The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My experience is that pretreating is just a way for politicians to make you think they care. I have never seen when it was even a little useful. That's true especially here. The ground never freezes, heat rises and does the same thing as the alleged brine treatment is said to do. But, it gives a false sense of preparation to the populace. (And it's cheap as it isn't much more then water and salt.)

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation would disagree with some of your comments. They have a lot of experience in this area (as does Vermont, for that matter). The grid on that link is interesting as well.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/SnowIce/WinterRoadTreatmentSnowRemoval.aspx

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Today I got a raise, and tomorrow is Half-day Friday...!!!!!!! :joyfull: :joyfull: :joyfull:

u2IcQXT.gif

donaldtoo

Wow that is beautiful. And all these years all I thought Texas had were tumbleweeds. :p

Hahaaa...! It is indeed beautiful, thanks...! :)
There's actually A LOT of geographical diversity here in Texas.
From the central Texas hill country, the piney woods of east Texas, the plains of north Texas (although, Palo Duro Canyon is up near Amarillo), the dessert and mountains of west Texas (including Guadalupe Peak at 8,750 ft., and Big Bend National Park), to hundreds of miles of coastline and beaches, etc....!!! :)

Just a coupla' more pics of the hill country.
This is the bridge I drive across on my commute to and from the office...

image.jpeg

We even have some trees that do this in the fall... ;)

image.jpeg

And, just a few more random shots... :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Goofyernmost

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation would disagree with some of your comments. They have a lot of experience in this area (as does Vermont, for that matter). The grid on that link is interesting as well.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/Departments/SnowIce/WinterRoadTreatmentSnowRemoval.aspx
There was a key phrase in that report concerning brine... "must be timed correctly". Therein lies the problem. The timing of application actually depends more on availability of people and equipment to apply it to the highway systems. Around here they will place it at least 24 hours previous to the event, sometimes more. What that leaves is tiny white stripes of salt on the pavement. Also our warmer climate here is such that it usually rains before it turns into snow. When it rains it literally washes what little salt is there to begin with off the pavement and onto a place rendering it useless. Also it depends on how much ice and snow that a particular area gets. For a blizzard like this weeks, it is totally ineffective. The process cannot keep up with the speed of the downfall. Also around here they tend to wait until the snow event is over before they even attempt to get out an clear it out. So, it really amounts to zero usefulness as far as I can see.

MySmallWorldof4

Hahaaa...! It is indeed beautiful, thanks...! :)
There's actually A LOT of geographical diversity here in Texas.
From the central Texas hill country, the piney woods of east Texas, the plains of north Texas (although, Palo Duro Canyon is up near Amarillo), the dessert and mountains of west Texas (including Guadalupe Peak at 8,750 ft., and Big Bend National Park), to hundreds of miles of coastline and beaches, etc....!!! :)

Just a coupla' more pics of the hill country.
This is the bridge I drive across on my commute to and from the office...

View attachment 194202

We even have some trees that do this in the fall... ;)

View attachment 194203

And, just a few more random shots... :)

View attachment 194204
View attachment 194205
View attachment 194206
View attachment 194207
Wow! I had no idea it was the scenic there! Thanks for the pictures! :)

MySmallWorldof4

:confused:
Yep, wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that...! ;) :)
More and more folks are finding out, and our population and economy are booming. But, that also means it's startin' to get a bit crowded down here these days, and with all the fun that comes with that... :cyclops:

;)
We had considered moving there 2 or 3 years ago, but realized we knew no one there and family would probably never visit. I also have a fear of tornadoes although everyone I have ever spoken to that lived in tornado alley never saw one. :confused:

donaldtoo

:confused:
We had considered moving there 2 or 3 years ago, but realized we knew no one there and family would probably never visit. I also have a fear of tornadoes although everyone I have ever spoken to that lived in tornado alley never saw one. :confused:

We usually get tornado warnings and watches fairly frequently during the spring, but, I can only remember one (in the 40+ years we've been back here) in our area back in '97 that caused a fatality (actually a friend of a guy I used to work with), southwest of Austin.
I've actually seen a tornado up close...!!!!! :eek:
Several years ago, I was at the office and we were under a warning. I was at my computer, and all of a sudden heard small debris (leaves, twigs, etc.) hitting my office window (our building overlooks a valley at the back where my office is), I looked up and out the window, and there it was, about 50 yards (which is about halfway between our building and a neighborhood that starts on the one side of the valley behind us) away...probably an EF-0 :hilarious:, but it was definitely a tornado, and ended up strengthening a bit down the road to cause some minor damage. I saw some in the form of 2 cedar trees down in the northbound lanes of the road that goes through the neighborhood, that I used to use as a shortcut before it became gated. :rolleyes: ;)
I have a theory that the hills tend to break up most of those systems before they can get too crazy, tornado-wise. :cyclops: ;)

I can definitely understand the family aspect, though. That could be difficult.
On the other hand, they might visit and then want to move down this way, as well.
Definitely wouldn't be the first time I've heard that 'round here, either...! :D ;) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom