A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Mike S

Wait, is this sarcasm or did I miss something?
I thought all the new star wars stuff was going to be screen-based.
The Millenium Falcon will be and I think a few in the Battle ride like Shanghai's Pirates unless that last part is old info.

Stevek

If nothing else, if Disney goes forward with a Guardians overlay for the Florida Tower, it will be fun to watch the hysterical backlash from casual fans on social media. The chorus of boos when Disney unveiled the California version at comiccon was a good start.

Observation: the Florida Tower will have had a pretty good run. At this point, it's been in operation nearly as long as 20,000 Leagues was.
Backlash...but they will all be there opening day to ride it.

Quinnmac000

Ironic on one side, you have Disney putting in very little effort with Marvel and then on the other they are throwing all their coins in a basket with Star Wars. While doing so, pushing away business partners and then you are setting yourself up for failure later on when it comes to future lands within Disney.

As Spirit said, it helped that J K Rowling already had food ideas and they were throughout the books. Star Wars besides blue milk and the instant bread which is supposedly really nasty tasty, there is nothing from the movies that makes a sensible dish. You also create that precedent for all future lands to create truly unique food dishes which Disney really lacks. Also with Star Wars land/Pandora, if they do try to include more Marvel if its not to the same level as those other two lands, people won't be impressed and all that good will garnered will be for nothing.

FigmentJedi

WDW1974

Original Poster
I haven't had much time to read today, but have skimmed plenty ... and my email and voicemail have both been rather entertaining to start Halloween weekend.

I did see more than a few posts talking about whether you should simply take your business away from Disney if you are dissatisfied with this or any other decision. My take is simply as follows. If it bothers you to the point that you get no enjoyment or very little from what Disney is offering, then by all means, yes, you should take your money and go home.

But if you still love the place, still get enjoyment from visiting (even if it is simply because you are out with people you love), then I'd advise against a boycott because, rest assured, it will only hurt you and never them.

Disney doesn't care. And even big boycotts don't mean a thing. Remember a few decades ago when hating and discriminating against gays was still kewl? Remember when members of religious right groups were visiting Pleasure Island clubs during Gay Days and taking videos of (HORROR!!!!) bois being bois? And remember all those calls for boycotts and all the people who did stay away? Yeah, it didn't add up to a damn thing.

You staying away won't. If thousands of Guests did so based on this, it still wouldn't.

Disney doesn't care. Say it with me. Repeat frequently.

If you were a fan of Walt and Roy's Disney all the way into Michael and Frank's, then they really don't want you as a customer (don't insult yourself by calling yourself a Guest). They don't want you demanding or expecting they live up to their reputation and often obscene pricing versus value. They don't want you complaining when things inevitably are not what they are supposed to be. They'd rather you just go away.

So, a boycott may leave you with more cash and open credit, but that is all it will do. It might give you satisfaction on some level, like the people who say they won't vote in this election because they don't like the candidates.

Do what feels right would be my advice. Just don't expect Disney to care one way or the other.

tl77

I haven't had much time to read today, but have skimmed plenty ... and my email and voicemail have both been rather entertaining to start Halloween weekend.

I did see more than a few posts talking about whether you should simply take your business away from Disney if you are dissatisfied with this or any other decision. My take is simply as follows. If it bothers you to the point that you get no enjoyment or very little from what Disney is offering, then by all means, yes, you should take your money and go home.

But if you still love the place, still get enjoyment from visiting (even if it is simply because you are out with people you love), then I'd advise against a boycott because, rest assured, it will only hurt you and never them.

Disney doesn't care. And even big boycotts don't mean a thing. Remember a few decades ago when hating and discriminating against gays was still kewl? Remember when members of religious right groups were visiting Pleasure Island clubs during Gay Days and taking videos of (HORROR!!!!) bois being bois? And remember all those calls for boycotts and all the people who did stay away? Yeah, it didn't add up to a damn thing.

You staying away won't. If thousands of Guests did so based on this, it still wouldn't.

Disney doesn't care. Say it with me. Repeat frequently.

If you were a fan of Walt and Roy's Disney all the way into Michael and Frank's, then they really don't want you as a customer (don't insult yourself by calling yourself a Guest). They don't want you demanding or expecting they live up to their reputation and often obscene pricing versus value. They don't want you complaining when things inevitably are not what they are supposed to be. They'd rather you just go away.

So, a boycott may leave you with more cash and open credit, but that is all it will do. It might give you satisfaction on some level, like the people who say they won't vote in this election because they don't like the candidates.

Do what feels right would be my advice. Just don't expect Disney to care one way or the other.
Somethings Disney still cares about... but only on the west coast

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hey @WDW1974, seems like you're suggesting the Mickey Mouse ride might not happen. Any idea on what will take that spot if so...? Surely, unfortunately, it would not be what is already there if the new park's new theme is IGERland.

Also, more so, it seems like an Imagineer behind the project left, but why would it be abandoned? Seems like a good way to tie Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar etc all together - the Mouse owns them all.

It might not happen. I have a source who ... has access to something I wish to see badly. No, not plans for this attraction. They exist and I have seen them. That means only that plans exist. Lots of plans for lots of things do.

And by no means does one Imagineer, however impressive a pedigree, mean a project goes forward or doesn't. I'm just saying I have no proof or no confirmation of this happening.

A lot of information has been leaked by a lot of people of late ... and Disney is leaving a lot of stuff available to even the lowest levels of cast IF they know how to find it/where to look. I don't think this is by accident either. I've been told Disney is trying to track things like access to its databases by low level CMs and even non-employees.

It's why while I have been offered Hub access from a few people, I would never do so. I'll read on their devices and look over shoulders and such ... but I would never allow their access to appear on an IP that wasn't theirs. I may be insane, but I'm not stupid!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have like 80 questions, but I'll siphon it down to one @WDW1974

Will the park formerly known as MGM soon to be formerly known as Disney Hollywood Studios ever actually have a double digit number of rides, before it turns 35...?

Never ever ever ... not in your lifetime, which I hope is very long. Nope.

See, I can answer a direct question with a short answer!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seeing as how they could possibly be re-theming the ToT, it would not surprise me one bit if RnR were to follow, creating an entire Marvel Land. Up that one side of the park you would then have ML, TSL and SWL - 3 IP based areas within what will become Disney's IP Park. Bonus for Disney, since it would be overlays as opposed to brand new builds, it could be done much cheaper. Not so much of a bonus for the many die hard fans out there though.

There will be a significant Marvel component to the new Bob Iger IP Land MAGIC Park (yeah, I renamed it again!) and, NO, I am not saying Disney is 'making' UNI give up its Marvel characters (as near as I can tell that will never happen). But DIS is going to use whatever characters and properties it is allowed and is going to (talks have already happened ... or at least 'overtures' as I've been told) about Disney giving up certain assets (don't think theme parks here) to possibly be allowed a limited use of Marvel IP in O-Town, while UNI keeps using everything it can for decades to come ...

I do believe this is another reason why this project is being pushed ahead slowly (beyond the PR backlash). Pixar moves in first, Lucas moves in second, some new Disney stuff moves in third and then ... then ... Marvel has a home at Disney's resort in the swamps.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Amazing how human delusions don't change with the millennia. "I shall be more glorious because I have destroyed what you built!"

And people think Iger likes the theme parks...

Well, he likes them when he can plant a Disney flag in the Chinese Mainland. He likes them when he can destroy what those who came before built and replace them with his own acquisitions as you said above ... I view him like people who buy pricey houses in SoCal and SoFla and then totally rip the down to the foundations almost and basically build something new. If you want something new, then simply build it and see if people like it. The fact is Iger doesn't have enough faith that a Star Wars/Marvel/IP type park would be successful, so it goes on top of what people have enjoyed for decades.

Anyway, World Series on ... time to pay attention to something else.

FigmentJedi

I view him like people who buy pricey houses in SoCal and SoFla and then totally rip the down to the foundations almost and basically build something new.
Or those people that bought Walt's original LA Bungalow and plotted to tear it down for condos or some crap like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom