A Spirited Valentine ...

ryguy

I for one am happy '74 is back and posting more. He is one of the main reasons I frequent these boards. The way he views Disney is pretty dead on as to the way I see the company being run. I like his realism and tough love, works for me.

The last 20 years for Disney World has been pretty dismal, maybe not in the spread sheets, but every where else a train wreck. For those of us who have been going to Disney regularly for the last 30-40 years we see the difference, and it's not for the better. It's a shadow of its former self. I view Disney World like a friend with a drug problem, you love them, want to support them, make them better, but unless they are willing to get help themselves there's nothing you can do really.

The company needs a visionary at the helm, not another bean counter. Walt and Roy relationship was perfect, one was forward thinking, the other the bean counter. Seems like that should be the model going forward.

Here's a classic example:
If you asked 1000 guests if they think Disney should build more monorail track, how many guests out of 1000 do you think would say yes? I can tell you back in 2000 when I worked in market research we had this very question. I don't remember anyone saying no. Another question was about a pod system to get you around the property, even more excited were the people. What are we getting 20 years later? A goofy gondola system? Really??? They have actual data from guests telling them what they want, and totally disregard what the people truly want. Why? Because some turd total them it was expensive. Disney PRINTS MONEY EVERYDAY at the parks. Give the people what they want.

Corporate had no problem spending 2 billion on a program (Magic Bands/MDE) nobody asked for or really wanted. Every decision is about the profit margin, and it gets old. I understand the return on the investment on the monorail stinks, but sometimes you have to do things that aren't in the best interest of the check book, to keep your clients, guest, customers happy.

While I am hot, bring back resort specific soap and shampoo for crying out loud. I don't want H20. I want bottles and wrappers that say the Polynesian on them or whatever resort I am at. :banghead: Curse you bean counters.

BrianLo

Wait... what? This just randomly happened and I never noticed! I mean I was aware of the plans to move it a couple of years back, those were canned when they scaled back Fantasyland's build out (and not due to some SAR conspiracy, but as OLC stated, construction costs and availability of labor have skyrocketed since Tokyo was granted the Olympics). So are they doing a move as in just slightly altering its current position or leaving it as is and updating whats there? I doubt they'll be able to totally demolish and rebuild it within the 18 months it's supposed to be closed.

The facilities behind the show building are behing removed. The current facade sits flush with pooh and the queen of hearts cafeteria. The pink line is where it will be pushed back to.

I agree it just suddenly 'happened'. Obviously they really needed to rebuild this for other reasons if they've still gone ahead with a rebuild.

img_2198-png.177453

NearTheEars

Masking your rather obvious envy of @WDW1974 with passive aggressive responses will not gain you whatever type of status you are seeking.

Your continued clamoring about journalism, (and specifically 74's method of it), exposes your true effort to derail what you perceive as a threat, or simply someone who is better at it, (journalism), or at least willing to put the info out there. And by that, Im referring to the popularity of the info he puts out, regardless of it being right or wrong. Perhaps it is the high number of page views his threads get or the recognition he receives for his efforts that has created this malice you so feverishly camouflage as "journalistic integrity". Fear not though, as you may one day put forth information that you allege you have access to and get those clicks you desire,....and maybe even your own Angie!!!! Please note, this is not a defense of 74, he can do that quite well on his own. Im just trying to help you move through this emotional cycle. Ill await your denial.

Or, you could just be a troll sent by, "The Brand"

I wouldn't call what @WDW1974 does journalism. Maybe once you strip away the layers of opinion and (often deserved) snark.

I don't know what to call it really, but in the end, the information is definitely appreciated. And typically quite reliable.

Figments Friend

Corrus, I totally forgot about that dude :joyfull: Good memory.

Yeah, I had a retro moment flashback when the name came up.
I remember him well.

This also reminded me of several very lively posters who used to be here on the Forum in days of yore but over the years have dissapeared.

Most had interesting things to say, a couple may have gone off the rails a little, but all of them made the threads here quite entertaining no matter how you viewed their own opinions in matters.
They definitely added entertainment value to many a topic.

I remember having a rather rude clash with one of them in particular when I first joined this Forum in 2004.
I had posted some genuine concerns of mine regarding the current state of Epcot after a recent visit at the time and this person pounced on me claws beared in a rather harsh way.
It all ended well however, as I said a few more things to bring the aggression down a notch.
It prompted a Mod to step in and praise my 'diffusing' attitude in the actual thread at the time.
A lousy way to be welcomed to a Forum, but I appreciated the aknowledgment from the Mod.

These personalities of yore I recall were -

Thrawn
Mousermerf
Epcot Explorer
General Grizz.

Ahhh....nostalgic WDWMagic days.....

:angelic:

-

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

I for one am happy '74 is back and posting more. He is one of the main reasons I frequent these boards. The way he views Disney is pretty dead on as to the way I see the company being run. I like his realism and tough love, works for me.

The last 20 years for Disney World has been pretty dismal, maybe not in the spread sheets, but every where else a train wreck. For those of us who have been going to Disney regularly for the last 30-40 years we see the difference, and it's not for the better. It's a shadow of its former self. I view Disney World like a friend with a drug problem, you love them, want to support them, make them better, but unless they are willing to get help themselves there's nothing you can do really.

The company needs a visionary at the helm, not another bean counter. Walt and Roy relationship was perfect, one was forward thinking, the other the bean counter. Seems like that should be the model going forward.

Here's a classic example:
If you asked 1000 guests if they think Disney should build more monorail track, how many guests out of 1000 do you think would say yes? I can tell you back in 2000 when I worked in market research we had this very question. I don't remember anyone saying no. Another question was about a pod system to get you around the property, even more excited were the people. What are we getting 20 years later? A goofy gondola system? Really??? They have actual data from guests telling them what they want, and totally disregard what the people truly want. Why? Because some turd total them it was expensive. Disney PRINTS MONEY EVERYDAY at the parks. Give the people what they want.

Corporate had no problem spending 2 billion on a program (Magic Bands/MDE) nobody asked for or really wanted. Every decision is about the profit margin, and it gets old. I understand the return on the investment on the monorail stinks, but sometimes you have to do things that aren't in the best interest of the check book, to keep your clients, guest, customers happy.

While I am hot, bring back resort specific soap and shampoo for crying out loud. I don't want H20. I want bottles and wrappers that say the Polynesian on them or whatever resort I am at. :banghead: Curse you bean counters.

Good to see you again :)

I agree- the nickel and diming is so noticeable in Florida. And the next head of the ship needs to be a creative visionary and not a bean counter.

Slightly off topic but it greatly bothers me that the "Walt Disney pictures" opening credit before every animated film has been downgraded to "Disney". I get it, and I know the stupid PR reasons why and blah blah but it really hits home that Disney has become a brand and corporation rather than an extension of the family unit. It's changed the way I view the opening credits and, granted the castle highlights and sparkly things are nice, nothing beats seeing the original (and correct way of opening a Disney film). Another little thing that's been chewed on by current management. All to promote the brand.

Well- I guess it worked. I now see the name Disney as a brand. Yay?

Which is one reason why we are now located within 30 minutes of WDW. (Would be much shorter if we didn't have to drive on I4.)

Granted it is not the main reason (job relocation, then selection), but it sure was a discussion point.

I'm escaping as soon as I can!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We had a rather lively and aggressive bunch here in the days of yore.
The Forums are still lively, but the attitude in general has shifted.

Before, it used to be taboo to 'bash Disney'.
Now, anything goes.

-

IMHO it's not 'bashing Disney' to expect them to live up to the quality and service standards they set for THEMSELVES i'm not going to expect Six Flags or my local 'Trolley Park' (amusement parks built at the end of a trolley line) to match and exceed Disney standards, I AM going to call out Disney when they do stuff at or below the level of Six Flags or my local 'Trolley Park'

And it's freaking pathetic that to see a Disney park run the way WDW used to be run you need to travel to Japan and visit Disney parks NOT OWNED BY DISNEY.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Travel to Japan is a RECOMMENDED exercise, Japan is so beautiful and the people are wonderful especially if you TRY to learn some common words and phrases. Westerners in general have much to learn from Japan who had a modern civilization while most Europeans were living in caves and mud huts. It's a world where the ancient and the ultramodern coexist and complement each other.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just to add a bit of reason, you've heard lots of talk about WDW adding this or doing that and ... I wouldn't get your hopes up that all you hear is going to come to pass. Things are finally happening (but, hey, Iger has only been big boss since 2006 -- but really sorta 2005), but if Disney did everything you're reading about the bill would likely come to between $5-7 billion. Disney is going to spend in the swamps, but not close to that.

I would think y'all have to know that in your minds.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spent the day at MK and the wait times looked like a day that in the past would have had phase closings.

By afternoon, the mountains were 90-140 min, Mansion was 90, Pirates was an hour, Jungle Cruise was 100+, the Fantasyland dark rides were an hour or two. Dumbo and Barnstormer were 75. Peoplemover's line was all the way to the edge of the Tomorrowland Speedway.

The Dwarfs ride was 60-70 min by 8:10 although the crowds didn't really pick up until 11 or so.

I know it's Spring Break, but I don't think I've ever seen wait times like those outside of July 4 or New Years. I glanced at Epcot's times and they were just as bad - Mission: Space was over an hour, Test Track was 140, Living with the Land and Figment(!) were both an hour.

Has FP+ impacted wait times and crowd distribution *that* much? I can't recall ever seeing Figment, much less Peoplemover, with a line like that except for New Years Eve.

Best part of our day was lunch at Kona Cafe. Annual passholder discount, getting away from the park crowds, good food for not much more than what we would've spent for a counter service in MK - well worth the monorail trip to the Poly. (Closing the express loop from 11:30-6 isn't especially good; how long is that going to last?)

Rhetorical question, sorta: why are the mics and speakers for spieling CMs so bad? Jungle Cruise, GMR, even the ferry boats - shouldn't the speakers in those attractions be considered the highest priority? Are the CMs just not adequately trained in enunciating into the microphones?

Oh, and the Muppets American history thing is one of the best things added to the WDW parks this century. Not even exaggerating.

O-Town is busy right now. Also, lots of flights were canceled by the blizzard extending visits by a day or two (or more) for many folks. FP+ just takes a bad situation and makes it worse as well know ... as we knew years ago.

Kona was great for me a few weeks ago too. And we took a CM friend, so the discount was 40% making it a quality meal at a downright cheap price.

Mics apparently are not on the regular schedule for work. We had a great JC skipper in February, but you could barely hear her and it wasn't on her -- it was the lousy mic.

And on the Muppets, 100% agree. Love, love, love them.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think this is worth noting. You have taken a more positive spin lately. But they are also pumping millions into the resort, so it would be a little hard not to see a little bit of sunshine.

I just call them as I see them. I want to see more good than bad, of course. But the reality has to be there. ... I see all sorts of positives at WDW right now (from RoL and DAK After Dark to all the new entertainment both at DAK and MK to truly improved dining at restaurants that have always been great -- like California Grill, Jiko and Artist Point to the great new dining at DS to even the redone villas at DAK Lodge, one place where they didn't rip out all the theming and go with the IKEA look to giving APers meaningful discounts to finally making PotC and BTMRR look great etc etc). But people love and thrive on the negative, whether it is in the news or here.

As to the millions being spent, much is being misspent. Other things may be needed, but I hate them just the same. To see the deforestation happening all over WDW is incredibly sad to be on a very basic level. Because being in my 40s (for some reason, most here picture me as over 60 or even 70 ... scary!) I am old enough to recall WDW before traffic lights and when buses only existed at FW and for the Hotel Plaza, when you drove through forests for miles to get to the WDW Auto Plaza. To see how many Before Walt trees are being cut down for roads and overpasses and cloverleafs is one thing that old dead guy would not have agreed with.

And it is only needed because of greedy, incompetent haphazard development (largely over the last 20 years, maybe 25).

I've said it before, I appreciate your posts for the news value they bring. The tone/delivery is not my cup of tea, but it's just something I've learned to deal with. You know what you're trying to accomplish and you're quite successful.

Yes, I am. And thanks for appreciating what I post. You know I will never apologize for my delivery because I realize it works much better than others.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'd think the solution would be building a DVC property in Newport Beach (one was actually announced for there back in 1994) or Huntington Beach. The ocean is a destination unto itself, and it's close-enough to Disneyland to not have the problems of a stand-alone resort.

Certainly would've been a smarter/safer bet than Aulani.

They got cold feet and sold to Marriott and there is a very high end Marriott Vacation Club on the Newport Beach land that was sold off. Much like the one overlooking Golf Disney at DLP (where I have stayed in a spectacular grand villa that I wanted to move into!) ... People forget, or don't know, that DVC was supposed to be a national/international project, not a WDW Timeshare Kingdom. They had land eyeballed from the White Mountains of New Hampshire to the ski slopes of Colorado, from the heart of Miami's South Beach to NYC's Times Square.

Between the death of Frank Wells, the negative campaign that cost us Disney's America in VA., the financial pains of Euro Disney and the takeover of ABC/Cap Cities, Eisner and Disney got very conservative on the DVC business. And Iger has stayed the same way. Aulani exists for multiple reasons, but part of it was to one day take advantage of the location to combine with AbD tours and DCL cruises. That really hasn't happened. And I don't care how beautiful it is, it is in one of the worst locations on Oahu. It also isn't doing great or CMs wouldn't be able to book there for 60-70% rack most of the year.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hi @WDW1974. Any word on the Frozen attraction for DL? I ve been reading rumors that the expansion pad shown in the Mice Chat map for SWL is not for Frozen but for a backstage building. Has folks thinking that Toontown is still on the chopping block. I guess it may be either way though.

Also, is 2020 still realistic for Marvel Land at DCA? The layout of that land is going to be interesting with the Hyperion and animation building right in the middle of everything... or will they be?

Nothing lately. I am wondering if the plan is still to clone the TDS ride (yes, it is happening ... just was delayed and pushed back behind other projects). Recall that rushed HKDL leak followed by announcement that included what sure seemed like a clone of WDW's shoehorned ride with Olaf and the Weird Sisters. That seemed like a very odd and cheap choice when you could do the more pricey trackless sleds version. But I readily admit that I am not getting constant info on these things. I don't believe the location for the attraction has changed one bit.

Oh yeah, on 2020. Have strong and recent info that they're shooting for having much of this done by summer of that year. And looking at how SWE is moving along, I do think that may be realistic.

Nothing I know of says they're touching Hyperion as a facility!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Perhaps it's because more people read your posts, so more of them get reported? ;) Had I known about Frank from New Mexico's post it would have been deleted, also. Too bad you can't remember the thread.

Are you saying I am more popular than Frank?!??! NO WAY?!??!

I don't really care about it, just pointing it out because it's a fact. Taking shots at Obama is simply not very likely to get reported and, especially, when it is someone ... someone ... with a habit of talking out of his tushie just 'cause. It was likely either the gondola thread or one of the EPCOT ones. I didn't report it because a little politics don't bother me. But it will likely sit out there forever when something harmless (like calling Rick Scott Governor Voldemort) won't. Believe me, I have far bigger worries in life!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have a feeling those Marvel plans are going back and forth. First, it's behind the TOT, then it's in front out into the esplanade. Now people are saying the Cap coaster is back behind the TOT GOTG:MB.

wimbledon-cats.gif

Coaster, which is far more than that, has always (to my knowledge ***requisite disclaimer so I can never be called wrong!) been planned for behind ToT. Doesn't mean that it couldn't CHANGE!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom