Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

YodaMan

As much as I don't like "SCREENZ" rides, I'm less concerned in this situation. The ride seems like it will be fairly easy to update in the future. A trackless ride system leaves a customizable path, and loads of screens leaves for customizable projections. If this new style for Mickey loses popularity, I imagine it wouldn't be hard to update the projections to reflect a different appearance for Mickey.

Heck, the whole ride seems pretty updateable. By keeping the Chinese Theater and having a "you're going to a movie premiere" queue/vibe and having vehicles that can travel any path and screens that can project any image, I imagine it would be fairly easy to change the ride over to another IP-based attraction if the need ever arose.

Disney Dad 3000

Been ticked for months because I knew this was coming. I knew there was no saving GMR which could still be a binding ride for the park, But tried to keep an open mind about this.I think the ride could be very interesting, but using the shorts as a basis for Mickey shows a complete lack of thought IMO. The shorts are somewhat amusing, and maybe that's what kids will associate for Mickey, but I highly doubt it. Maybe they'll win me over. Just don't picture this type of Mickey ride has a fit inside the theater.

Stitchon

My first thought: the GMR building is gigantic and this is what they're putting into it? I'm assuming there's associated shopping and dining moving into the building as well, because the scale of the ride vs. Great Movie Ride just seems off.

Second thought: all that wasted space in Hollywood Studios and they choose to take out the Great Movie Ride, one of the most important people-eaters in any park? R.I.P. capacity.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So they basically have 4 attractions rides left in this park until summer 2018..

Yeah, but only for 9 months then they jump to 6 rides. And 12-15 months later, 9 rides.

They still have a fair amount of other attractions... but too many of them have been around too long. Don't know if they can get an update on them in just a few months.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Second thought: all that wasted space in Hollywood Studios and they choose to take out the Great Movie Ride, one of the most important people-eaters in any park?

Mainly cost. Cost of a total refurb. You know how some old coasters get completely new tracks? They would have to have done the same to keep TGMR up to snuff. Or, spend that money to promote a Disney property on a cheaper-to-run ride. They chose the latter.

thepirateking

Sad about GMR. But I'm ready to give this a chance. This quote from Walt Disney Imagineer Kevin Rafferty gives me hope:

“This is one of the boldest…most impossible things I’ve ever worked on in almost 40 years of being an Imagineer. And you know what? That’s what I love about it. Well, that, and Mickey,” Kevin said. “This is not going to be a small attraction, it’s going to be game-changing."​

I hope it's huge (using all that space!). I hope it's amazing. Maybe this is a next-generation Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I'm happy that it checks the dark-ride box too. I'm happy about Mickey. I'm happy to hear they are innovating.

I loved the old MGM Studios. Hanging out there just felt cool. It's a different place now, but in the end I feel the attractions will be worth the change.

MerlinTheGoat

Even if I ignore the loss of the GMR, I still can't get excited for this. A Mickey ride is an awesome and long overdue idea with amazing potential. But every new detail i've heard has continually driven me away.

I'm not a fan of certain stylistic choices in the new Mickey cartoon. The base designs aren't bad and harken back to his vintage appearance, and I even like some of the background art, but the faces are often given exaggerated, grotesque and disturbing Ren and Stimpy expressions. The movement also has that janky and cheap looking flash-looking animation common in modern 2D cartoons.

I also don't like rides that are comprised entirely of video screens with barely any (or no) physical scenery or animatronics. This includes rides like Toy Story Mania or Ratatouille. Mickey sounds like it's going to fit that exact description, which concerns me. MansionButler did mention there would be some integration of physical scenery, but we shall see how much. No AA's apparently, which sucks...

My personal thoughts about what I hoped the ride had been (hiding it behind a spoiler in case people don't care to read armchair imagineering)-

I was hoping for a ride kind of similar to the concept from the 90s video game Mickey Mania - The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse. It's a celebration of Mickey's cartoon history and each level is based on one of his classic cartoons. Steamboat Willie, The Mad Doctor, Moose Hunters, Lonesome Ghosts, Mickey and the Beanstalk, The Band Concert and The Prince and the Pauper. Steamboat Willie level had a really neat gimmick where the level begins in black and white, the screen is bordered on the sides by a film reel and there are some film blotch artifacts. Those fade as the level progresses, and gradually the level changes to color. Would make for a cool sort of digitally mapped effect mixed into practical scenery. They obviously don't have to use these same shorts for the ride itself, except Steamboat Willie lol (there are arguably better choices than some of the levels in this game). But just the general concept of travelling through iconic classic scenes of Mickey's career.

There are a lot of classic iconic Mickey Mouse cartoons that would be wonderful to see recreated in a ride with physical sets and animatronics. They could have even given GMR a run for its money had they gone all-out. The idea they decided to go with instead just sounds like wasted potential. I'm not even sure if i'm interested in this as a standalone experience (had it been a new build).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom