The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Nice memories. Me <------- it would have been kill me NOW!!! Thankfully my Dad had the attitude of he did a lifetime of camping in the service, not ever doing that again. Thanks Dad.

My memories of south Florida. Each spring. Hollywood Fl.
24f1aa16612b6ee1e4a33e6d242cae47.jpg

Hotel
7f69b5926f4dd7c7b813b2140fac1301.jpg

We'd walk to Johnson Street each evening along the beach for Italian Ice and Jump on the in ground trampolines surrounded by unprotected concrete. :jawdrop: Very similar to this.
Trampolining,+1960+(3).jpg
j
Before the days of liability and risk management...

Lunch at Morrison's Cafeterias. Real good food at very reasonable prices.
9d6b0396f05d26a80705bde7468aa5aa.jpg

We have a very similar place in a dicier place in Chicago near Union Station called Manny's Deli that has been there for decades. A wondrous Jewish place. Bare bones but awesome food. Brings back Florida memories for me of my childhood.

Our hotel had a Lum's. Dang I loved their Roast beef. We could just walk from the pool 100 feet and get what we wanted.
a2ce4c373b38ce3827a9acb31e815539.jpg

Rafts in the ocean and every hotel had shuffle board
_c017601.jpg
ARS-EuroCourt2.gif

My Dad a contractor who had a slower time in Spring before commercial build season ramped up took a break each spring. He pulled us from school every spring for around a month or so, took all our books and we'd take a break at the heat of the day and do all our school work. We always came back ahead of the class, we kept up.
But I think my love of Florida was deeply rooted from toddlerhood.

Yep, the best of memories, and I wouldn't ever trade them for any others...it's part of who I am, just as yours are the best of memories, and a part of you...! :)

Cheers to good memories...!!!!! :joyfull: :happy: ;) :)

image.jpeg

donaldtoo

thats.. insane... I guess that is going to be 10 million or more?

At least.
That is a "bear cave" below and between the pool and house that will have windows looking into the pool below water level. It has a media room/game area, conference room, office, and bathroom.
And, that is also a cabana right next to the pool with a swim -up bar.
And yes, the front-ish view shows an 8-car garage complex with glass doors...he has a car collection.
None of this is really out of the norm for our firm, these days, I just don't post nearly every project we do, 'cause even I would get annoyed...!!! :bored: ;)

donaldtoo

I love your pictures--that was a real step back in time. Also, I always liked tray service restaurants like the one you shared. Don't know why that style of restaurant fell out of favor over the years--not too many left anymore.

Funny, when the kiddos were young we used to go to our local Luby's cafeteria pretty often.
Awesome deliciousness...!!! :hungry:
Unfortunately, it's been closed for years now. :(

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yep, wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard that...! ;) :)
More and more folks are finding out, and our population and economy are booming. But, that also means it's startin' to get a bit crowded down here these days, and with all the fun that comes with that... :cyclops:

;)
Tell me about it! After 9/11 I saw a few new houses going up and some of the vacation bungalows not far from me were turned into year round homes.:mad:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Good morning, my dh is going to work today but he's picking up a couple of people who can only sled down to the main road. One of them is going to try and get down the hill on a large sheet of cardboard.:eek: That should be quite a sight an overweight middle aged man sledding:hilarious: Who says the work ethic is dead?:rolleyes: It's currently in the teens and the boys are still home:grumpy: :mad: Tonight's dinner groundhog etouffee with Pinot Noir:D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Funny, when the kiddos were young we used to go to our local Luby's cafeteria pretty often.
Awesome deliciousness...!!! :hungry:
Unfortunately, it's been closed for years now. :(

I think between your recollections and that of @Gabe1 's, part of what I miss about the older cafeteria models was just the interaction between the customers and the food staff behind the counters. @Cesar R M , with a buffet style restaurant, the customer pays a fixed price and self-serves from a buffet section. There's nothing technically "wrong" with that in itself, and buffet restaurants are sometimes the way to go, under certain circumstances.

For me, maybe it's just a small thing; but the loss of so many of these cafeteria style restaurants is just another example of the impersonal trend in our society. This evolving trend filters into other businesses such in some supermarkets and in places like Lowes & CVS. There are self-service checkouts in both. I refuse to go to those, and have actually waited in line for a "live" person at the regular checkout line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom