Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's the new Mickey Mouse ride? THAT?!

Is this a joke????

You know what that THING makes me think of? You guys remember those games that came with your copy of the Lion King and Snow White? You know, Timon and Pumbaa's Safari and Dopey's Wild Mine Ride? And remember how cheap-looking and stupid they were?

Welp, that's pretty much what this new Mickey Mouse ride is. Instead of an iconic new ride based on Disney's signature character with great AAs a la Pirates, what we're getting is an overblown, poorly-located DVD extra!

One can imagine how this joke came about:

ROBERT IGER: We gotta do something about that Great Movie Ride. It costs us a fortune in maintenance and it's showing its age.

LACKEY: Well, we could always gut it and stick in an ill-fitting IP like we did with Frozen Ever After and Guardians of the Galaxy, sir. Of course, we did get a lot of complaints and some bad publicity doing that...

ROBERT IGER: Hmmm, yeah. Tell you what, stick Mickey Mouse in there. Those true-believer saps can't complain about that.

LACKEY: Yes, sir. (Starts to leave)

ROBERT IGER: AND MAKE IT CHEAP!

LACKEY: (hurrying out the door) Yes, SAH, Mr. Iger, SAH!

Look, I happen to like the new Mickey Mouse shorts. I've watched every one Disney's made so far, and with only one or two exceptions, I think they're pretty good. And I know that someone here mentioned that the new ride would feature that particular incarnation of the Mouse. But for some reason, it didn't sink in that THAT version would be the whole show. Frankly, a little of that style goes a long way. (Mickey's drawn off-model far too often in those shorts for my taste. I know it's done for laughs, but still. Why mess so much with the world's greatest character design?) And it should NOT be the definitive version of Mickey for the only ride in all the parks that's built around him! It looks chintzy and tacky. And I agree with another poster here about Goofy in those cartoons. He IS awful. That was brought home to me again when, during the presentation, a clip featured a scene from the cartoon that focuses on Goofy's buttcrack. For crying out loud, Disney, put some pants on that Dawg! Oh, you say that's the way he was originally portrayed, without pants? Well if authenticity is your reason, then your Mickey shouldn't have gloves! Or shoes!

2.jpg

And another thing...how is this ride going to fit into its venue in any way that makes sense? Think about it...you walk into an elegant, glamorous Golden-Age-of-Hollywood movie palace, and the next thing you know you're riding through a tacky TV cartoon. How does this mesh thematically? How does this justify gutting a ride that was for ALL ages and lived up to its lavish exterior? This proposed abomination is a desecration both to that beautiful building and Mickey himself.

Oh well, guess TDO had to save a few bucks because it's spending so lavishly on Star Wars LAND and the Star Wars HOTEL. Not on Walt Disney's greatest character. Why should they spend serious coin on him? He's genuine Disney, part of the Disney vault, or as Iger undoubtedly thinks of it: "That old junk!"

Screw you, Iger. The Mickey ride was the only thing about D23 (that I watched live) I was looking forward to, and it SUCKS. I thought the Guardians intrusion was horrible. This is sacrilege. I can't believe TDO nowadays. I can't believe that so many so-called talented people have such lousy taste. And wasn't it just wonderful of them to use a clip of good ol' Walt to try to justify their crappy priorities.

That's all I have to say. That's a wrap. I need a beer. Thank you and good night.

Finally! A voice of tempered moderation!

wedenterprises

Sad about GMR. But I'm ready to give this a chance. This quote from Walt Disney Imagineer Kevin Rafferty gives me hope:

“This is one of the boldest…most impossible things I’ve ever worked on in almost 40 years of being an Imagineer. And you know what? That’s what I love about it. Well, that, and Mickey,” Kevin said. “This is not going to be a small attraction, it’s going to be game-changing."​

I hope it's huge (using all that space!). I hope it's amazing. Maybe this is a next-generation Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I'm happy that it checks the dark-ride box too. I'm happy about Mickey. I'm happy to hear they are innovating.

I loved the old MGM Studios. Hanging out there just felt cool. It's a different place now, but in the end I feel the attractions will be worth the change.
bingo

BasiltheBatLord

As somebody else said, my hope for this ride is that it will be akin to a "next-generation Toad". I'm willing to give it a fair shot, although the loss of GMR does really sting (an attraction that deserved more than being forgotten and replaced).

I'm not really understanding the negativity about the design. It is kinda lame how they're choosing to date the attraction to a current cartoon series, but it doesn't bother me that much because the design looks pretty similar to classic cartoon Mickey. Were people expecting to see the plastic, Hasbro looking Mickey from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or something? Would that really have been a better choice?

Madame Medusa

People who want 3D models of the classic looks are missing the point that 2D is a VERY important element of this ride and its new technology. The new shorts are the most popular 2D models of the characters now, and their added presence to the parks is actually more unique than the alternative. Let's face it, even though he doesn't have a proper ride the standard Mickey is plastered all over the parks wherever you go. I'm more than happy for a refreshing change.

brb1006

As somebody else said, my hope for this ride is that it will be akin to a "next-generation Toad". I'm willing to give it a fair shot, although the loss of GMR does really sting (an attraction that deserved more than being forgotten and replaced).

I'm not really understanding the negativity about the design. It is kinda lame how they're choosing to date the attraction to a current cartoon series, but it doesn't bother me that much because the design looks pretty similar to classic cartoon Mickey. Were people expecting to see the plastic, Hasbro looking Mickey from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse or something? Would that really have been a better choice?
At least we didn't have to deal with anymore awkward talking ride hosts.

Movielover

That's the new Mickey Mouse ride? THAT?!

Is this a joke????

You know what that THING makes me think of? You guys remember those games that came with your copy of the Lion King and Snow White? You know, Timon and Pumbaa's Safari and Dopey's Wild Mine Ride? And remember how cheap-looking and stupid they were?

Welp, that's pretty much what this new Mickey Mouse ride is. Instead of an iconic new ride based on Disney's signature character with great AAs a la Pirates, what we're getting is an overblown, poorly-located DVD extra!

One can imagine how this joke came about:

ROBERT IGER: We gotta do something about that Great Movie Ride. It costs us a fortune in maintenance and it's showing its age.

LACKEY: Well, we could always gut it and stick in an ill-fitting IP like we did with Frozen Ever After and Guardians of the Galaxy, sir. Of course, we did get a lot of complaints and some bad publicity doing that...

ROBERT IGER: Hmmm, yeah. Tell you what, stick Mickey Mouse in there. Those true-believer saps can't complain about that.

LACKEY: Yes, sir. (Starts to leave)

ROBERT IGER: AND MAKE IT CHEAP!

LACKEY: (hurrying out the door) Yes, SAH, Mr. Iger, SAH!

Look, I happen to like the new Mickey Mouse shorts. I've watched every one Disney's made so far, and with only one or two exceptions, I think they're pretty good. And I know that someone here mentioned that the new ride would feature that particular incarnation of the Mouse. But for some reason, it didn't sink in that THAT version would be the whole show. Frankly, a little of that style goes a long way. (Mickey's drawn off-model far too often in those shorts for my taste. I know it's done for laughs, but still. Why mess so much with the world's greatest character design?) And it should NOT be the definitive version of Mickey for the only ride in all the parks that's built around him! It looks chintzy and tacky. And I agree with another poster here about Goofy in those cartoons. He IS awful. That was brought home to me again when, during the presentation, a clip featured a scene from the cartoon that focuses on Goofy's buttcrack. For crying out loud, Disney, put some pants on that Dawg! Oh, you say that's the way he was originally portrayed, without pants? Well if authenticity is your reason, then your Mickey shouldn't have gloves! Or shoes!

2.jpg

And another thing...how is this ride going to fit into its venue in any way that makes sense? Think about it...you walk into an elegant, glamorous Golden-Age-of-Hollywood movie palace, and the next thing you know you're riding through a tacky TV cartoon. How does this mesh thematically? How does this justify gutting a ride that was for ALL ages and lived up to its lavish exterior? This proposed abomination is a desecration both to that beautiful building and Mickey himself.

Oh well, guess TDO had to save a few bucks because it's spending so lavishly on Star Wars LAND and the Star Wars HOTEL. Not on Walt Disney's greatest character. Why should they spend serious coin on him? He's genuine Disney, part of the Disney vault, or as Iger undoubtedly thinks of it: "That old junk!"

Screw you, Iger. The Mickey ride was the only thing about D23 (that I watched live) I was looking forward to, and it SUCKS. I thought the Guardians intrusion was horrible. This is sacrilege. I can't believe TDO nowadays. I can't believe that so many so-called talented people have such lousy taste. And wasn't it just wonderful of them to use a clip of good ol' Walt to try to justify their crappy priorities.

That's all I have to say. That's a wrap. I need a beer. Thank you and good night.

So.... you're saying you are looking forward to the ride? Got it!

tumblr_mq5j39AbwU1rheyflo1_500.gif

I am Timmy

I was hoping for a more classic feel with the original Mickey Mouse look from the "Mickey's Gala Premier" cartoon to keep with the Hollywood theme. I'm sad they are going in this direction and even sadder that the Great Movie Ride is closing so soon. Thankful my family and I got to ride in the front row just a couple weeks back.
Right? Why is Disney announcing it's closure a MONTH from now?! How are people supposed to get there to enjoy this one last time? They should have announced this a year ago so people could include it in trips they are planning - we will be there in Dec. and I am beyond disappointed.

DeweyDuck

I love the sound of the new Mickey and Minnie ride, I really do think it's going to be great and IMHO, I welcome anything new at Disney with an open mind until I can see it for myself and even then, I'm still pleasantly happy with it. But like everyone, a replacement... Really? Mickey and Minnie deserve more than a replacement. They deserve their own land in the DHS.

I am devastated that I won't be able to ride GMR one last time and feeling a bit annoyed now I moved my holiday from August to November this year :arghh:

ToTBellHop

Right? Why is Disney announcing it's closure a MONTH from now?! How are people supposed to get there to enjoy this one last time? They should have announced this a year ago so people could include it in trips they are planning - we will be there in Dec. and I am beyond disappointed.
Any member of these boards should have been well-aware that it wasn't going to survive through Halloween.

By the time you go, it'll be completely gutted so maybe you can find John Wayne's head in a dumpster. So there's that.

Too soon?

I am Timmy

Any member of these boards should have been well-aware that it wasn't going to survive through Halloween.

By the time you go, it'll be completely gutted so maybe you can find John Wayne's head in a dumpster. So there's that.

Too soon?
I'm not talking about inside information, I'm talking about Disney making an official announcement less than a month before doomsday. DisneyQuest got pushed back, and the sponsorship for GMR isn't supposed to end until 2018, so I could still hope. As for John Wayne's head, I want it.

DisneyFan 2000

Not really getting the negativity about the actual concept. This sounds neat. Is it perfect looking? Not so far, the designs aren't the best choice (but there ARE worse ways to go about this) but this has so much potential to be an amazing headliner. Sad to see GMR go before my homecoming trip but this is one decision I do understand. I don't like it in the least, but I understand. I look forward to hearing more about this project as it rolls along.

DisneyPrincess5

So bittersweet. I will definitely miss GMR. It did desperately need an update. Guess they listened and it's getting one...a permanent one.
It'll be fun to see and experience something new and different. It's nice to see amickey and the gang getting some attention with a ride. I wish it featured a more classic looking cast rather than this triply version but ok.

MJ6987

I think this sounds really fun but does it really need to be another "runaway train / railway" ride? This excludes people like my wife and two daughters who don't like roller coaster type stuff. I get this this will be a "virtual" runaway train rather than an actual physical one but the sensation is still similar (if they do it well) so still won't go on it (e.g.they hated the Simpson's ride at Universal)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think this sounds really fun but does it really need to be another "runaway train / railway" ride? This excludes people like my wife and two daughters who don't like roller coaster type stuff. I get this this will be a "virtual" runaway train rather than an actual physical one but the sensation is still similar (if they do it well) so still won't go on it (e.g.they hated the Simpson's ride at Universal)

This is not going to be a coaster, it is going to be a trackless dark ride like the Ratatouille ride in Paris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom