News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

DisneyManOne

It's pretty obvious Disney is going to keep sabotaging their rides (canceling maintenance, letting animatronics and effects stay broken, etc.) in order to get public opinion against those rides so that they can replace them with "highly rated" rides that are shorter, tied to an IP and cost less to operate because no sets or AAs since it's projections. This is a really disgusting practice and I hope more people get hip to this and complain.

Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy could have easily been refurbished with new videos, better AAs, a new story, etc even shortened a bit of need be or made more exciting for a modest budget a decade ago but Disney refused same with Maelstrom. This is a game to get rid of AA heavy richly themed attractions that cost more and aren't able to sell as many toys, shirts and DVDs and don't serve as advertisements for film sequels.

I can tell you right now Journey into Imagination and COPs days are numbered if we don't start letter writing and voting with our wallets now. Maybe even Spaceship earth too.

This. This. A thousand times this. Share this with every Disney fan you know. Join the fight against the corporate fat-cats that cause stuff like this to happen! Down with the Bobs; up with the fans!

Buried20KLeague

It's pretty obvious Disney is going to keep sabotaging their rides (canceling maintenance, letting animatronics and effects stay broken, etc.) in order to get public opinion against those rides so that they can replace them with "highly rated" rides that are shorter, tied to an IP and cost less to operate because no sets or AAs since it's projections. This is a really disgusting practice and I hope more people get hip to this and complain.

Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy could have easily been refurbished with new videos, better AAs, a new story, etc even shortened a bit of need be or made more exciting for a modest budget a decade ago but Disney refused same with Maelstrom. This is a game to get rid of AA heavy richly themed attractions that cost more and aren't able to sell as many toys, shirts and DVDs and don't serve as advertisements for film sequels.

I can tell you right now Journey into Imagination and COPs days are numbered if we don't start letter writing and voting with our wallets now. Maybe even Spaceship earth too.

It's been done before. Look at my namesake.

Herbie

I've tried to book fastpasses for the 13th. Apparently 4:30 is the latest time you can get them now. I really want to be there for the last ride of the night though I'm not sure how to accurately plan that. If you, like me, are devastated at this loss, and will be there on the last day, make sure to give your thanks to the CMs and preferably sing along to Chim Chim Cheree and Follow the Yellow Brick Road!

muddyrivers

Devastated? Really? Over a theme park attraction? Isn't that a bit much of an over-reaction?

Not really when you consider that TGMR has existed since 1989 and has by and large remain untouched. The memories and associations with such an iconic ride are endless for many. Whether the ride itself reminded someone of a happier time, or one of the reenacted scenes reminded someone else of one of their favorite movies, TGMR definitely serves as a very memorable attraction that will certainly affect many to varying degrees.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not really when you consider that TGMR has existed since 1989 and has by and large remain untouched. The memories and associations with such an iconic ride are endless for many. Whether the ride itself reminded someone of a happier time, or one of the reenacted scenes reminded someone else of one of their favorite movies, TGMR definitely serves as a very memorable attraction that will certainly affect many to varying degrees.
Oh, I can certainly see someone being sad or disappointed in this change - but devastated?? No one should be that tied into any theme park attraction - especially when Walt stated that the parks are ever changing - to be devastated by a loss of one of the attractions. It should have been replaced a decade ago.

Herbie

Devastated? Really? Over a theme park attraction? Isn't that a bit much of an over-reaction?

Surely there are other issues for you to nitpick. I'm not going to settle for 'upset' or 'disappointed' just to appease you. I'll be as colorful as I want, thanks.

Again, to address the point of what I actually said... If you care, show your appreciation for the CMs. Judging from social media, a lot of GMR attendees have loved their job, and too many people leave without applauding. Even fewer sing which I'm sure leaves the CM in an awkward position.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Surely there are other issues for you to nitpick. I'm not going to settle for 'upset' or 'disappointed' just to appease you. I'll be as colorful as I want, thanks. Putting too much credence into it.

Again, to address the point of what I actually said... If you care, show your appreciation for the CMs. Judging from social media, a lot of GMR attendees have loved their job, and too many people leave without applauding. Even fewer sing which I'm sure leaves the CM in an awkward position.
Not nitpicking at all. When I see statements like this, I worry about someone's mental health. It is not healthy at all to be so tied to a them park attraction closing, that someone is devastated by it's loss. Sorry, if you were only trying to use colorful language. :angelic:

Oh, and I do agree with you completely to thank the CMs there if you get a chance. :)

Herbie

Not nitpicking at all. When I see statements like this, I worry about someone's mental health. It is not healthy at all to be so tied to a them park attraction closing, that someone is devastated by it's loss. Sorry, if you were only trying to use colorful language. :angelic:

Oh, and I do agree with you completely to thank the CMs there if you get a chance. :)

Admirable of you to be concerned, but I would never shame or call someone's mental health out on social media or even in public really, unless the circumstances seemed dire (although I have called someone a jackass..). That's becoming too much of a thing on both sides of politics these days.

If you catch me crying on Hollywood Blvd, please trust I'm sane. Completely normal occurrence.

Last edited:

willtravel

I think lot's of people are simply happy that WDW is finally getting some love. It was mostly neglected for far too long.
And I do agree with you. I just am not into Star Wars, Avatar, Tron, Frozen. A lot comes down to taste preference. Other than GOTG (being built in wrong park) nothing announced at D23 is of interest to me.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

635947019761888754-1007848162_giphy.gif

comics101

^^This x1000. Heartbreaking to say the least. My favorite vacation destination growing up is no longer what it once was, nor is it what it should be. Further, The Walt Disney Company itself has lost all creativity and innovation. Is there a single future film that is not a reboot or that is not tied to an existing franchise coming out over the course of the next 2-3 years? I've never seen such a weak slate of pictures in all my life. Leadership NEEDS to change, and fast. A new Michael Eisner is needed; someone who loves the products the company creates and who respects the unique history of Disney.

comics101

Yes, devastated. Not so much over the loss of The Great Movie Ride, however. Instead, devastated over what its loss represents. I understand the need for an update to the attraction, in fact I would encourage the ride be updated. I have no problem gutting entire scenes and completely revamping the ride system. Use the tech Uni created for Spider-man and combine it with the new Mickey Mouse tech and create a modern version of The Great Movie Ride, complete with interchangeable scenes and 2 1/2 D effects, Animatronic set pieces and homages to iconic films from the Disney library. Re-imagine what is one of the greatest concepts in dark ride history; turn it into the crown jewel of the park once again. Take a risk. Don't play it safe and cater to the lowest common denominator with Ren and Stimpy animation.

Mike S

what are they going to do with all the AA's from GMR?

especially the witch!
I've already gotten dibs on the Aliens.
I've tried to book fastpasses for the 13th. Apparently 4:30 is the latest time you can get them now. I really want to be there for the last ride of the night though I'm not sure how to accurately plan that. If you, like me, are devastated at this loss, and will be there on the last day, make sure to give your thanks to the CMs and preferably sing along to Chim Chim Cheree and Follow the Yellow Brick Road!
Getting the last ride on Energy is more important to me. Just booked my GMR fastpass for 11:10 AM.
Aren't you acting a bit high and mighty for someone that loves Disney enough to join a forum completely dedicated to it? We're all Disney geeks here.

Get off your high horse.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I've already gotten dibs on the Aliens.

Getting the last ride on Energy is more important to me. Just booked my GMR fastpass for 11:10 AM.

Aren't you acting a bit high and mighty for someone that loves Disney enough to join a forum completely dedicated to it? We're all Disney geeks here.

Get off your high horse.
So you really think that devastated is a proper way to feel about a theme park attraction? Why do you think that’s high and mighty of me?

Yes, I love Disney, but I would never be devastated by any attraction being changed, regardless of how much I enjoy it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom