A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

WildcatDen

I groaned audibly the first time I saw the Maleficent trailer.

Someone actually managed to do a Wicked twist on a Disney film, but it ended up being a college theater company. Check out Twisted:The Untold Story of a Royal Vizier if you need a laugh or some de-pixie-dusting
Saw that live. It was very entertaining and albeit head scratching at times, plausible. Other than the Tiger F'r chants. . . Of course, StarKid is no ordinary College Theater Company. This was the same group behind the A Very Potter musicals. . . The cast stayed after to sign items and meet fans. Both my kids got to meet everyone.

Princess Leia

Saw that live. It was very entertaining and albeit head scratching at times, plausible. Other than the Tiger F'r chants. . . Of course, StarKid is no ordinary College Theater Company. This was the same group behind the A Very Potter musicals. . . The cast stayed after to sign items and meet fans. Both my kids got to meet everyone.
Twisted has had an unfortunate effect on me. Whenever I watch Aladdin now, and Achmed shows up, I chant "Tiger F'r, Tiger F'r!"

The cast is incredibly sweet. After one of the Starship shows, a friend of mine called me so I could talk to Joe Walker and Brian Holden. They're great with their fans.

MotherOfBirds

I've been a big fan since they first released AVPM. I think they really nailed how to properly skewer Disney without going full Katzenberg.

DinoInstitute

The exclusion of Dory seems to be speak volumes for sequel boredom (even though I loved that movie), so Pixar better take a good hard look at their upcoming projects.
I think it's much more the fact that Dory just wasn't a great movie.
As for Disney main moneymaker which is animated and songs, Zootopia and Moana both nominated for Animated Film against Universal's Kubo and the Two Strings and Sing. In best original song, Moana only got nominated for How far I'll go and up against Can't Stop The Feeling (Trolls) and Faith (Sing). It seems the competition has been rising against Disney.
Nonetheless it would be beyond shocking for me if Moana didn't get it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
$45?? holy....

A top of the line pizza at Via Napoli (Realizing it's the other coast but still) runs about 1/2 that cost and is the best pizza I've ever tasted.

I'm with the person who said they think Disney is trying to throw everything at upcharges because they're trying to offset some possibly bad earnings reports or something...it sure seems that way.

Please recall that during the last Disney earnings call they called the environment for 2017 'challenging' immediately after this earning call all kinds of upcharges appear, Since Disney is all about pumping the stock price I expect to see a higher level of buybacks and even more upcharge events and service cuts at the US parks.

MrPromey

My feelings, exactly. I know it got good reviews but we were incredibly underwhelmed. This second story just felt so much weaker, had almost no serious risk (and what risk that was presented, could have been avoided or done without) and had some scenes that really required you to stretch your suspension of disbelief - even for an animated movie.

As a studio that prides themselves on making movies for a general audience that are appropriate for children to watch, this felt a lot like a direct-to-dvd children's movie sequel to me and mine.

Princess Leia

Nonetheless it would be beyond shocking for me if Moana didn't get it.
We're going to need to agree to disagree about Dory ;)
The Golden Globes don't have a history of sequel hate. Cars 2 and Despicable Me 2 have been nominated for the award, and Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon 2 have won. I just feel like with the sheer number of animated sequels coming out, the voters are going to sway in favor of the original movies (Secret Life of Pets felt a little too much like Toy Story to be truly original). Pixar has 3 sequels in production (and Coco). Of the two movies it has coming out next year, Coco probably has a better chance of being nominated.

doctornick

I mean, Moana was nominated in the two areas I expected. The exclusion of Dory seems to be speak volumes for sequel boredom (even though I loved that movie), so Pixar better take a good hard look at their upcoming projects.
Disney should be okay in the animation department. They have two entries (like Universal), so there's a 50/50 chance that they win something (My Life as a Zucchini is also nominated, but I don't see it winning).

Kubo and the Two Strings was made by Laika and AFAIK has nothing to do with Universal. It was distributed by Focus Features.

I'm sure that Disney isn't the least bit worried about animation. For starters, they are almost certainly going to win both the Golden Globe and Oscar in the category (I'd guess Zootopia winning, but wouldn't be surprised to see Moana get either and Kubo is the only other film that has a shot). And all of their animated films have been making bank in recent years (The Good Dinosaur really being the only exception).

More telling than Dory not getting nominated for a Golden Globe is that Secret Life of Pets didn't. There's always a (justified) bias against sequels in these types of awards shows and Finding Dory wasn't really that remarkable.

StevieRay

Kubo and the Two Strings was made by Laika and AFAIK has nothing to do with Universal. It was distributed by Focus Features.

I'm sure that Disney isn't the least bit worried about animation. For starters, they are almost certainly going to win both the Golden Globe and Oscar in the category (I'd guess Zootopia winning, but wouldn't be surprised to see Moana get either and Kubo is the only other film that has a shot). And all of their animated films have been making bank in recent years (The Good Dinosaur really being the only exception).

More telling than Dory not getting nominated for a Golden Globe is that Secret Life of Pets didn't. There's always a (justified) bias against sequels in these types of awards shows and Finding Dory wasn't really that remarkable.
A lot of people would disagree with your last statement. Finding Dory was highest-grossing film of 2016, and the highest-grossing animated movie of all time.

yellowrocket

Speaking of kids who haven't seen the classics, I'd put the ones in the video below to shame. LOL.

I think I'm gonna call shenanigans on the kid that said his grand dad wrote the opening speech for Disneyland. Or, is that Marty's grandkid?

Oh... and Super Nintendo World may be great and all... but can it compete with DisneyQuest?
(Mario was only 17 years old when DisneyQuest opened. When SNW opens, DisneyQuest will be 22)

doctornick

I wonder if Marvel is happy Deadpool was nominated for Best Picture at the Golden Globes or not because its not in the MCU?

I don't see why it would matter to them. Deadpool was nominated in Best Comedy/Musical and none of Disney's Marvel films would be in that category -- while they certainly have abundant humor, they are are all action films and would be eligible under best drama. I don't think Disney is under any illusions of any of their superhero films ever being considered during award seasons for anything other than technical categories (if that) so it's hard to see them be disappointed about it.

That said, I think Disney would probably be quite happy with Deadpool getting recognition for multiple reasons. For starters, there's the generic "rising tide raises all boats" idea that any time comic book films get critical praise that it elevates the genre, which often is looked down upon. More importantly, the Deadpool film rights are more favorable to Disney than all the other rights -- they make a greater percentage of the box office, film related merchandise and such than they do for the likes of the X-Men and Fantastic Four (I know it seems odd, but Deadpool was licensed separately from the X-Men to Fox and has much more favorable terms for Disney/Marvel). That's partially why Marvel promoted the character of Deadpool much more at the time of that film than they do for other properties they have licensed out.

And, finally, they own Deadpool the character and make (non-film related) money via comic books and merchandise, etc.. Surely they'd be happy to see any press promoting an IP they own. It's not like this is a competitor's IP (i.e. a DC character).

GiveMeTheMusic

Focus Features is a wholly-owned division of Universal.

I may be one of the few but I was not impressed with Pets. It certainly didn't hold up against the incredible work of WDAS this year.

doctornick

A lot of people would disagree with your last statement. Finding Dory was highest-grossing film of 2016, and the highest-grossing animated movie of all time.

Finding Dory was a perfectly fine film, but it did not have the critical praise of Zootopia or Moana (or Kubo for that matter). Obviously, the strong box office reflects how the movie was well liked by the general audiences, but they aren't the ones voting on these awards.

Captain America: Civil War was the highest grossing film of the year worldwide and I don't see it's name on any of the categories for the Golden Globes.

Princess Leia

Finding Dory was a perfectly fine film, but it did not have the critical praise of Zootopia or Moana (or Kubo for that matter). Obviously, the strong box office reflects how the movie was well liked by the general audiences, but they aren't the ones voting on these awards.

Captain America: Civil War was the highest grossing film of the year worldwide and I don't see it's name on any of the categories for the Golden Globes.
Golden Globes typically don't give tech awards. Civil War will probably be nominated for Visual Effects (and lose to another film, maybe Arrival).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom