the only new ride in WDW in years...?

I missed its opening by a few days, the opening of Maelstrom was delayed past my 1988 mid-June trip. :'(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom