Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

brb1006

Imagine the rotating screens in the original Universe of Energy from 1982. The Imagineers using 70s and 80s technology accomplished more impressive attractions with layers of practical and digital effects.

According to @whylightbulb, this clip shows the least impressive part of the ride. Since I've only heard more about it and haven't seen concept art, I'll take his word for it. But the cheaply, badly animated art style really is a tragic IP decision from Iger. I think everyone was hoping for Mickey across the decades.
I've seen cheaper animation in Canadian cartoons.

TJJohn12

Thank you, danlb_2000 and TJJohn12 like I said I was sure I missed it.

It's an avalanche of news - but @marni1971 has pretty much confirmed for a few months now that the Chinese Theatre facade was staying untouched.

As far as the new vs. old Mickey, I love them both for different reasons. The cheeky and subversive humor of the current shorts reminds me of the first few years of Mickey's career. So I'm stoked at a crashing drive-through version of something akin to the frantic pace of "Get A Horse."

No Name

This is odd, because never has a ride used 2-D-style characters. The characters are always three-dimensional-looking in rides, because, well, we're three dimensional. And life's three dimensional.

I can't imagine feeling part of the story with these versions of Mickey and Minnie. I fear that it'll be like watching a Mickey short while you move around.

Personally I would much much much rather the "Hiya, pal!" Mickey Mouse Clubhouse version. I could envision a much more engaging ride.

Jeremy P

This is for late 2019 right? Also this was by far the most confusing announcement of the day. The whole description and art shown just didn't seem to make sense imo so I'm happy hear it didn't do it justice.
I'm curious as to the timeline as well. I know it'll be a demolish of the inside and then the new ride system will have to be built but as it seems this ride will be using a lot of flat, white set pieces, I can't imagine this taking almost 2 1/2 years. In my head, I'm picturing late 2018/early 2019. @marni1971

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm curious as to the timeline as well. I know it'll be a demolish of the inside and then the new ride system will have to be built but as it seems this ride will be using a lot of flat, white set pieces, I can't imagine this taking almost 2 1/2 years. In my head, I'm picturing late 2018/early 2019. @marni1971
I'm anticipating around 25-ish months away.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Toy Story Midway Mania third track took 20 months.

Goofyernmost

I never seen that many people divided over the Mickey Mouse design until now. Most people didn't really mind the look since 2013 until the announcement. And some of the new shorts are actually good to watch. I loved the one where it was set in The Netherlands and Potatoland.
Well, it is just a cartoon drawing. If people reject it all that have to do is break out an eraser and redo the damn thing.

Mike S

I have seen some of the latest mock ups and proof of concepts as well as concept art and trust me when I say that most everyone that is negative on this ride will be eating their words. I do agree that the style of Mickey is the wrong choice but it is a mandate from corporate.
But, but, SCREENZ!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
I am a proponent of change... but in a park that is already limited by major construction... why the hell didn't they start the closure & construction AFTER Toy Story land opens next summer?!?!
Because they wanted this open alongside Star Wars Land. Just the way it is sadly.
Ah yes, the beloved day-glow cardboard cutouts. I just don't get no more high tech that that there!
In line for that right now here in Disneyland. It's fun and classic.

Goofyernmost

But, but, SCREENZ!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Because they wanted this open alongside Star Wars Land. Just the way it is sadly.

In line for that right now here in Disneyland. It's fun and classic.
Not saying it isn't... but then again so are roadside carnivals. It was OK but certainly not the quality I had come to expect from Disney, especially Walt. However, Walt kind of had a sense about how to mix up things to make it interesting for everybody. Not necessarily that everybody would like everything, but, that everybody would find things that they liked. I'm about three years older now then Walt was when he passed away and I'm pretty sure that nothing I have ever done is going to be discussed at all after I am gone. So I will bow to his superior ability on that front.

Andy_0410

Ok so a bit off topic but I'm intrigued
The GMR is closing in roughly 30 days
Anyone got a fast pass for this ride into late August/early September? As wouldn't they have been available for resort guests?
Did we all miss something?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom