A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

erider

The Guardians were definitely headed there. They really were. But when the price tag of the project went over, by a considerable margin,the cost of Radiator Springs Racers (the most expensive theme park attraction ever built) the whole thing went back to the drawing board and during that period, WDI just kept working on a WDW Tower redo. BTW, as near as I can tell, much of the meat of this attraction was going to be similar to the mega-E-Ticket Captain America coaster hybrid planned for DCA.

Man, that GOTG replacement for UOE just sounds awesome. I was actually looking forward to that very much. How annoying that Disney is too cheap again to really spend the necessary funds to make this super E-ticket happen. Epcot could really use a ride that blows all other rides in Orlando out of the water.

SorcererMC

Welcome to the new Disney :facepalm::(:banghead:

they would like to thank all of their suckers I mean guests who continue to pay for all of the constantly increasing priced things (while cuts take place elsewhere to projects and entertainment) to help pay for our magical retirement

Fixed that for you. The only future they care about is their own, certainly not the future of the company. They are sowing the seeds of brand implosion by eroding the foundation it was built on. I'd say it's mind-boggling but $$$ and hubris. It's infuriating and sad. While I think that SW and Marvel should have a place at DHS, I can't think of any good reason for them to destroy this iconic attraction.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Fixed that for you. The only future they care about is their own, certainly not the future of the company. They are sowing the seeds of brand implosion by eroding the foundation it was built on. I'd say it's mind-boggling but $$$ and hubris. It's infuriating and sad. While I think that SW and Marvel should have a place at DHS, I can't think of any good reason for them to destroy this iconic attraction.

maybe they'll remove Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and It's a Small World next. Also that castle, it's just in the way... I mean people have to walk around it to get to overpriced food and dvc booths...

SorcererMC

maybe they'll remove Haunted Mansion and It's a Small World next. Also that castle, it's just in the way... I mean people have to walk around it to get to overpriced food and dvc booths... they might as well remove it too
I'm also uncomfortable with the slippery slope/ precedent this establishes.

ETA: especially if merch sales is the metric being used to determine the 'success' of an attraction.

Virtual Toad

I am not framing it as a negative, although I have all sorts of concerns and I am blunt about them. When one IP is selected as special and bigger than DL itself, how should a Disney fan feel? SW is something I enjoy to some degree ... but not nearly as much as Star Trek or even the James Bond films. I still wouldn't want any of them in DL.

Disney is clearly attempting to stick a Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley type bubble around an area that will be part of DL. Again, it doesn't fit. I am not talking about the quality of the area because I am expecting it to be top notch. It's about sticking a round peg into a square hole and demanding it fit because of the ego of a CEO. I find it troubling.

The only silver lining to what they're doing with Star Wars at Disneyland is that someone with brains and vision managed to tuck the entire land into the back of the park in such a way that a) some but relatively minimal damage will be done to the park itself (compared to what they could have ripped out) and b) it will be possible to still enjoy a "classic" day at DL without ever stepping foot into SWL.

They literally found a way to hide this Iger vanity project way in the back of the park-- and that's about the best they could do given the mandate from up on high. Although wouldn't it have been much, much less expensive just to go with the temporary Hyperspace Mountain/Season of the Force thing and reap the rewards while the SW buzz lasts?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
A GOTG overlay on the ToT would be like losing the original Journey Into Imagination.

I liked the original Journey...but I personally wouldn't rank it on the same level as ToT

As for IP rides, I'm not so bothered by what they use as long as they do it well - the problem I have is taking something that is considered one of the top attractions Disney has ever built and replace the theme with another IP just to save $ and because they want marvel in the parks so bad they can't stand it

I think I would redo RnC before ToT - but rumor has it it's the Twilight Zone licensing cost pushing this too

KBLovedDisney

I...am probably going to catch a lot of flack for saying this, but I do agree that this does suck that they are getting rid of Hollywood (MGM) studios main icon. However, they are moving forward. This could be a major fail on their part (like getting rid of Horizons), but if they are going in the right direction, they may very well surprise us with new things. Optimism, yes.

ParentsOf4

A GOTG overlay on the ToT would be like losing the original Journey Into Imagination.
Worse. Tower of Terror is arguably the best attraction at WDW and is in the finest tradition of Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. It's the closest thing to perfection that Disney has created at WDW in the last 30 years.

There are so many other areas at WDW that need so much work.

Overlaying GotG (which I like) on top of WDW's Tower of Terror would qualify as Iger's biggest bone-headed move ever, and that's saying a lot.

Last edited:

flyerjab

Worse. Tower of Terror is arguably the best attraction at WDW and is in the finest tradition of Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. It's the closest thing to perfection that Disney has created at WDW in the last 30 years.

Overlaying GotG (which I like) on top of WDW's Tower of Terror would qualify as the Iger's biggest bone-headed move ever, and that's saying a lot.

Seeing as how they could possibly be re-theming the ToT, it would not surprise me one bit if RnR were to follow, creating an entire Marvel Land. Up that one side of the park you would then have ML, TSL and SWL - 3 IP based areas within what will become Disney's IP Park. Bonus for Disney, since it would be overlays as opposed to brand new builds, it could be done much cheaper. Not so much of a bonus for the many die hard fans out there though.

EPCOTCenterLover

I'd rank Journey into Imagination on par with Tower of Terror- easily- they are just very different. The turntable opening was spectacular, and the entire ride was among the most creative work that ever came out of Imagineering. The exterior was just as striking. Instant fan favorite with memorable characters, all created by Disney and not some other company.

The Empress Lilly

Also that castle, it's just in the way... I mean people have to walk around it to get to overpriced food and dvc booths...
Actually...with the passageway now closed nearly all day and the MK increasingly used for hard ticketed events in the evening, you DO have to walk around that castle to get to NFL's restaurants and timeshare booth.

Iger's way ahead of us! :)

Reality has long overtaken even our most bizarre parodies.

lazyboy97o

Overlaying GotG (which I like) on top of WDW's Tower of Terror would qualify as the Iger's biggest bone-headed move ever, and that's saying a lot.
Amazing how human delusions don't change with the millennia. "I shall be more glorious because I have destroyed what you built!"

And people think Iger likes the theme parks...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom