A Spirited Valentine ...

Princess Leia

I really hope this isn't canon.
Why? Rey's shorts happen before and during TFA, Jyn's before Rogue One, and Leia's seem to be during and after the original trilogy (I'm assuming that Padmé's will be during the Clone Wars, but it'd be nice to see her lead Naboo again). Nothing is really going to change drastically.

HMF

Why? Rey's shorts happen before and during TFA, Jyn's before Rogue One, and Leia's seem to be during and after the original trilogy (I'm assuming that Padmé's will be during the Clone Wars, but it'd be nice to see her lead Naboo again). Nothing is really going to change drastically.
I am shocked Padme gets anything since Disney's mode of operating recently has been pretending nothing other than the original trilogy and anything made by them, exists.

The Mom

Premium Member
It is different for everyone. But, for me, 27 was when I truly felt like an adult. ... I do realize that due to the economy and changing demos that many 20 and 30-something are sorta 'children' long after they should be -- especially those in Orlando!

27 was tougher on me than 30 and 35 ... and, with one exception, 40. But, again, it all depends on the individual and what is going on in your life at the time.
Wait until you hit 50 - that was my toughest birthday. Of course it might have had to do with my son having surgery first thing in the morning in one hospital, my father having surgery at noon in another (just across the river from each other, thank God) and stopping off at a funeral at a church halfway between them. I brought my son home, got my neighbor to stay with him, went to the funeral and continued on to the hospital to sit with my mother and stay until my dad was settled in his room.

But, you can't tell from this picture taken a few months later. ;)

FigmentJedi

I really hope this isn't canon.
Everything new that isn't mobile shovelware, Star Tours, or Lego is canon now.

I am shocked Padme gets anything since Disney's mode of operating recently has been pretending nothing other than the original trilogy and anything made by them, exists.
Lucasfilm themselves have been continually stressing that isn't really the case and that ignoring the prequels was more of Simon Pegg and JJ's own prerogatives. Like JJ is so petty about the prequels that he had Podracer flags removed from Maz's Castle because a few background elements suddenly made that establishing shot "all about podracing". It's also why JJ refused to explain anything about the political situation of the galaxy because that sounds too much like the prequels.

HMF

Lucasfilm themselves have been continually stressing that isn't really the case and that ignoring the prequels was more of Simon Pegg and JJ's own prerogatives. Like JJ is so petty about the prequels that he had Podracer flags removed from Maz's Castle because a few background elements suddenly made that establishing shot "all about podracing". It's also why JJ refused to explain anything about the political situation of the galaxy because that sounds too much like the prequels.
I have nothing but contempt for JJ Abrams and especially Simon Pegg. In a just world, They should not have been allowed anywhere near the Creative direction for Star Wars. I am just glad he isn't directing the next one or I would just expect a paint-by-numbers re-telling of The Empire Strikes Back.

mickeyfan5534

Isn't Padme considered one of the best parts of the prequels? When she's on her own and playing politics, I'm pretty sure she's getting far more done than the Jedi. Give me a West Wing style Padme series.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Characters are like ice cream, a few of them are fine, but they crossed the line there. Whoa.

I hope an assembly like that never happens again. Walt Disney World should keep it classy for the 50th, the big cheese and a few others. It should be about the park, not the characters.

Though I guess I could just ride attractions while this would be going on! :D

Boo

That kind of thing plays exactly to the "character hunt" that Disney has nurtured over the years by holding characters back. Disney could do that every 5 years and people would probably pay for it as a headliner. It's not for everyone... but that doesn't mean it has no value.

mickeyfan5534

Also, let me get this straight. We're getting an original series of shorts centered around some of the most amazing women in fiction, plus a toy line and other spin off material. With as much of the original talent (including A-listers like Felicity Jones and Lupita Nyong'o) as they could get. And that's a bad thing?

Oh yeah. It's because it's Star Wars. I got ya!

Bairstow

Haw! That's awesome. Abrams is a man after my own heart.

Princess Leia

http://www.starwars.com/news/rey-ah...-wars-forces-of-destiny-animated-micro-series

Based on the book cover, it looks like Padme's story will probably be based on her senator days. I just wish that they picked a different outft? It's pretty similar to Leia's (also Rey- unless this is their way of saying that Rey's descended from Padme).

I'm really happy about this. Disney is really stepping up their inclusion game for Star Wars (now if they could only do the same for Marvel).

brb1006

Characters are like ice cream, a few of them are fine, but they crossed the line there. Whoa.

I hope an assembly like that never happens again. Walt Disney World should keep it classy for the 50th, the big cheese and a few others. It should be about the park, not the characters.

Though I guess I could just ride attractions while this would be going on! :D
But I actually enjoyed it.

lazyboy97o

Also, let me get this straight. We're getting an original series of shorts centered around some of the most amazing women in fiction, plus a toy line and other spin off material. With as much of the original talent (including A-listers like Felicity Jones and Lupita Nyong'o) as they could get. And that's a bad thing?

Oh yeah. It's because it's Star Wars. I got ya!
It's more a singular, melodramatic attachment to the prequel trilogy.

Rodan75

for new ships...I've always assumed one would be called the Disney Marvel since it can have a double meaning, I don't like Spirit because it has been used for too many other cruise lines.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So I just debriefed a coworker who was at the world for the last week. He is a 'disney is awesome' guy.. he doesn't study it, he just thinks the WDW experience is incredible and Disney is magic.. kind of guy. He has two kids (4 and 8) so he is prime demographic. He pays for a deluxe, he buys the dining plan.. he uses a travel agent. Disney's prime type of customer. When I talk to him about the realities that I know of and my longer term experiences with Disney, it usually falls on deaf ears because he doesn't have the same perspective.

Anyway.. chatted today after he's back from a stay at AKL in a savannah view DVC room. First thing he talked about? How awful the buses were.. like.. almost ruin my vacation type of tale. Waiting 40mins for a bus.. or stories like 'bus service started at 4pm to DS, but first bus didn't show until 4:30, and with traffic we didn't get to DS until almost 5:30'. Remember, this is the guy who just pays to make problems go away.. and his take away was "AKL was cool, but I'll never stay there again due to the buses". And it wasn't just 'at park close', but problems moving between locations.. problems moving between resorts.. complaints about the AK bus sharing stops with the water parks and of course the different AK stops. It also took them more than 2hrs to get to his resort on Magical Express due to slow boarding and multiple drop offs. Arriving at 1am after a 2hr ME experience was not a great kickoff for his vacation.

He didn't do parkhoppers, and actually said he was glad he didn't, because he felt like he would never be able to use them due to how long it was taking to get anywhere with the buses.

My takeaway from my visit the week prior was I was amazed by how bad traffic has gotten around property now, even during the normal daytime hours.. where are all these people coming/going ??? Driving on property used to be an easy alternative because it was pretty much carefree except at park closing.

But was shocking to me was this was the first time this guy has ever been anything but 'Disney can do no wrong'. The conversation was really he was talking about NOT going back to WDW after this experience. The transportation issues drug his enjoyment of his trip down that bad.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Outside of Phantom Menace, they're good flicks. However, nothing beats the heights the Empire had. TFA was a pretty close second though, and yes it followed a lot of story beats from A New Hope but guess what? That's The Hero's Journey and 99.999% of good vs. evil stories follow that format.

'followed' a lot of beats? It was 1 degree away from 'direct rip off'. It really hurt the film instead of being nods to the source material.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom