News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Tom Morrow

It's not. None of the kids in my family like these at all.
A lot of people DO like them. I like them. I know kids that like them. It's just an odd choice to use this style.

The problem is everyone got so used to Mickey being a bland corporate mascot that they think that he should only be his Mickey Mouse Clubhouse version.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

what are they going to do with all the AA's from GMR?

especially the witch!
I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in SWL. Won't look the same, but, it would explain the timing of the GMR closure. The need the animatronics for the show. I would bet that a whole lot of them will make their way back there. Especially for some that don't need much animation, just enough to make one think they are real. When it opens play close attention and if you hear some SW character utter "was it you that killed my sister?", you'll know what happened.

FigmentJedi

I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in SWL. Won't look the same, but, it would explain the timing of the GMR closure. The need the animatronics for the show. I would bet that a whole lot of them will make their way back there. Especially for some that don't need much animation, just enough to make one think they are real. When it opens play close attention and if you hear some SW character utter "was it you that killed my sister?", you'll know what happened.
Nah, the Wicked Witch is gonna get a new outfit and play Gamora at the Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Epcot.

brb1006

The decision to go with the new animation style over the more traditional one in an area that (at least for now) is based on the 1930s & 40s is a bit baffling. I also thought it was a bit weird that they talked about how amazing and catchy this new song is but didn't actually play any of it.
It's currently a work in progress.

FettFan

Go watch Thru the Mirror, Clock Cleaners, and The Mad Doctor and get back to me

tmadoctor33.jpg

Whats this?! Turns out Walt Disney wasn't about mundane "safe" "family friendly" corporate garbage like the current leadership in the company would have you believe!

Just watch the Nostalgia Critic's tribute to Goofy to see how "safe" classic Disney is:

Gomer

It's not. None of the kids in my family like these at all.
My 7 year old thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread and watches them nearly daily. Go figure.

Just shows how useless anecdotal evidence is. I'm guessing Disney knows how popular they are and likely wouldn't use it if they would fail to draw in guests.

As far as the animation style goes, the cherry-picked images in this thread make it out to be far worse than it is. I wasn't a fan of the style in general either at first, but the content of the episodes is some of the best stuff they've done with Mickey in decades so you get over the aesthetic issues pretty quickly if you give it a chance. The shorts are funny, entertaining, and smart. Much better than you'd expect out of typical Disney Channel kids shows these days. I hate that GMR is going, but they could have done a lot worse with the replacement.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

The closing of GMR and Energy do give me the sense that Disney is only focusing on thrill or kiddie rides. It seems like the in-between rides that were a bit mature are being let go, which I think is too bad. The thing is kids are very capable of handling mature material if given the opportunity.

I hope Disney does something again with classic Hollywood. They have incredible memorabilia. Maybe an Oz land and future restaurants could resurrect some of the old pieces. I can dream. I'm sad especially for my mom, MGM was always her favorite. It would have been nice to leave the one iconic attraction. Also surprised they dropped TCM, I heard their cruises are always sell outs.

pumpkin7

I wonder if they'll let the Footlight Parade have one last hurrah with their fountains.

Meh, they've probably rusted shut by now. How long has it been since they worked?

Captain Neo

It's pretty obvious Disney is going to keep sabotaging their rides (canceling maintenance, letting animatronics and effects stay broken, etc.) in order to get public opinion against those rides so that they can replace them with "highly rated" rides that are shorter, tied to an IP and cost less to operate because no sets or AAs since it's projections. This is a really disgusting practice and I hope more people get hip to this and complain.

Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy could have easily been refurbished with new videos, better AAs, a new story, etc even shortened a bit of need be or made more exciting for a modest budget a decade ago but Disney refused same with Maelstrom. This is a game to get rid of AA heavy richly themed attractions that cost more and aren't able to sell as many toys, shirts and DVDs and don't serve as advertisements for film sequels.

I can tell you right now Journey into Imagination and COPs days are numbered if we don't start letter writing and voting with our wallets now. Maybe even Spaceship earth too.

LAM378

I'm surprised by how sad I am about the GMR closing, considering it's not news to me (thanks, thread). On my past few trips I haven't cared much whether I rode it or not, and now I'm kicking myself for the times I didn't ride when I could.

I keep remembering how this is the ride that was proposed for Epcot's entertainment pavilion, but actually inspired a whole new park. It sucks to see it thrown away like trash. This is an attraction that could have lived forever, if only it had been updated every decade or so with a couple new scenes. So many ways they could have breathed new life into it (and gotten a casual fan like me to ride every trip), had they just been willing to spend the money.

The pain will be fresh all over again when we find out that the new Mickey ride is like 3 1/2 minutes long.

backdrop12

I went on this ride and as an actor ( Disney . Call me ;) ), I found the ride to be boring in the way that it was presented with each and every movie that they explained ( including the movie ending ) . I did love the actor antagonist and how he or she interacted with guest / scenes which I want more of in disney attractions . Makes things for the guest more personal and new every time you go on .

The new mickey ride looks very good and fits well with animation courtyard . Seems very innovating and will bring new flair into the park.

I wish there was a ride that was a love letter to old and new films of the day , Learning about the history and passion of movies / directors / artists while making it fun and awesome ( and not feel like a tourist afterthought ) . Something that can make future and prominent people in entertainment .

Disney and Universal seem to be going astray on this matter . As a kid , I went to universal studios / MGM and was in aw with everything about the medium . This in return made me choose my career choice .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom